In Weight Loss, Good Enough Sometimes Is.

Yesterday morning, I got on the scale for the first weigh-in of the “Let’s Get Physical” weight loss challenge I’m participating in.

I was worried. I hadn’t been perfect, by any means.

There was the steak at Outback on Saturday. The one that was worth double the points I thought it was.

And the pumpkin muffin, bought while on a sugar low.

And more than one glass of wine.

But still I managed to lose more than two pounds!

Me on Day One of the Challenge/

I’ve been here before, of course.

I get all excited for a week or two, and the pounds start dropping off. But then I get lazy. And sloppy. I sneak in a couple extra bites of cake. Forget to track a glass of wine or two. And, most damning of all, get “too busy” to move my body and sweat a little.

Then the weight loss stops and I get discouraged. I decide that perhaps I’m just meant to be heavy. That being skinny isn’t all it’s cracked up to be, anyway.

Soon, the desserts make a comeback.

The treadmill gets dusty.

And my stomach stays flabby.

I hope this time will be different. I feel that it could be. I think I could be back to my “healthy” weight by Christmas.

I’d sure like to wear a size in the single digits again.

I want to be a good role model for my daughter. I want to show her that eating right and exercising regularly are, well, just things that we should do to take care of our bodies.

So I’ve got to keep the momentum going.

I’ve got to feed my inner stress eater with fruit, not cookies.

I’ve got to start my day with exercise, not five rounds of the snooze alarm.

I’ve got to keep on keeping on.

Wish me luck.

Enhanced by Zemanta

15 Comments on In Weight Loss, Good Enough Sometimes Is.

1. Natalie
    September 12, 2012 at 11:23 pm (3 years ago)

You can do it, Amber! So glad you’re doing this challenge! And that dress? Adorable!

September 13, 2012 at 9:20 am (3 years ago)

Thank you! It’s good to have such a great group working together, isn’t it?

2. Jackie
    September 13, 2012 at 8:28 am (3 years ago)

First of all I LOVE that dress!!

And second… you can do this! Just make small goals like 5 pounds lost by Halloween or something like that. Once the weight starts dropping you’ll be encouraged to keep at it!

September 13, 2012 at 9:20 am (3 years ago)

I’m shooting for 10 by my birthday. In early October. We’ll see…but it doesn’t hurt to try!

3. ERin
    September 13, 2012 at 8:43 am (3 years ago)

You are doing great!! Stay on it!! take a pic each week in that dress- then you can see the actual changes – sometimes they are subtle!!

YOu will do this!!! You are looking good alreayd!!!

September 13, 2012 at 9:19 am (3 years ago)

That’s a really good idea – I might do that! Might as well take advice from this week’s winner, right? Keep it up!

4. Ashley Brown
    September 13, 2012 at 9:05 am (3 years ago)

I believe that you can do it as you have so much courage. It is nice that you want to become the role model for your daughter. I must say you are going in right direction. But do remember one thing never ever give up.

5. addie @ culicurious
    September 13, 2012 at 10:43 am (3 years ago)

Congrats on the progress! :) Small steps will add up big in the end!

6. Betsy
    September 13, 2012 at 1:09 pm (3 years ago)

Amber this is great! You have to remember not to beat yourself up. Tomorrow is ALWAYS a new opportunity to start again if you have a slip up. I think the MOST important lesson for your daughter is to never give up…on anything! Also remember that if certain “diet tricks” or whatever weren’t sustainable in the past, they won’t be this time either. Keep searching for what works for you, and I know you’ll be successful. Keep on truckin’! Ps. Love your blue/red outfit color combo!

7. Rebeccah
    September 13, 2012 at 3:42 pm (3 years ago)

Firstly, helllllo dress. Adorable! Secondly, yes, you can do it – I have full faith and confidence in you. :-)

8. Christina
    September 13, 2012 at 6:47 pm (3 years ago)

Way to go girlie! You can do totally do this!

9. wendy
    September 13, 2012 at 11:17 pm (3 years ago)

Adorable dress!!
    You’re gonna rock this!!

10. Lori Anderson
    September 14, 2012 at 11:06 am (3 years ago)

Hi Amber – Your post sounds like you’re in my head. I’m in the same boat, and it’s great that you have a group challenge to be involved in to help motivate you. I’ll watch and be inspired by your journey and wish you all the best!! I just got my Core Body Reformer from Bowflex that was demo’d at BlogHer ’12 and plan to open that baby up today and take it for a spin… Fingers crossed for both of us! Smile, Lori

11. Kat
    September 14, 2012 at 11:39 am (3 years ago)

Congratulations, Amber! Stay the course! You are being a terrific role model for your daughter, showing her how to value and care for yourself.
    You can do this!!!

12. Kate Mortell Cawley
    September 17, 2012 at 12:49 pm (3 years ago)

I have lost 40 pounds, but it has taken me TEN YEARS. Every day you get on the scale and you haven’t gained weight is a successful day. Don’t be too hard on yourself. The longer it takes to lose the weight, the less likely the pounds will return.
    I recommend making one small, do-able rule and fully incorporating it as part of your new, permanent eating habits.
    For example, a good rule that goes a long way is NO DEEP FRIED FOODS. Even at KFC, there are grilled options. Or NO CHOCOLATE. Whatever you think you can do.
    Whatever you methods, I wish you the best, sister. It is not easy.