My Little Southern Girl?

Here in the Page household, we speak a dialect of the American English language called Michigan-ese, with a little bit of Chicagoan thrown in for spice.

No one here has ever lived any further south than Cincinnati—a city which still falls very much on the Yankee side of the Mason Dixon line.

We now live in Central Indiana, of course. A place which, while it has a bit of Southern flavor, is solidly in the Midwest.

Yet, somehow, my daughter seems to be picking up what seems to be a southern accent.

And not just a little twang. Not an accent defined by a few y’alls. Nope. She’s got a full on drawl.

The word pants becomes “Pa-yants” in her mouth.

Daddy becomes “Da-yady.”

Fun becomes “Fu-yun.”

You get the picture.

It’s a little bit funny. Sort of cute. And just plain weird.

Although we live in a small town, we aren’t surrounded by country bumpkins. None of the kids she spends her days with speak that way. Neither do her teachers.

So I don’t know where she’s getting it from.

Perhaps some Southern-fried ghosts are whispering in her ear while she sleeps?

Or a  radio station  from the deep South is transmitting in her skull?

Or maybe it’s just a hint from the universe that we should pull up stakes and move where snow is the stuff of Christmas dreams?

Hmmmmmm. That’s worth thinking about.

7 Comments on My Little Southern Girl?

1. erica
    January 8, 2012 at 10:58 am (4 years ago)

LOVE the new design. Love it!

January 9, 2012 at 9:30 am (4 years ago)

I thought you would. Thanks!

2. Amanda C.
    January 8, 2012 at 11:19 am (4 years ago)

Indiana is an interesting state. We’re north enough for most of us to have the plain accent of any Midwesterner. However, we’re close enough to states like Kentucky that the Southern drawl sort of instinctively slips into daily life. I have a college friend who lives just this side of the Ohio River from Louisville, Kentucky–only a two hour drive from Indianapolis. However, when I first met her, I thought she had to be from somewhere in the Deep South. I still find myself slipping into her drawl whenever I spend any time with her. In our little town here, I hear all kinds of accents, and not just because we have people from all over the world living here. With even smaller towns just thirty minutes away from us on practically all sides, I think we’re far enough south that the Southern accent is sort of mainstream. Another college friend of mine who was studying English/Library Sciences in Indy said that my hometown, which is 45 minutes north of Indianapolis, is the most northern town in Indiana where the “southern accent” is still prominent. And, he’s right. If you walked into my town, you’d think you’d fallen into a wormhole and come out on the other side into Kentucky or Tennessee.
    Maybe Tori has a teacher at school who’s accent is a bit more southern, and she’s picking it up that way? Or, maybe one of the other kids? Or, like you said, maybe she’s unconsciously doing it, especially if she’s still working on proper pronunciation of words. If she’s accenting her words a little differently, it probably makes her sound a bit more Southern. Fun times!

January 9, 2012 at 9:29 am (4 years ago)

Hmmm, it could be the pronunciation thing. I hadn’t thought of that. But it is a cute little phase. We’ll see if it sticks around. I know every once in a while it does slip into my voice. Not too often, though.

January 8, 2012 at 3:20 pm (4 years ago)

I want to move to southern Florida. No snow!

January 9, 2012 at 9:27 am (4 years ago)

send me a postcard when you get there!