The Right Way To Wake Up.

Most mornings at our house are a little bit grumpy. Frowns are rampant, smiles are rare and barely controlled impatience rules the day.

English: A photo of a cup of coffee. Esperanto...Today was different.

Today I woke up before anyone else. Had my shower and my first cup of coffee before the toddler came down. And when she did?

She was all smiles.

Someone tell me, is there going to a blue moon tonight?

After eating her chocolate cookie (a bribe for spending the night in her own bed), she crawled up in daddy’s lap and grinned. She knew he’d share his oatmeal with her.

There were giggles and jokes, fun and games—and not a single frustrated scream.

She got dressed without complaint—choosing a twirly green tutu in honor of St. Patrick’s Day (a day early). And then?

And then we went downstairs and had a dance party.

We shook our booties and twirled until we were dizzy. And after we had collapsed into a heap on the floor, she curled up in my lap, took my head in my hands and said, “Mommy, I love you sooooo much!”

At which point my heart melted into a pile of goo.

This, my friends. This is why having kids is worthwhile.

(and this is my apology for the rant last night).

Enhanced by Zemanta

6 Comments on The Right Way To Wake Up.

1. Allison
    March 16, 2012 at 10:07 am (4 years ago)

I don’t know what it is about waking up early in the morning, maybe it’s having my expectations in the right place. I hate doing it, because I’m more of a night owl generally (though I do go through phases of wanting to sleep late and wanting to rise early). When I do wake up early, I don’t usually regret it.

Allison

March 16, 2012 at 11:19 am (4 years ago)

This whole week, I’ve been sleeping through the alarm, so I was determined. It really was much more peaceful.

2. Erin
    March 16, 2012 at 11:05 am (4 years ago)

It is these little moments, these perfect mornings that can keep us hanging on during the many other “why the bleep did I have kids?!?!?” kinda days…

Glad your Pre-St. Patty’s day is going well:) Have a fab. weekend:)

March 16, 2012 at 11:17 am (4 years ago)

They are, indeed. Last night I was certainly ready to run for the hills!

3. BalancingMama (Julie)
    March 16, 2012 at 3:30 pm (4 years ago)

Aww, what a morning of sweetness and perfection! Those definitely make all the pain-in-the-butt days worthwhile.

4. Lady Jennie
    March 16, 2012 at 6:01 pm (4 years ago)

Coffee is the bane of my existence. I cannot live without it, but it makes me so tired after the high wears off and I swear it makes my wrinkles worse. I keep saying I’m going to give it up.

I know this is not your point but … :-)