The Language of Hair.

by Amber on December 1, 2011

A woman’s hair can say many things. It can speak volumes about beauty and sex, power and desire. It can be playful or woebegone. Do its best to attract attention or help its owner blend into the woodwork.

My hair? Has been known to do all of these things.

For most of high school, it was fairly nondescript. Whether short or long, its dishwater blonde locks  clung to my down turned face and cowered around my stooped shoulders. But as I came into my own, it gained more personality, sporting golden highlights and glorious curls.

In college, it suffered from an identity crisis. At times it was dark and goth. At others, it mimicked the sparkling blondness of the cheerleading crowd. But when I was feeling most like myself? It was red. Glorious, unforgettable red.

Red hair says certain things about you. It hints that you’re a little bit hot-tempered. A woman not to be messed with. Someone with the soul of a firecracker, and in possession of a great deal of passion.

It forces you to stand straighter. Meet people’s eyes. Walk around with an attitude of, “yeah, that’s right, I’m right here, buddy. You got a problem with that?”

Most often, the answer is no.

So, if you see me, take note of my hair color. If it’s brown, blonde, or some variation thereof? You can be relatively sure that I’m feeling pretty mellow, and not in the mood to make waves.

But if it’s red? Regardless of whether it’s long and curled or short and sassy, you’d do best to watch your step. I am ready to take on the world—and I don’t take kindly to those who stand in my way.

Facebook Twitter Email

{ 25 comments… read them below or add one }

Melanie @ M&M December 2, 2011 at 10:35 am

I have a red headed daughter and my son is dating a red head. You are dead on about the color! I like your descriptions of your evolving self through your hair.

Blessings!
Melanie @ M&M recently posted..Red Writing Hood — I Love My Hair

Amber December 4, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Thank you! There’s just something about red…I’m sure you have your hands full with that redheaded daughter of yours!

idiosyncraticeye December 2, 2011 at 11:09 am

Ah yes, the red head! I love you describe your hair journey but also that those perceptions about hair colour reflect a broader view, society’s take. :)
idiosyncraticeye recently posted..Hair

Amber December 4, 2011 at 9:26 pm

It does though. Hair color is such a easy way to sum up someone’s personality. Right or wrong, it’s a good shorthand.

Valerie December 2, 2011 at 11:47 am

Great piece of writing. It’ so true that our hair can say so much about who we are.

Love this bit:
“Whether short or long, its dishwater blonde locks clung to my down turned face and cowered around my stooped shoulders. But as I came into my own, it gained more personality, sporting golden highlights and glorious curls.”

I think I’m in a red head kind of mood lately:)
Valerie recently posted..The Compliment

Amber December 4, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Ah. A red headed mood is a good one, I think. At least if you need to get things done!

Renee A. Schuls-Jacobson December 2, 2011 at 4:46 pm

“It’s impossible to hide with red hair. No matter where you go, or how you’re dressed, you stand out a little bit.”

Maybe this is why my mother is still so intimidating! She always has some shade of red goin’ on. ;-)

Renee A. Schuls-Jacobson December 2, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I forgot to say I’m here from Write On Edge, and it is nice to meet you. If you feel like reading my take on hair, please check out my piece. It is under my name. ;-)
Renee A. Schuls-Jacobson recently posted..I’m in Tennessee Today

Gayletrini December 2, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Nicely done… You are right being red does make you feel a bit fiesty! LOL
Gayletrini recently posted..Oh no the hair.

Amber December 4, 2011 at 9:23 pm

It does, doesn’t it! Blonde is sparkly, red is feisty!

The M Half December 2, 2011 at 9:59 pm

“Regardless of whether it’s long and curled or short and sassy, you’d do best to watch your step.” I’m not sure I’d aggravate you anyway!

This is a great way to see your personality evolve with your hair.

Amber December 4, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Ahhh, I’m really pretty harmless, most of the time. But I talk a good game… :)

Cheryl @ Mommypants December 3, 2011 at 12:42 am

You definitely always notice a redhead! My father was a redhead and was definitely hot-tempered.

Amber December 4, 2011 at 9:21 pm

It’s fairly universal, I think. But the same could be said for any hair color, probably!

Galit Breen December 3, 2011 at 1:27 am

Hee! I love how strong this is and noted for sure- watching out for the red hair!
Galit Breen recently posted..Wisps of Hair

Amber December 4, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Thank you! I tried to write more of a story, but this is what came out instead…

NayLahKnee December 3, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I have always been found of red hair. I have always wanted to dye my hair a nice auburn red but alas, I am balding. LOL! Love your blog!
NayLahKnee recently posted..The Economy Series Top 5

Amber December 4, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Boo for hair problems. But thank you!

Pamela December 3, 2011 at 9:13 pm

This was a fun piece! I just loved it.

You go girl! Take on the world! No matter the color of your hair! ;-)

Visiting via Red Writing Hood
Pamela recently posted..Trimming Away The Years

Amber December 4, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Thank you! I was feeling kind of feisty when I wrote that, obviously!

Liz December 4, 2011 at 6:50 pm

I love dying my hair red. Like you said, it screams for attention. I’m a lot more outgoing when my hair is red. I’ve been wanting to dye it back for a while but my hair is naturally black and takes quite a bit of work to get to the red I love.
Liz recently posted..“The Problem with Curls”

Amber December 4, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Ah yes. Black would pose a problem. My natural hair is light enough that I can do whatever I want with it.

Liz December 7, 2011 at 10:19 am

Lucky! :P

Once I get through the holidays, I’ll spend the money and get it done. I hate having dark hair in the winter.

Oh, great piece, by the way. I don’t know why I didn’t say so in my first comment. Sheesh! :D
Liz recently posted..My Strengths and Weaknesses as a Writer: December 2011 Edition

Venus December 6, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Hooray for redheads!!! :-) I’m never anything but red anymore (except when I get in a rut and don’t color at all, and then of course I’m my natural mousy gold-ish blonde). You’re so right that you can’t hide when you’ve got your glorious red on!
Venus recently posted..Red Writing Hood: Lather, Rinse, Remember

Rebeccah December 6, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I love red hair. Haven’t tried it on myself, but would definitely consider it! My hair definition is more about texture I think – kinda crazy, kinda smooth, kinda curly and TONS of it. :-)
Rebeccah recently posted..And I Was All Like, Whoa, I’m Totally Behind