If you’re a writer, chances are you’ve heard the Dorothy Parker quote, “I hate writing. I love having written.”
It’s very, very true. For writing, and (with a verb change) for running.
I’ve been slogging away on the treadmill for a little more than a month now. Sometimes I walk, sometimes I jog, sometimes I merely trudge along. But whether I’m enjoying it or not, I keep moving—mostly thanks to my Spotify “RUN” playlist.
Every song has a job to do.
1. Fighter by Christina Aguilera gets me going. It’s my battle cry.
2. Firework by Katy Perry is next. Cheesy? Hell yeah. But I kinda love it anyway.
3. When Let’s Get it Started by the Black Eyed Peas begins, I know I need to kick it up a notch.
Next up? Eighties rock.
4. Take On Me by Ah-Ha kicks things off. It’s got a good beat, and the guy spent the whole video running, remember?
5. Maniac from Flashdance makes its appearance just as my elbows start flying and my jog starts to get a bit spastic.
6. And for some reason, Kickstart My Heart by none other than Motley Crue actually does help me kick it a little harder.
But after that? I am in serious pain. Serious. Pain.
7. That’s why Stronger by Kelly Clarkston comes next. I need the reminder that I am not, in fact, going to die.
At this point, the worst is over. I just have to keep moving for a little while longer.
8. So The Middle by Jimmy Eat World is next. Sometimes it cheers me up. Sometimes it just makes me want to curse.
9. Edge of Glory by Lady Gaga? If it’s been a good workout, it makes me smile and move a little faster. If it’s been a bad one, it just makes me want to scream.
10. Last but not least is Raise Your Glass by P!nk. It’s a good F-You kind of song—and by that point? I’m ready to flip the treadmill off.
So that’s my current playlist. What do you like to sweat to?