After the Rain…

by Amber on March 24, 2012

Last night we had another one of those fabulous Indiana storms. The kind that add the tune of tornado sirens to the air for more than an hour, and send me and mine running for the scant protection of the half bath under the stairs.

It was not the ideal way to start the weekend, to be sure. Especially since our dog (also in the little bathroom with us) had gas, and the toddler had a diaper that was trying to fill with poo.

But survive we did—and we didn’t even have to attempt to protect ourselves with the cast iron pots my husband figured could shield our heads if worst came to worst.

And then? Then the sun came out. Rainbows appeared (really). And Tori discovered the puddles it left behind.

She started in a small one.

Tori starts cautiously, with the smallest puddle.

Tori dips her foot into the first, minor league puddle.

But then she discovered the drainage ditch at the back of the yard. The one that floods after a big rain and rushes with the current of a real river. After that? It was game on.

Tori dips her foot in the drainage ditch.

Cautiously, she dipped her toes in the running water.

Tori grinned at the water on her toes.

Surprise! The water's cold.

But she didn’t really want to play in the water by herself. And she wasn’t brave enough to wander out into the middle without holding my hand.

Which is why, a few minutes later, I found myself shoeless, and with my jeans rolled up to my knees, stomping in the muddy water.

Happy feet in the water

You're never too old to jump in puddles, are you?

At first, I was reluctant, and merely stood there. But after Tori looked up at me imploringly and said “stomp, mommy,” I got into the spirit of things.

I stamped cautiously a few times. But after I got used to the feel of mud seeping between my toes, I threw off my stuffy sense of decorum and Tori and I jumped and stomped and splashed our hearts out.

Before long, the water looked like chocolate milk (or so Tori told me). And our legs were speckled with mud.

But we were both grinning from ear to ear. And I? Had forgotten about the horror of the tornado siren entirely.

So if it’s been a while since you jumped in puddles, I suggest you go outside right now and find one. If you feel silly, bring a kid with you. But I promise, you won’t regret the splish-splashing, mud-speckling fun.

Those kids, they’re on to something. We should follow their example more often.

Facebook Twitter Email

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Jen March 25, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I love this post!

I am often encouraged by my kids to let my hair down do things kids like.

Splashing in puddles in AWESOME!

Amber March 27, 2012 at 2:23 pm

That whole acting like a kid thing is what makes actually having kids worthwhile.

Andra@TheDomesticProject March 25, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Great post …. one of my favourite parts of being a parent is getting to relive all the fun childhood activities that you’d long-since forgotten about. Have you flown a kite in a windstorm yet? Exhilarating!
Andra@TheDomesticProject recently posted..The Sleep-Training Games

Amber March 27, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I haven’t, but I definitely think that’s something we’re going to have to try! Blowing bubbles is another favorite…

Missy @ Wonder, Friend March 26, 2012 at 11:06 pm

I rode my bike through puddles yesterday and felt glee as the water (and some mud) splashed up on and around me.

Love the pictures in this post!

PS – glad the storm did not require you to wear cast iron buckets on your heads! And very glad the end result was splashing in puddles, not cleaning up the rubble of a storm.
Missy @ Wonder, Friend recently posted..Six

Amber March 27, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Puddles make storms totally worthwhile. But tornadoes can kiss my butt. Their frequency is my least favorite part of living in Indiana. Especially when you hear about them flattening entire towns.

Charlotte March 29, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Love this. SO very much. And I love that Tori inspired you to bring out your own inner child. I imagine that must be one of the greatest gifts of parenting, eh? Stomping around in mud puddles sounds like a great time. I cannot wait :)
Charlotte recently posted..Coming out of hibernation

Amber April 1, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Even without the kid, I strongly recommend a little puddle stomping. You’re in NYC, right? I doubt anyone would even bat an eye!

Alexandra April 28, 2012 at 12:58 am

I remember loving puddles so much when I was little.

There is something still delicious to me about jumping in a puddle.

She’s so wonderful…

Amber May 10, 2012 at 9:27 am

The splash when you land is very satisfying. She is wonderful…something I need to remember when she’s frustrating me (most of the time).