The 5 Best Decisions I Ever Made.

As a general rule, I have a tough time making decisions. Blame it on my Libra-ness or on a genetic defect, but I am nothing if not indecisive. But a post by Cecily K, who was in turn inspired by schmutzie, made me think. If someone held a gun to my head and made me name my five best decisions, what would they be?

The answer took surprisingly little hemming and hawing.

1. Sticking with this guy:

Brian and Me

The goatee can go. But this guy? Better stay put.

There have been more than a few occasions when it would have been easier to give up than to carry on. But stubborn people that we are, we kept going. And now? Well, now it’s been almost 18 years (13 of them married). And we’re still going strong.

2. Taking the plunge and having this one:

Tori swings

To think. I could have missed out on this.

It took ten long years to finally feel ready to become a mom. And even then, I was none too sure about my ability to handle it. But I’ve managed to keep her alive for 2.5 years so far. That’s not too shabby.

3. Saying good bye to this:

detroit skyline

photo credit: andorpro

Leaving Detroit was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. When I took off down 75 for the first time, I certainly couldn’t have predicted where my life was about to take me. I was too busy sobbing at the view in the rear view mirror. But I’m sure glad I took the risk.

4. Getting help for my depression.

Would I have survived had I not sought treatment? Maybe. But it wouldn’t have been much of a life. Certainly not one filled with the love and laughter I enjoy now. Those damn pharmaceutical commercials have one thing right. Depression hurts. And you never quite realize how much until the ache is gone.

5. Starting this blog.

I admit it. There are times when I feel like closing up shop and leaving the blogosphere for good. But I can’t. It’s become part of who I am. It’s made me a better writer, a more connected person, and even helped take my career in a new direction. I wouldn’t be who I am without it.

That’s it. The five best decsions I ever made. What are yours?

12 Comments on The 5 Best Decisions I Ever Made.

1. Meagan
    October 2, 2011 at 10:26 pm (4 years ago)

1) Going to my friend’s New Year’s Eve party, 12/31/01. I almost didn’t go since I wasn’t going to know anyone else, had to work late, & then needed to drive 2 hours to her house, but that was when & where I met Chris.

2) Marrying Chris.

3) Having Wil & Sam. They may drive me crazy, but i wouldn’t change that.

4) Joining Hoosier Mamas. Seriously, I’ve met some of my best friends because there.

5) Quitting a job that made me miserable. Long story, but I swear the boss had multiple personalities or something. (Ok, so I stayed a little longer because looking for a new job when you are planning to move states is pointless & I needed the income to tide me over, but I had decided I needed to quit before Chris proposed. I can tell you all about it if you really want to know.)

October 6, 2011 at 8:38 am (4 years ago)

Quitting a job that causes misery is always a good idea!

2. Meagan
    October 2, 2011 at 10:27 pm (4 years ago)

Oh, I should add 6) Deviding in high school to really like myself. That should maybe be at the top of the list.

October 6, 2011 at 8:38 am (4 years ago)

That is a fabulous decision. One my 35-year-old self is still having trouble making.

3. Missy @ Wonder, Friend
    October 3, 2011 at 9:55 am (4 years ago)

What a great idea for a post! I kind of want to do my own… Immediately, I would share your number 1 and number 2 (but with my own husband and children, of course).

My other three, though, don’t spring to mind so quickly. And I wonder why that is? I have to think about this a bit. I’ll get back to you!

October 6, 2011 at 8:38 am (4 years ago)

Still waiting…. Kidding. I’m glad you don’t want my husband. Although I find the idea of Sister Wives fascinating, I don’t actually want to share.

4. Amanda C
    October 3, 2011 at 9:53 pm (4 years ago)

1. Going to Marian College (now, Marian University). I had two choices, and I chose Marian because I received a much better scholarship from the school. Little did I know that I would meet my now husband there. Also, I learned how to live away from my family, which for me, was pretty big!
    2. Marrying Brian and sticking with him through medical school and residency. I made some great friends along the way and learned how to be even more independent than I was in college. Also, getting through residency showed Brian and I that if we can do that, we can make it through anything.
    3. Having my two little boys. I was a bit impatient to get pregnant after we first got married, because I didn’t want to be too “old”. However, I’m glad I waited, and learned how to take care of myself before I needed to take care of two babies.
    4. Joining the Hoosier Mamas. Like Meagan, I’ve made some of the best friendships I’ve ever had in my life through this group.
    5. Finding a therapist when I really needed it. I’m still working through some things, but she’s been really great over the past year helping me deal with so much that’s gone on in my life. Hopefully, spending time with her now will make me a better wife/mother/daughter/friend later on.

October 6, 2011 at 8:36 am (4 years ago)

Those are 5 awesome decisions! I’m definitely glad you joined Hoosier Mamas!

5. Lindsay
    October 5, 2011 at 3:16 pm (4 years ago)

This is a great list! I love #2…I couldn’t imagine my life without my little one either! So glad you haven’t left the blogging world! :)

October 6, 2011 at 8:36 am (4 years ago)

Ahhh, I probably never will. Sometimes I’m just a little more…half hearted about it than others.

6. Charlotte
    October 11, 2011 at 12:15 am (4 years ago)

Great list! Sometimes the best decisions we ever make are the ones that are the scariest (like your decision to leave Detroit).

And thanks for sticking around in the bloggy world–it’s a much nicer place with you in it :)

October 11, 2011 at 9:44 am (4 years ago)

Awww, thanks. I’ll stick around a while longer. Although this dang writer’s block isn’t helping.