The Latest Wrench.

The other day, I was feeling pretty awesome about my life as a working mom.

Three years in, I finally have some semblance of a routine down. I’ve even almost figured out how to balance work, freelance gigs, and my family and still have room for a life.

So of course the universe has to throw a wrench in the works. This one in the form of a massive biting spree by my three-year-old. One that has her daycare sending her home in the middle of the day – for the other children’s safety.

Add in thrice daily meltdowns with a child so angry she’s literally vibrating, plus a few million complaints about how school is awful and how she wants her mommy to stay home, and you get one upset mommy.

A mommy who’s also getting used to a new job, in a new environment, with all the stressors that go along with it.

A mommy who’s back to her old stress eating ways (but that pumpkin cream cheese muffin sure tasted good).

I’m sure we’ll get through this. I’m sure this is a temporary setback.

But it doesn’t really feel like it right now.

Right now, I’m hoping I haven’t passed my emotional health issues on to my munchkin. And that I’m not completely messing her up by working.

Not that not working is a choice. Because it isn’t.

But, you know. My inner lioness isn’t really a rational being. She just wants to protect her baby, whatever the cost.

Screw you, universe.

As for you, my dear friends? If you have any anti-biting advice, I’m all ears (again).

6 Comments on The Latest Wrench.

1. Andi
    April 19, 2012 at 10:00 am (4 years ago)

Having just gone back to work, I get these feelings every time I drop my kicking and screaming toddler off at daycare. It’s miserable. I just have to keep reminding myself that I am not a good SAHM so this is for the best for both of us.

And the biting? I got nothing. Maybe douse everyone else in hot sauce? Then she probably won’t go for them.

2. Robbie
    April 19, 2012 at 11:14 am (4 years ago)

Those darn wrenches have a way of bringing us back to reality. I taught pre-k for 12 years and worked with at risk 3-5 year olds. Kids are going to bite. It happens. I am a bit concerned about the school’s policy of sending her home when she bites. It doesn’t take a psychologist to see that it is actually encouraging her biting…she hates school and want to go home and if she bites she gets to go home with mommy.

What is going on in the classroom? how could they alter environment and routines to help her? Many times kids bite b/c they don’t have the language skills to express their frustrations.

3. Shell
    April 19, 2012 at 2:13 pm (4 years ago)

It seems like something always happens whenever I finally feel like I’m in a groove.

I did have a biter… and I do have advice(this is not popular with everyone but one of his teachers suggested it and our ped said it wouldn’t hurt AND it worked). Right after he would bite, I’d dip a q-tip in listerine(the strong minty kind) and swab his gums with it and tell him NO BITING.

Something about the uncomfortable sensation being in his mouth helped him realize that it was associated with biting and made him stop.

(no one call the cops on me, I really don’t think doing that a few times qualifies as child abuse)

April 24, 2012 at 8:53 am (4 years ago)

I think that sounds like a great idea. And I’ll definitely try it. Thank you!

4. Recovering Supermom
    April 20, 2012 at 1:43 am (4 years ago)

Oy….sorry life has gotten so hard. Your daughter sounds similar to my son. He can really bring up the guilt in me like no other.
    I hope relief comes soon!

April 24, 2012 at 8:52 am (4 years ago)

They all seem to have that talent. I wonder if we still do it to our mothers?