The journey that began with the quiet click of a mouse four months ago ended with the thunderous sound of applause and a standing ovation on Thursday night.

And what a journey it’s been.

At the start, I was alone in my head, afraid my post would get chosen – and afraid it wouldn’t.

Then came the nerves of the audition, the triumph of the “hey we like you” email, and the anticipation of things to come.

At the beginning of April, we met for the first time to drink some wine, read through our stories, and get a feeling for how the show would go.

And the talent in that room? Humbled me beyond measure. I cried great big ugly tears through the sad ones, laughed belly laughs through the happy ones, and quietly thought “I am not worthy” throughout the whole evening.

When I left, I wasn’t sure if I could do it.

But I kept going anyway.

Next came the technical rehearsal. We gathered on stage in the empty theater, practiced our entrances and exits, and ran through the show again.

The empty Listen To Your Mother theater

That’s when things got real.

We looked at each other. At the empty seats. At the lights shining down on the podium. And, while I can’t speak for the others, I know I was thinking, “Holy crap, we’re really going to do this thing. Wow. Shit.”

The next few days were lost in a haze of nerves as I tried on 50,000 different outfits, ran through my piece in my head 100,000,000 different times, and in between, tried to work.

The big day arrived, along with bouquets of flowers and last minute worries about my un-waxed eyebrows. I snipped and snapped at my family as I watched the clock tick down, both willing it to hurry up and hoping it wouldn’t.

Finally, it was time to go.

The next few hours passed quickly. There was a flurry of pictures, more than a few hugs, some nervous nibbling and noshing, and the last minute gulping  of wine directly from the bottle.

As the opening slide show ran, we gathered in the wings. We giggled like school girls and sent noisy, anxious breaths whooshing out.

Then the curtains rose and the show began.

The LTYM show begins

At times, the laughter was so loud, the readers had to step back from the podium to wait for it to quiet.

At others, gulping sobs and sniffed back tears filled the auditorium.

Then it was my turn.

I clacked up to the podium, squinted past the bright spotlight at the audience, and my nerves disappeared.

Amber Page at the Listen To Your Mother Indianapolis podium.

I think I did okay. I haven’t actually been able to watch the video my husband took yet.

I know I got some laughs. I heard some sniffs at the right places. And I didn’t actually break down in tears while reading.

When I returned to my seat,  it was with a feeling of extreme relief coupled with triumph.

I did it. I f’ing did it.

Later, while basking in the applause, I couldn’t quite believe it was over.

The Listen To Your Mother Indianapolis casts basks in the applause

And I really didn’t want it to be.

Being part of the Listen To Your Mother Show was an indescribably wonderful experience. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

So if you’re out there, thinking about submitting something for next year’s show? Don’t think. Just do.

You won’t regret it.

16 Comments on They Came. They Listened. They Clapped: The Listen To Your Mother Show – Indianapolis.

1. hollow tree ventures
    May 6, 2013 at 10:01 am (3 years ago)

You described the experience exactly – right after I sat back down, I started thinking about next year. 😉 You did such a fantastic job! Tickled and honored to have met you and the rest of our Indy cast, and to have shared this experience with such an amazing group of women.

May 7, 2013 at 5:18 pm (3 years ago)

It was amazing, wasn’t it? And now I can say I know a best selling author! Seriously, though, I’m honored to have been included in a cast with the likes of you. :)

2. Wendy
    May 7, 2013 at 12:24 am (3 years ago)

I’m so very proud of you, Amber!! xo

May 7, 2013 at 5:17 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you (I’m pretty proud of me too :)).

3. Lady Jennie
    May 7, 2013 at 2:35 pm (3 years ago)

You look really beautiful Amber. I wish I could have been there to hear it.

May 7, 2013 at 5:16 pm (3 years ago)

Aww, thank you. I wish you had been there too, so I could finally hug you in person!

4. Ashley K
    May 7, 2013 at 4:00 pm (3 years ago)

That’s awesome! You did it! Congrats! :)

May 7, 2013 at 5:16 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you, lady! It was a blast!

5. Kate Coveny Hood
    May 8, 2013 at 4:53 pm (3 years ago)

I think you perfectly expressed so many feelings that anyone in a LTYM cast has had. Even (maybe even especially) the producers! Can’t wait to see your video later this summer!

6. Jen
    May 8, 2013 at 7:38 pm (3 years ago)

Congratulations! I remember my experience on stage well… it was amazing. Something you will carry with you forever. I can’t wait to see the video.

7. Barbara Shoff
    May 8, 2013 at 9:05 pm (3 years ago)

Way to go! I know the blast and awesome experience you had. OKC LTYM-2013

8. Amy
    May 9, 2013 at 1:55 am (3 years ago)

Well put, Amber! What an amazing night! So grateful to have had a chance to share it with you.

9. Michelle@Gotchababy
    May 13, 2013 at 9:36 am (3 years ago)

I love this – and am SO GLAD you were a part of this Indianapolis LTYM. And you did absolutely more than OK the night of show!!!! xoxoxo

10. football
    September 2, 2014 at 5:20 pm (1 year ago)

This design is steller! You definitely know how to keep a reader amused.

Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Wonderful job.
    I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how
    you presented it. Too cool!

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on They Came. They Listened. They Clapped: The Listen To Your Mother Show – Indianapolis.

1. […] been a little more than four months since I read as part of the Listen To Your Mother Show (which tied my gut up in knots for […]

2. […] been a little more than four months since I read as part of the Listen To Your Mother Show (which tied my gut up in knots for […]