Bigger Every Day.

“Mommy?”

“What, honey.”

“Mommy, I big.”

“Yes, you are. A little bigger every day.”

“I a big girl now. I AM!”

This is a conversation I have with my daughter several times a day. Sometimes, it’s all I can do not to laugh when she says it—especially if I’m changing her diaper or wiping dinner out of her hair.

But other times? Other times it’s so true it makes my heart ache.

Tori on the big girl swing.

No more baby swing for this big kid.

She is getting bigger every day.

She can reach the counter and grab things, if they’re close enough to the edge (in other words, it’s time to start putting those gummy vitamins away).

She can dress herself (when she wants to) and even put her shoes on the right feet.

She can skip with a jump rope, pedal her tricycle and even balance in the big girl swing.

She’s going to dance in her first recital. She’s lost her first best friend. She knows what a best friend is.

She’s not my baby anymore. And while she still fits perfectly in my lap, there will come a time when she doesn’t.

Soon, she’ll be, indisputably, a Kid.

I’m not quite sure I’m ready for that.

That’s why, when she stumbles out of bed in the middle of the night and comes looking for a snuggle, I don’t hesitate. I swoop her up, settle her into bed next to me and hold her tight. My arm might go to sleep, my neck might complain, but I don’t care.

While we’re lying forehead to forehead,  her arms wrapped firmly around my neck, I know she’s still mine.

I’m going to hold on tight to these little spaces in time while I can.

They’ll be gone soon enough.

8 Comments on Bigger Every Day.

February 8, 2012 at 9:34 pm (4 years ago)

Yea……for some reason four was the big ‘oh no’ moment and now that my daughter is almost 7 it’s another ‘oh no’ moment. But ya know what? She’s still my little girl in so many ways…….I’m pleased.

2. Venus
    February 9, 2012 at 4:53 pm (4 years ago)

Oh… this made my heart ache. But mostly in the good way! :-) The moments fly right by. I hold onto every snuggle I can get, too!

February 15, 2012 at 12:19 pm (4 years ago)

You snuggle, mama! It’s your prerogative!

3. Lady Jennie
    February 10, 2012 at 1:06 pm (4 years ago)

I know JUST what you mean! I am definitely holding on to my little one a little longer than I did with the others.

February 15, 2012 at 12:18 pm (4 years ago)

I’ll bet. And since she’s my one and only…I have to hold tight while I can.

4. Amber
    February 10, 2012 at 5:20 pm (4 years ago)

Aww. They do grow fast.

5. Missy @ Wonder, Friend
    February 13, 2012 at 11:28 am (4 years ago)

The growing nearly does me in. It’s heart-wrenching to watch them get big – and thrilling, too. I will be sad when “ephalunt” becomes “elephant” and when small, chubby hands no longer fit neatly in my own. Really, really sad.

And still… watching them gain independence and learn and carry on amazing conversations, well, that’s pretty great.

Motherhood makes my head spin with the conflicting emotions.

February 15, 2012 at 12:18 pm (4 years ago)

Round and round the carousel goes! I don’t know about you, but I could use some dramamine.