Top 5 Things That Annoy Me About Dora.

Questions about DoraMy daughter loves Dora. With a passion. So much so that while sick over this holiday weekend, we have watched no fewer than 25 episodes of Dora the Explorer.

That left me with far too much time to ponder the intricacies of the Dora universe. Way, way too much time. And that pondering left me with questions. Questions that probably have no answers, but I’m going to pose them anyway.

1. Where the hell are her parents? I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but that girl climbs mountains, travels overseas and heck, even to alternate dimensions, all without telling her parents. This despite the fact  (as we find out in the episode where her mom has a baby), she has a cell phone. Would it kill her to send them a quick text or two every once in a while?

2. Who built the damn roads in that town? I’m pretty sure most civil engineers try to avoid large, unmovable obstacles when building roads. So why do Dora’s travels always send her down streets that dead end at the Tallest Mountain, or the Prickly Forest, or the Really Huge Rock?

3. Why can’t they build a stinking bridge? Almost none of the rivers have bridges. And when they do, they’re always, always falling apart. Someone in that town needs to apply for some federal road money. Or at least stop relying on kindergartners to fix them.

4. Why doesn’t Dora ever know where she is? I understand why she might need to consult a map to find the end of the rainbow. But her house? Or the library? Shouldn’t she know how to get to these basic landmarks? Especially since, as we know, her parents let her wander at will?

5. Could someone please teach that girl some manners? I don’t know about you, but I don’t like to be yelled at. Especially by someone who’s trying to get me to do her work for her. And I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve heard her say please or thank you. What gives?

However, I have to give them credit for that backpack. It’s way better than a fairy godmother or some silly genie. That backpack? Gives Dora anything she wants. All she has to do is shout “BACKPACK!” It’s better than a money tree!

So, if you’re listening, Backpack, I sure would like a Caribbean vacation. And a money tree. Could I have them, please? No? Well, how about a toddler who sleeps through the night? Could you manage that?

No? Damn. I guess I’ll have to add that to my list of things I don’t like about Dora.

17 Comments on Top 5 Things That Annoy Me About Dora.

1. Meagan
    November 27, 2011 at 3:52 pm (4 years ago)

I like Diego better. Dora is sort of annoying. I understand she’s teaching steps with the map, and other skills, but that show gets old quick.

November 28, 2011 at 9:20 am (4 years ago)

It does indeed. If only she didn’t yell so much…

November 27, 2011 at 4:20 pm (4 years ago)

Dora used to make me uneasy but now that my daughter is nearly seven years old and in first grade and STILL in love with Dora, I’m kinda smitten myself because 99% of her classmates like people. Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, and the like. And while they aren’t ‘bad’ people, they are people. People who make mistakes and do bad things sometimes.

Also, mostly the kids are watching PG movies and worse……Some PG13 and some kids even watch R movies.

I’m so grateful my daughter is still so innocent. I love Dora……

November 28, 2011 at 9:20 am (4 years ago)

Normally I don’t mind her. But after that many straight hours of watching it? I feel the need to be sarcastic.

• Rebecca
        November 28, 2011 at 10:06 am (4 years ago)

I completely understand.

3. C @ Kid Things
    November 27, 2011 at 4:48 pm (4 years ago)

I think Nick Jr. has a thing about parents, because it’s not just Dora. Where the heck are Max & Ruby’s parents, for instance? Or the Backyardigans? I can’t believe they never come out to check on their kids.

November 28, 2011 at 9:19 am (4 years ago)

Good question. Perhaps parents get in the way of marketing?

4. Jen
    November 27, 2011 at 8:49 pm (4 years ago)

*shudder* Dora!

This is one show that I am glad my kids have stopped asking to watch.

November 28, 2011 at 9:15 am (4 years ago)

I’m sure she’ll outgrow it eventually. Better Dora than some of the tween shows out there though…I think.

5. Nolie
    November 27, 2011 at 11:05 pm (4 years ago)

LOL love it and have wondered the same things about Dora… don’t even get me started on Diego or Max and Ruby

November 28, 2011 at 9:14 am (4 years ago)

Normally these things wouldn’t bother me, but after four consecutive hours of Dora, I was about to lose my mind! Or should I not admit to allowing that much Dora while she’s sick? Oh well…

6. Jayme
    November 27, 2011 at 11:08 pm (4 years ago)

I hate when she asks me what way to go- SHE’S the one with the freakin map!

November 28, 2011 at 9:13 am (4 years ago)

I know! Silly girl. Perhaps she’s near sighted?

7. Maria
    November 28, 2011 at 10:51 pm (4 years ago)

This! I’m so glad my boys aren’t into Dora so much anymore. So many of those shows annoy me, though.

November 29, 2011 at 9:25 pm (4 years ago)

I think they’re designed to annoy adults. Maybe so we won’t realize how many commercials are in those shows?

8. Nina B
    November 30, 2011 at 3:21 pm (4 years ago)

LOL, amber! I especially love #4. I’m so glad my kids are out of the Dora stage. Though now they’re into Sponge Bob which is like 1000 times worse.

9. Julianna
    March 11, 2013 at 2:18 pm (3 years ago)

Lol! I thought it was funny when u were trying to ask “backpack” for things. That girl dora is a fuc&$&$ idiot