Restless Heart.

by Amber on February 17, 2012

February makes me itchy. Both literally (I don’t think there’s an ounce of moisture left in my skin) and figuratively.

In fact, as the month wears on, I go a tiny bit bat shit crazy.

Why? Well, because it’s February. It’s cold. It’s cloudy. Even when the sun’s out, there’s not a damn thing to do outside.

So we sit inside. Playing the same games, watching too much TV and trying to explain to the little one why the flowers and the trees and the birds and the bees are still “sleeping.”

I start to notice all the things that are wrong with my house. The black hand prints at toddler level. The juice and cat puke stains on the carpet. The frayed couch arms and disorganized laundry room.

I long to fix it all. All of it. All at once.

I dream of ripping up the carpet and replacing it with wood (or at least fake wood).

Tossing the toy box in the garage and finding some sort of storage system that actually works.

Repainting, well, everything.

Or, better yet, selling the darn thing and starting over.

Instead I download another Dora game for the kiddo.

Then it’s time to go to work, where I spend my days in an office full of other sun starved, coughing people. I stare out the window at the highway and imagine packing up the family. Of hitting the road, bound for…somewhere.

The soothing whisper of palm fronds calls to me.

The ocean’s roar echoes in my brain.

I can practically feel the sand between my toes.

But then an account type reminds me of an upcoming deadline and the dream fades.

I count down the hours of the days, the days of the month, and I wait.

Spring will be here soon. The itch will fade. But until then, I remain just a little bit restless.

Facebook Twitter Email

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Rebecca February 17, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Getting rid of the carpet in our house was the best decision we have made. I love the floors we have now. They are Pergo Laminate flooring.

Jessica @FoundtheMarbles February 17, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I get like that in March. I am so ready for winter to be over and assume that March is going to be warm. Then every year I am disappointed when I am still in my winter coat all month long. Hence, the redecorating begins!
Jessica @FoundtheMarbles recently posted..How She Found the Marbles: By Journaling the Memories

Jen February 18, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from. Every year, Feb and March are so difficult for me. I really don’t like this time of year.

Spring… please!

Linda M. February 19, 2012 at 8:58 am

I whole-heartedly agree. I hate the winter blah’s, February, March and sometimes part of April. I long for spring flowers, buds on the trees, being able to step outside in a hoodie – not my winter coat. You’d think with us being born and raised in Michigan we’d be used to this, but we didn’t learn to love it. So I read too much, and dream of nicer weather to finally get into shape this year.

Lady Jennie February 21, 2012 at 11:23 am

Oh yes – you said it. It is so tough to handle those loooooong winter months. With kids.

Gail February 22, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I am totally there with you. I have hardwood floor that I want to replace. (hint, don’t get maple…it can be realy soft and ruined quickly) I want to repaint my whole house, and get the carpets cleaned. Don’t even mention the outside! And I want it all done. Right. Now.
Instead, I planned a trip to a water park and watched another episode of Hoarders….made me feel a teeny bit better:)