My Life: As Told By My Closet.

Every woman’s closet tells a story. Some speak of high-powered executives in search of their inner yogi. Others spin tales about stay at home moms too busy to worry much about their shirt on their backs—and their inner goddesses who still yearn for sparkles and stilettos.

Mine? Tells the story of a woman in search of her identity. A woman who’s tried on many different personas.  Someone who’s experimented with more careers than anyone in their 30s has a right to. One who’s tipped the scales at over 200 pounds and walked lightly at 125—and who never once found perfection.

There’s the polka dot business suit lined in hot pink left over from my hot young PR exec days.

The baggy fleece hoodie decorated with St. Bernards wrestling in leaves that I thought hid my plus-sized belly.

The fire-engine red A-line dress with the rhinestone buckle still ready to steal the scene at any formal occasion.

The dowdy purple mock turtleneck that I thought fitting for an Indiana town when I first moved here.

The sweet 50s-style swing dress that I fit into for a brief moment in 2003.

And the 12 pairs of jeans, ranging in attitude from look-at-my-tight-ass to please-God-don’t-look-at-my-butt.

There’s even a maternity skirt or two, still hanging in readiness.

Or at least there was. Because tonight? I bagged it all up to give away. It’s time to find those old personalities new homes—on bodies who will appreciate them.

I know who I am now. Or at least, I’m more sure than I’ve ever been.

I am a wife, a mother, and a writer. I am creative. Inquisitive. Never satisfied.

I like to wear swirly dresses and kicky skirts.

I like color—lots of color—and super cool tights.

I still rock more than my fair share of jeans, but I like to think they all make my ass look good.

I have more curves than I should, but I refuse to apologize for their existence.

I am a Woman. One who’s never been more ready to take on the world. And my wardrobe? Is becoming increasingly reflective of that.

So I waved good bye to those size 6 jeans. Bid my snazzy business suit a fond farewell. Snuggled my maternity skirt close before folding it away.

31 Comments on My Life: As Told By My Closet.

1. andi
    September 2, 2011 at 1:12 am (4 years ago)

Woo hoo!!! I love this post!!! Good for you for finding who you are, loving it and LIVING it!

I look in my closet and I see a cheapskate who buys clothes that are a little too small or a little too big because they were cheap. Sigh. . .. I need to cleanse, too.

September 6, 2011 at 11:58 am (4 years ago)

I am guilty of that too. But the too smalls? Are soul crushing. Make ’em go bye bye!

2. Mary
    September 2, 2011 at 10:46 am (4 years ago)

Wow! I really enjoyed reading your post. It says so much and it really touched me. It inspires me to look inside my own closet and figure out who I am…thank you!

September 6, 2011 at 11:58 am (4 years ago)

I hope your closet has lots of great answers for you. Glad you enjoyed reading!

3. WildIris
    September 2, 2011 at 10:47 am (4 years ago)

I can so relate to the closet–the many, many faces of me. Enjoyed your post and will come back to read again. Thumbs up!

September 6, 2011 at 11:58 am (4 years ago)

Thank you so much! I’m glad you enjoyed it!

4. Tomekha
    September 2, 2011 at 12:28 pm (4 years ago)

I LOVE THIS POST!!!!!!!!!!!
    I can totally relate. My closet is areflection of me, I still have pieces from different genres of my life but more and more I’m coming into my own and my dress is reflecting that.

This was an AWESOME post. :)

September 6, 2011 at 11:32 am (4 years ago)

Thank you so much! It’s fun to look back and see yourself evolve, isn’t it?

5. Sanhita
    September 2, 2011 at 12:56 pm (4 years ago)

Loved the idea about how indeed our closet’s say so much about us!

September 6, 2011 at 11:31 am (4 years ago)

Thank you! Next up? The dresser (shudders).

6. Cheryl @ Mommypants
    September 2, 2011 at 1:28 pm (4 years ago)

It is SO liberating, isn’t it? I did a similar cleaning a month or so ago. Work pants I wore in 1999? Really? Not only do they not fit, they’re completely out of style. Maternity clothes. Shirts I’ve clung to for sentimentality. Six pairs of shoes. Gone.

It felt so very, very good.

September 6, 2011 at 11:31 am (4 years ago)

Oh I haven’t tackled the shoes. I need to do that next. For some reason shoes are loaded with sentimentality for me. Must. Conquer. Shoes.

7. Jessica
    September 2, 2011 at 1:58 pm (4 years ago)

This post makes me what to stand up and clap at my computer. Love this and am now thinking about what my closet says about me. So glad you have claimed who you are and are proud of it.

September 6, 2011 at 11:30 am (4 years ago)

Thank you! I am standing and bowing at my computer. Well, not really. I’m actually shivering underneath a blanket. But I appreciate the shout out!

8. angela
    September 2, 2011 at 2:19 pm (4 years ago)

I am fighting the urge to go look through my closet. Or go shoping. Or both. This is the first fall that I haven’t been pregnant or nursing since Fall 2006, and I need to purge AND purchase.

(Also, I love cute tights.)

September 6, 2011 at 11:29 am (4 years ago)

Oh lord, woman, get thee to the mall. You deserve some serious splurging. And purging. Maybe the latter would be better to do first…

9. BalancingMama (Julie)
    September 2, 2011 at 3:31 pm (4 years ago)

Bravo! This is one of my all-time favorite posts. Now I feel like running upstairs to purge my past lives too.

Maybe I will.

September 6, 2011 at 11:29 am (4 years ago)

Awww, thanks! I’m glad you liked it! Hope you had a fulfilling closet purge…it’s good for the soul.

10. Janet
    September 2, 2011 at 10:59 pm (4 years ago)

Oh, dear. I don’t know what my closet would say about me, but it would be rough! This woman has too many shoes? This woman needs to pick a size and stick with it?

September 6, 2011 at 11:28 am (4 years ago)

Nah. Sticking with a size is boring. Your closet likes variety.

11. Galit Breen
    September 2, 2011 at 11:16 pm (4 years ago)

I absolutely LOVE your take here! The way you described your changes through your closet is pure genius! I could picture every outfit, every you.

And seriously? Go you for knowing and embracing today’s you!

September 6, 2011 at 11:28 am (4 years ago)

Thank you! I was just so tired of staring at things I know I’ll never wear again…

12. Erin
    September 5, 2011 at 7:20 am (4 years ago)

Good for you! Excellent post – I promise to attack my closet soon:)

September 6, 2011 at 11:25 am (4 years ago)

Ahhh, you get through having that baby first. You’re allowed to have all the clothes you want right now!

13. Lady Jennie
    September 5, 2011 at 11:55 am (4 years ago)

BraVO! This sounds like me but I have a decade on you (or nearly). I have gotten rid of all my old clothes, but I still haven’t found my groove for my size.

September 6, 2011 at 11:19 am (4 years ago)

Size? Pshaw…if I ever find a size that I can consistently maintain, it’ll be a fine day indeed. But I think I can safely say I will never wear those size 4 jeans anymore. At least that’s what the grown up in me insists.

14. Missy @ Wonder, Friend
    September 5, 2011 at 9:37 pm (4 years ago)

I love this post. This: “There’s no room in my life for that tired baggage right now. I’m too busy becoming the person I want to be.”

Amen.

September 6, 2011 at 11:17 am (4 years ago)

Thank you! I admit, I was surprised people enjoyed this one as much as they did. Always a nice surprise!

15. Charlotte
    September 10, 2011 at 1:04 pm (4 years ago)

Bravo! It’s hard to let go of those items… they remind us of what was, for better or for worse. But you are now comfortably settling into who you are meant to be, and that is an achievement worth celebrating.

September 10, 2011 at 4:51 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you. Of course, as soon as I give things away, I start thinking but what if…I can’t win.