Cold. In Five Senses.

by Amber on January 13, 2012

I forgot what real cold is like. I always do.

In the humid heat of July, as sweat drips down my back and off my toes, I try to remember what being cold feels like. I try to re-create the chill, to feel it in my bones.

But I can’t. It’s just not possible.

I think I do. I think about how the wind whips across your face and snakes down the back of your neck. How your feet crunch wetly in the snow. How your skin cools and your nose brightens. And I’m sure I’ve captured it.

But that’s not what real cold is.

Real cold is that first gasp of air when you emerge in the morning. The one that tastes metallic and slightly tangy in your mouth. The one that burns down into your lungs, freezing the invisible little hairs in your nose.

Real cold is the shiver that remains in the meat of your thighs and the small of your back, even after hours and hours huddled under warm blankets.

Real cold is the blood shining through the new cracks in your hands and lips. The pink and white tightness of the scales on your knuckles.

Real cold is the smell of ice, salt and burnt tire rubber mixing sourly in parking lots gray with slush.

Real cold sparkles brightly, rejoicing in its cruelty.

It can’t be remembered. Only endured.

But that’s not all real cold is about.

It’s the earthy smell of fireplaces crackling merrily.

It’s the liquid velvet taste of hot chocolate on your tongue and the salty goodness of chicken soup in your throat.

It’s the sound of popcorn crunching and pillow fort building.

It’s evenings snuggled on the couch and  afternoons lazing about.

Once the frenetic pace of summer returns, it’s impossible to re-create those quiet moments.

So as much as I hate this weather, as much as I want to scream and stomp my feet and beg for winter to retreat, I’m going to try to enjoy the gifts it brings us.

I’m going to turn on my fireplace, watch Tangled a few more times with my daughter and sneak in a few snuggles with my husband. Summer will return in its own sweet time. Watching the clock instead of enjoying my life won’t make it go any faster.

Or at least that’s what I’m telling myself today. Check back in mid-February. There may well be some foot stomping going on.

Facebook Twitter Email

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Carrie January 13, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I am thankful we don’t get “real” cold where I live. I know there would be month long stamping of feet ;)
Carrie recently posted..{Book Review} Love Lifted Me by Sara Evans

Amber January 16, 2012 at 8:58 am

Someday, I hope to live where real cold doesn’t dare show it’s face. Until then, there will be much internal stomping of feet!

Rebecca January 13, 2012 at 5:45 pm

That ‘real’ cold is biting my nose and stinging my toes….or is it stinging the nose and biting the toes? Regardless, my brain is frozen and I’m tired of this cold
Rebecca recently posted..Freezing Fragments

Amber January 16, 2012 at 8:57 am

Me too. Spring can’t come soon enough!

idiosyncratic eye January 13, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Oh you capture it so beautifully! :)
idiosyncratic eye recently posted..WOE: Flavour Prompt

Amber January 16, 2012 at 8:56 am

Thank you! I was trying to make beauty out of resentment and pain.

angela January 13, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I just remarked to someone that I think we’ve gotten to the point of winter where I’m not going to be warm again until at least April. This described what I am feeling exactly.

Great job contrasting the outside cold and the inside warmth.

Amber January 16, 2012 at 8:56 am

Me too. Man do I hate winter. But, you know. Only 60s-something days left. Phhhbt.

Kristina January 13, 2012 at 9:50 pm

This is incredible. So beautifully written – and you capture the feeling perfectly. Really, really well done.

Amber January 16, 2012 at 8:55 am

Thanks. I was feeling really, really, really cold when I wrote it. So that helped.

Charlotte January 14, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Beautiful… I wish I didn’t understand this feeling all too well, and am also longing for the warm rays of sunshine. But you’re right… must enjoy what we can while ar have it. And tangled with your daughter and snuggle time with hubby sounds wonderful :)
Charlotte recently posted..taking the plunge… part deux

Amber January 16, 2012 at 8:54 am

You know, it was a pretty good weekend, all in all. In fact, I didn’t leave the house. At all. Which was kind of nice!