Sometimes, Writing is Living.

by Amber on April 10, 2012

If you’re a writer, you can’t stop writing. You just can’t. If you do, the words build up inside like some kind of mental log jam.

You get a little cranky. A little jittery. Sentences bounce around in your skull. Word pictures bloom unexpectedly. And it all becomes a chaotic mess that you can’t quite fit together in a sensible way.

At least that’s the way I am. And what I’m dealing with today.

I haven’t written here, in this place that has always been a sacred part of my daily routine, for an entire week. And let’s face it. It’s been a long time since I’ve posted regularly.

That’s not entirely a bad thing. While I haven’t been writing, I’ve been out living.

I celebrated my baby girl’s third birthday—and managed not to shed a single tear (at least where anyone could see me).

I planned—and cancelled—a birthday party at the park (but that’s a story deserving of its own post).

I’ve done approximately 20 million loads of laundry and made a good start on conquering the eternal mess that is my home (but that is also a story worthy of its own post).

I made my first Easter dinner. Pretty much on my own. Me. The girl who’s always said she couldn’t cook. And you know what? It didn’t suck (another post? yes.).

I quit one job and accepted another (but I won’t write about that yet. Don’t want to jinx things. You understand).

I’ve gotten into a treadmill routine, and am slowly but surely remembering the joy that moving your body brings.

I’ve played on playgrounds, built a playhouse and spent lots of time looking at a certain little girl’s gorgeous smile.

Tori smiles

But my fingers are itchy. I need to be here. I need to write here. I need to fit writing into living.

I need to write. Even when the words are jumbled up messes.

That’s what a writer does.

Proudly linking up to Just Write.

Facebook Twitter Email

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Amanda @wandering April 10, 2012 at 5:23 pm

That is exactly what a writer does!
When I don’t write, I struggle to find some other outlet. Nothing quite does it like putting thoughts/words down, though.
Amanda @wandering recently posted..dandelions and caterpillars

Jen April 10, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I came to the conclusion a long time a long that not writing on my blog is much like constipation. Just like things get backed up in my belly, things get backed up in my brain and one way or another, things MUST come out.

Sorry for the ‘yicky’ analogy but it fits.

Missy @ Wonder, Friend April 10, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Yes. This. I get it.

PS – I will not say congrats on the job – don’t want to jinx it. But I look forward to hearing more!
Missy @ Wonder, Friend recently posted..My Son, The Hip Hop Mogul in the Making

Born27 April 11, 2012 at 8:32 am

A passion is always a passion. Well, you know, it’s not sometimes. It’s always. It’s always a living. :)
Born27 recently posted..Video Conference Equipment

Lisa Richards April 11, 2012 at 11:17 am

I understand completely! But we need to do the living part, too, or we have nothing to write about, no? Sounds like you have a lot of stories to catch up on! I need to get back into the exercise thing, too. Thanks for sharing your heart, you writer you! ;)

Lady Jennie April 11, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I only feel that way when I’m inspired. And it’s hard to be inspired when I feel submerged by taxes and messes and laundry and screaming kids, etc.
Lady Jennie recently posted..Déjà Vu

Amber April 12, 2012 at 11:38 am

It is indeed. It’s tough to find calm in the chaos.

Unknown Mami April 12, 2012 at 1:10 am

Yes, you do need to write. Scratch those itchy fingers regularly.
Unknown Mami recently posted..A Thank You Note to Ashley Judd

Amber April 12, 2012 at 11:36 am

I’m going to try to do better! Otherwise I might start looking like a meth addict.