How To Make Extra Wide Tap Shoes For Toddlers.

It’s tough to find shoes for my daughter. Any shoes. In fact, there are only two brands she can really wear – Stride Rite and Crocs.

Unfortunately, neither of those brands make tap shoes.

So, after fruitlessly googling every way to say “extra wide tap shoes for toddlers” I could think of (and, being an SEO copywriter, I know a lot of ways), I decided to just close my eyes and click buy on a random pair of supposedly wide tap shoes.

A week later, when they finally arrived (I swear Amazon is punishing me for not signing up for Prime by shipping things extra slow), Tori was attempting to get them on her feet practically before she was in the door.

Do you have any idea how sad a toddler looks when she tries to put her shiny new tap shoes on her feet and they’re too tight?

Sad enough to melt Newt Gingrich’s heart (and that’s saying a lot).

I didn’t know what to do. After all, I’d already searched high and low on the Internet looking for those extra wide tap shoes. They didn’t exist.

So I did what any social media-phile would do: I asked my Facebook friends.

Turns out there is a solution. A really easy one (thank you, Elona).

Here’s how to make patent leather tap shoes wider:

How to make extra wide tap shoes for your toddler1. Stuff them with socks. And I mean really stuff them. Cram them as full as you possibly can.

2. Turn your hair dryer up to 11.

3. Run the hair dryer over your tap shoes until the material gets soft and pliable (it didn’t take long with mine), and stretch gently with your fingers.

4. Let them cool off and present them to your wide-footed toddler.

5. Prepare for shouts of excitement and click clacking joy that last until you persuade said toddler to take a bath.

That’s it. Problem solved. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get them off of her.

This post was written as kind of a PSA for anyone out there with the same problem. I hope it helps some panicky mom or dad!

10 Comments on How To Make Extra Wide Tap Shoes For Toddlers.

1. Rob
    January 15, 2012 at 3:15 pm (4 years ago)

Just wanted you to know you are now the number 1 google link for “Newt Gingrich’s extra wide tap shoes.” :p

January 16, 2012 at 8:48 am (4 years ago)

Literally laughed out loud at that. Thanks for the head’s up!

January 15, 2012 at 3:16 pm (4 years ago)

Poor Tori, maybe her feet will get narrow or something. I have super wide feet, they are short and wide. Think of a rectangle, a fat rectangle. I could probably wear the shoe boxes better than the shoes that come in the boxes.

January 16, 2012 at 8:48 am (4 years ago)

Nah, she’s got my feet, which are also pretty wide. I can still find cute shoes, but it’s a bit challenging.

3. Sarah @ This Heavenly Life
    January 15, 2012 at 4:54 pm (4 years ago)

Oh, she looks SO happy to be a tapper! You have amazingly smart tap-shoe friends :)

January 16, 2012 at 8:47 am (4 years ago)

I know! I can’t tell you how relieved I was when someone actually had the answer. I didn’t want to have to tell her she had to quit because we couldn’t find her shoes!

4. Elona
    January 16, 2012 at 10:35 am (4 years ago)

I’m so glad it worked for you! Its good to know that the useless stuff rattling around in my brain can actually benefit someone once in a while!

January 18, 2012 at 8:48 am (4 years ago)

Ah, you have a very useful brain! Thank you!

5. Las Vegas Mama
    January 16, 2012 at 11:43 pm (4 years ago)

Holy cow, how did you find out how to make wide tap shoes??? That is AWESOME! My daughter also has very wide feet. I am wondering if this is a technique I can use with her dress shoes… what do you think??

January 18, 2012 at 8:48 am (4 years ago)

I think it would work with any patent leather shoe. Give it a try!