This motherhood thing? It’s a lot of work. And a lot of the time, it can feel like a pretty thankless task. Especially when it’s been, oh I don’t know, approximately 5,000 years since you got a solid eight hours of sleep.
When I’m that tired, and stressed, and cranky, it can be hard to remember what’s good about this whole mom thing. When all I want to do is sit on the dang couch and drool, it can be tough to stay cheerful through another round of “On Top of Old Smoky.”
But Mom is a pretty awesome thing to be (especially when the kid’s finally asleep). Here are 10 things I love:
- Those two or three minutes, right after I pull her out of the crib in the morning, when she throws her arms around my neck and hugs me with all her might.
- The way she says, out of nowhere, “mommy, you’re so beautiful.” Or, “I like your shirt.” Or, “I love your hair.”
- The moment after a temper tantrum when she looks at me and says, “mommy, I don’t like to be grumpy.”
- The way she spins, grinning wildly, when a song comes on that she loves.
- Watching her swing, throwing her head back to stare at the sky and shrieking, “I flllyyyying!”
- The heavy weight of her sleepy body curled against me during a midnight snuggle.
- The way her eyes light up when we reunite after a long day of work and daycare.
- Listening to her spin stories as she plays with her toys by herself.
- Her laugh. Oh how I love her gleeful little laugh.
- The way she looks snuggled in her daddy’s lap as she shares his breakfast in the morning.
Huh. As it turns out, there are more than 10 things I love about being a mom. I could keep going and going and going…
But instead, I’m going to shut down this computer and enjoy the one hour (the only hour) I have to enjoy being plain old me before bedtime.