Indiana: It’s The Place To Be.

While at BlogHer, I found myself doing something that’s become de rigueur for me since I moved to Indiana. Whenever someone asked me where I was from? I made fun of my home state.

“Oh yeah, I’m from Indiana,” I’d say. “I know I’m home when I reach a gap in the corn fields.”

Or, “Yeah, it’s a nice state. If you like corn and meth.”

Which, yeah, okay, there is a lot of corn (and meth). But even that can be kind of pretty (the corn, not the meth addicts).

There's a lot of corn in Indiana

That's a nice looking corn field.

And the truth is? I really like it here. On my way home from work, I pass industrial parks and railroad tracks, just like most of you do. But I also drive by big red barns, cute little farm stands, and, if I’m lucky, a herd of doe-eyed cows. They’re adorable.

And just a few miles away is downtown Bloomington, home of Indiana University. Which is a pretty kick ass campus, if I don’t say so myself. And on a gorgeous Saturday evening (like the one we just had), it’s a downright beautiful place to be.

Just steps away from a busy downtown street packed with college students on the prowl and townies enjoying the last few weekends of peace before the legions of hormonal teenagers return, is this peaceful scene.

Sample Gates at sunset

Sample Gates at sunset.

Turn the other way, and you can check out how close it is to your child’s bedtime.

clock tower at IU

Darn, we should be heading home soon.

I don't think Tori got the memo.

I don't think Tori got the memo.

But before you head back down the tree-lined street to your car, make sure you take in this view.

Our building spout Milton
Our buildings quote Milton at you.

It says, “A good book is the precious lifeblood of a master spirit.” A quote by none other than John Milton. I’ll take that reminder over a billboard advertising the latest traffic jams or Botox any day.

So, yeah. I’m from Indiana. You got a problem with that?

18 Comments on Indiana: It’s The Place To Be.

August 14, 2011 at 10:40 pm (4 years ago)

Yeah, I often made fun of my hometown, even a popular radio duo were fined for making fun of the town I grew up in. (The radio duo was from (broadcasted) St Louis about 90 miles north of where I lived)

August 15, 2011 at 8:53 am (4 years ago)

Oh, this isn’t my hometown. I’m from Detroit. Which, you know, is ripe for picking on. Well, now it’s more pitiful than anything, but back in the day? Oh how we made fun of it.

2. Nancy
    August 15, 2011 at 12:14 am (4 years ago)

I’ve lived in Indiana my whole life. I know what you mean about the corn fields (and meth), but Indiana really has some beautiful things to see. If you are ever looking some true beauty, head up my way to Chesterton. We are right on Lake Michigan and the Indiana Dunes State Park. I don’t know how long you have lived here, but welcome!

August 15, 2011 at 8:52 am (4 years ago)

I am jealous of your Lake Michigan-ness. But not your winters. We’re just far enough down where they’re not *quite* as terrible.

3. Wendy
    August 15, 2011 at 1:31 am (4 years ago)

I’ve been to Indiana several times to visit family and I loved it! I even wanted to go to I.U. as a teen but was convinced otherwise by my dad who grew up in Gary. White Castle and Dairy Queen – nothing wrong with that!

August 15, 2011 at 8:51 am (4 years ago)

Please tell me you have dairy queen in Cali? I can’t quite imagine a world without dairy queen. Not that I go there often, but I like to know that I could if I wanted to

4. Meagan
    August 15, 2011 at 8:06 am (4 years ago)

Just like any state, there are gorgeous views and lovely towns… and there are some ugly places. Franklin Hall, the last picture there, was originally the library. That’s why it has that quote on it. (It currently mostly houses student services – registrar, bursar, financial aid.) The Chemistry Building is neat – it has chemical symbols on the facade and a tree growing in it (they built an addition around a tree that was growing there). There are some really gorgeous limestone buildings on campus.

August 15, 2011 at 8:51 am (4 years ago)

Yep. There’s plenty of ugly to go around. Just doing my part to educate the world on the other parts of our down home image. It did crack me up that when I moved here, even the license plates featured a corn field.

5. Paula @ thewilyweez
    August 16, 2011 at 9:05 am (4 years ago)

I grew up in West Virginia and the jokes about that state are endless. If you have an hour of your life you need to waste watch The wild & wonderful Whites of WV. :)

August 18, 2011 at 9:34 pm (4 years ago)

Yep. I know some of those jokes. But hey, I’m from Detroit. We’re not much better off.

6. Lady Jennie
    August 17, 2011 at 11:04 am (4 years ago)

Hey – my dad grew up there and I still have cousins there. I have a lot of affection for that state (even if we don’t share the same political views).

August 18, 2011 at 9:32 pm (4 years ago)

I’m in a liberal oasis in a very Republican state. I just don’t open my mouth when people start talking about politics.

7. Amanda C
    August 19, 2011 at 8:24 am (4 years ago)

I’m getting in on this one late, but I have to agree on everything. I’m a born and raised Hoosier, and I grew up in a town about 45 minutes north of Indianapolis. There was no way to avoid the cornfields to get to Sheridan. It was a small town, and I was glad to get out when I did, but there are still loads of beautiful places even there.
    Now that we live here (in the same town as Amber), I almost can’t believe we ever lived anywhere else. I do miss some of the action of the bigger cities in which we used to live, but I couldn’t imagine giving up the beauty that is this town. I mean, we have deer almost daily roaming through our yard, and we’re probably less than 10-15 minutes from downtown. I’m glad we moved here, and I’m glad we’re here to (hopefully) stay.

August 19, 2011 at 11:53 am (4 years ago)

You said it sister. There are times when I think it’d be better for my career if we moved on. But you know what? I really don’t want to.

8. Chrissy @ Fireflies and Hummingbirds
    August 20, 2011 at 12:50 pm (4 years ago)

Where did you live before you moved to Indiana?

I was born here, and have lived here (in numerous cities and towns) all but about a year of my life. I was 3 or 4 months in Aberdeen, Maryland, and 8 months in Lake Mary, Florida.

Florida is my favorite place in the world, but as I’ve gotten older – and dare I say, matured a little bit – I’ve learned to see Indiana for the great place that it is. It’s not perfect, but is any place?

I’m proud of my state, and even prouder of my town (Fishers), and even though I cannot stand the brutal winters, it looks like I’ll be staying here for a while! :)

August 29, 2011 at 9:06 am (4 years ago)

I’m a Detroiter at heart, and I suppose always will be. But like you, I long for warmer climes. Maybe someday…You’re not far from me! I’m just in Bloomington. Small world!

9. critters and crayons
    November 7, 2011 at 2:58 am (4 years ago)

This is a beautiful post, Amber! I am embarrassed to admit that I am actually here to thank you for the kind comment you left on my guest post at Scary Mommy months ago on the Myth of the Super Mom. You said our laundry piles should get married and have babies. That is scary because my laundry seems to already multiply by osmosis. And, I’m with you- I hate cleaning toilets. I’m responding here, because I was such a new blogger when my post ran, that I thought it would be bad form to comment on a host blog- um? But, I know better now- so here I am. Thanks for the comment!

November 10, 2011 at 8:48 am (4 years ago)

You’re very welcome! Always pleased to talk to another Indiana girl!