My 2012 Resolution? Lose the Guilt.

It’s New Year’s Eve. Which, of course, means we’re all supposed to pause and think about what we want from the upcoming year. To make those infamous resolutions.

I’m only making one. And that? Is to do my damnedest to lose the working mommy guilt this year.

Sure, I let others take care of my daughter between the hours of 9 and 5. But I’m leaving her in some very capable hands. We work as a team, her teachers and I. Together, we’re raising a smart, confident girl capable of taking on the world.

And while I’m gone, I’m doing something important.

I’m showing my daughter that it’s okay to chase her dreams. That she really can be anything she darn well pleases. After all, what’s the use of telling our girls to shoot for the sky if we’re just going to clip their wings once they have families?

That’s just plain dumb.

So this year, I’m going to continue to do what I do. I’ll have to make compromises along the way. And I won’t be able to do everything I’d like to. But I’ll do my best – which is all my daughter asks of me.

I am a working mom. A role model. And that? Is an awesome thing to be.

8 Comments on My 2012 Resolution? Lose the Guilt.

1. Janet
    January 1, 2012 at 11:30 am (4 years ago)

Great resolution! I struggle with guilt all the time too, and it is a useless emotion. (I read that somewhere.)

January 6, 2012 at 11:09 am (4 years ago)

Useless, but tough to beat. Nevertheless, I’m determined. Happy New Year!

2. Rebeccah
    January 2, 2012 at 4:48 pm (4 years ago)

There is a great book about working moms that really helped my own guilt. It’s kind of extreme, but like most things, you can glean out of it what resonates with you. It’s called “Get To Work” by Linda Hirshman and while I don’t agree with all of it, she really makes you think about being a working mother from an entirely different perspective.

OH and your blog looks FABulous! :-)

January 6, 2012 at 11:09 am (4 years ago)

I definitely need to get that book. I’m glad you like the makeover!

3. Mary
    January 3, 2012 at 8:58 am (4 years ago)

I couldn’t agree more! I think that we set a great example for our kids by having something for ourselves and going after what we want. If we are happier and more fulfilled, so are our children!

January 6, 2012 at 11:08 am (4 years ago)

Truer words were never spoken! I hop you have a fabulous 2012!

4. BalancingMama (Julie)
    January 6, 2012 at 8:53 am (4 years ago)

Catching up on your latest posts – sorry it’s been a while! The blog looks great. And I love your resolution. You go, Mama! No guilt allowed.

January 6, 2012 at 11:07 am (4 years ago)

Nope, no guilt this year. I’ve got some catching up of my own to do (but I won’t feel guilty about it)!