I Know Why Wild Animals Eat Their Young.

I feel like I have a newborn again.

Tori woke me up for the first time at 4 a.m. Screaming. Why? I don’t know. Despite the fact that she’s fully verbal, she really couldn’t give me a good answer. Or an answer at all, as a matter of fact.

We eventually went back to sleep, her hands pulling the hair on both sides of my face, her nose dripping snot on to my forehead. And then? And the damn sun decided it was morning. And so did my Sunshine.

So I dragged my ass downstairs and it’s been one screaming fit after the next. All. Day. Long.

I’ve lost count of how many time outs we’ve had. I’m pretty sure I have bruises on my arms from where she repeatedly pinched me.

My house is destroyed. My patience is shot. You know it’s bad when you find yourself borderline yelling, “just tell me what you WANT!!!!!!!!” while pulling your own hair.

And then, of course, taking a deep breath and feeling like the worst mom in the world.

And in the middle of it all? We decided to start cleaning out the garageĀ  for a potential garage sale next weekend. You’d think, after a day like this, it would be easy to just toss all that baby stuff – the toys, the bouncy seats, the cute little outfits, the smiling zebra on the swing – all of it – into a giant pile labelled FREE.

But it wasn’t. I couldn’t do it.

Because, what if? 36 isn’t that old. I still have one ovary left. I could still do it. If I wanted to.

But right now, she’s screaming again. And throwing things. This time in the bathtub. Because I ordered asked my husband very nicely to wash her hair. And I think why? Why would I want two of those?

And that, my friends, is why certain animals eat their young.

Those cute little babies (because babies are all cute, no matter what the species), they get to a certain age. An age when they no longer have the helplessness of babyhood to blame for their actions, and are not yet old enough to send to their rooms.

So they eat them and start over. Hoping that the next time they’ll have better luck.

But, since we’re more evolved than that (sigh), I’ll have to rely on my wine glass to make me forget. Or at least knock me out for a few hours so I have the energy to do it all again tomorrow.

Bottom’s up!

12 Comments on I Know Why Wild Animals Eat Their Young.

1. Jen
    September 18, 2011 at 8:28 pm (4 years ago)

Girl. I can totally relate to this post.

Totally.

September 19, 2011 at 9:15 am (4 years ago)

On days like this, I am really, really glad I don’t have multiples. Cheers.

2. sara@domesticallychallenged
    September 18, 2011 at 8:28 pm (4 years ago)

I could have written a post like this today! YOu are so right. Luckily for them ,we have wine, and they are super cute when asleep.

September 19, 2011 at 9:15 am (4 years ago)

Yes. When asleep, they look like angels. That must be for a reason…

September 18, 2011 at 9:16 pm (4 years ago)

Maybe she has an ear infection? Isabella would turn into demon child when she had an ear infection. Made me feel bad because I’d be ‘mean mom’ and make her behave and be extra hard on her, only to find out a couple of days later she has a raging ear infection. Worlds Worst Mom.

September 19, 2011 at 9:14 am (4 years ago)

Well, we were at the doctor a week and a half ago with an infection, but she’s still complaining. So I’m scheduling another appointment.

4. BalancingMama (Julie)
    September 18, 2011 at 9:32 pm (4 years ago)

Oh my… I remember this. She is a bit younger than Amelia, right? 2 1/2, perhaps? That is the exact age where I almost lost my mind for good. It was awful. Amelia was a terror. I blamed myself for creating some kind of demon creature.

But ya know what? She is 3 yrs and 5 months now, and she is so awesome. Really, really well-behaved and sweet and FUN! I fully remember those evil days a year ago… but somehow, it all went away.

I promise yours will too! Hang in there.

September 19, 2011 at 9:14 am (4 years ago)

I’m going to hold you to that. She’s almost 2.5 exactly, and while sometimes she’s a lot of fun, at others she’s a demon. I’m tired of yelling..

5. Jessica
    September 19, 2011 at 11:39 am (4 years ago)

Even though my two precious daughters would never dream of pinching me, I can relate. They can get pretty nasty and sometimes push close my laptop’s lid closed, so I can’t surf.

I have started looking into private military-type schools ((without the guns (some do offer gun safety for like kids 3 and up though)) , where the kids spend like 8 months living away at the schools 24/7, learning to behave, education and all the things I don’t just time for. It’s like a college for little people. I think most kids would love it, after-all look at how popular the Harry Potter books are. I think my kids would love Hogwarts minus Draco, Snape, Voldemort, and all the people dying. Well even if the girls didn’t like the school, they would be much more appreciative of home, so that would be a win.

Hmmm I wonder if I could convert our hall closet into a guest bedroom.

6. A Mother's Thoughts
    September 19, 2011 at 7:15 pm (4 years ago)

K, so first of all I love your title, and second of all I knew that from the titile I was in for a good laugh. And a good laugh, followed!! Great post! 36 is not too old by the way and in fact, I just had my second!! They change, oh they change, I will encourage anyone that has one child to have a second. They love each other, they play with each other, they completely thrive! They are no longer irritating you…they are irritating each other, it is perfect!! I’d give it a go!!

Lynn

September 20, 2011 at 10:21 pm (4 years ago)

Wise words to remember. ANd to share with the husband (wink).

7. Sarah M.
    September 26, 2011 at 10:33 am (4 years ago)

Haha SO TRUE. So very, very true.