The Great Garage Sale Debate.

You know how you know when something’s a pit? When your toddler points at it and says, “ewwww, messy.” That’s what she did this evening when she stepped into our garage.

And she’s right. It is a pit. Inside, we have:

• Three bikes we never use
  • Eight kitchen chairs we never use
  • A fish tank
  • An old CD rack
  • A decrepit papasan chair (and ottoman)
  • A broken rocking chair
  • 6 million comic book storage boxes
  • 50 bazillion assorted baby items

It’s the baby crap that is taking up the most room. Which is crazy. I mean, think about it. When those little people hatch, they fit in the crook of your arm. But their stuff? Multiplies until it takes over the whole house, pushing everything else into dusty corners and under drafty windows.

And since they grow faster than a tick when it’s fastened to a juicy vein, their stuff quickly becomes too small, out grown, useless. So you put it away somewhere, thinking that someday you’ll need it again.

At least I did.

But now I’m not so sure. I mean, I’m almost 36. Which, as I overheard on a crowded plane, makes me pretty much over the hill when it comes to babymaking.

And you know what? I kinda like my life. She’s sleeping through the night (mostly). She can talk. Which means she can tell me what she wants (sometimes she even adds a please or a thank you). And I’m told that at some point before she hits kindergarten, she’ll start using all that expensive potty training equipment I bought her.

Do I really want to do it all over again?

Part of me says yes, yes I do. But the more rational side of me? The one that had three abdominal surgeries in the space of the year? Wants nothing to do with any of it.

Which leaves me staring at my disgusting garage and wondering. Should I just pick a sunny Saturday morning and unload it all? Pass it on to mommies who could use a $15 dollar swing or a $1o high chair?

It’s really tempting.

Especially since that would mean there would probably be space in the garage for theĀ  pretty new car I have every intention of buying this weekend (but more on that later).

Do I do it? Clean house and say good bye to the infant years for good? Or hang on to it…just in case?

I really don’t know. My luck, I’d get rid of it all and end up preggers two months later.

And that thought? Leaves the mushy mommy in me rubbing her hands in glee and saying DO IT!

What would you do in my shoes, Internet?

10 Comments on The Great Garage Sale Debate.

1. Meagan
    August 11, 2011 at 10:14 pm (4 years ago)

If you do sell it (and if you are thinking of selling it, you’ve probably already made your decision), you can probably get stuff pretty cheap from other moms in the moms group if you do change your mind.

August 12, 2011 at 9:14 am (4 years ago)

You have a point there! Hmmmm….

2. Andi
    August 12, 2011 at 12:53 am (4 years ago)

There is an old saying that nothing makes a woman get pregnant faster than getting rid of all her baby stuff. My mom kept my crib til she was 50 just because she was scared of that happening!!!

But I’m cheap. And I hate the huge mess that my garage has become too, so I say – SELL IT! You can always be one of those garage sale mommies if the time comes up again for you.

And we bought a new car two days before Peanut was born. TWO DAYS! Like we weren’t going to adjust enough! But I love it. Sooooo glad we did it!

August 12, 2011 at 9:14 am (4 years ago)

Oooh, what kind of car did you get? I am excited about the car, although I’m not sure there’s any way on the planet we can get the garage clean enough to fit a car in there.

• Andi
        August 13, 2011 at 12:55 am (4 years ago)

We got a Dodge Durango. Used. 2006. Helluva steal on the price, too. Leather, 8 seater, DVD player, the whole shebang – and a Hemi engine! Ha! It’s my super-powerful soccer mom car :)

What kind are you looking at?

Oh. . . and its so big, it won’t fit in our garage. (We have storage cabinets that take up some of the space.) So maybe you dont need to clean yoru garage either!!!

August 15, 2011 at 8:55 am (4 years ago)

Sounds pretty! We’re looking at a Subaru Forester. Red. Heated seats. Sunroof. Ahhhhhh….

3. Erin
    August 12, 2011 at 3:42 am (4 years ago)

ohhh Sister! As I sit here 32 wks pregger with #4….I don’t know that I am in any position to distribute advice….but…

We actually passed most of our baby items along to others after #3 was born and the universe has paid it all back in full…

I say SELL and replace if needed:)

Your cozy coupe needs a home:) Good Luck!!

August 12, 2011 at 9:11 am (4 years ago)

32 weeks already? Time flies. You’re probably right, but I think I’ll procrastinate just a little longer…

4. Charlotte
    August 13, 2011 at 11:45 am (4 years ago)

This is a hard one because I also have a hard time parting with things… It’s that g-d awful nagging voice in the back of my head that insists that ONE DAY those pants/that skirt/whatever misc item will come back into style or whatever and it stays put where it shall live forever.

I say separate everything into piles: one of things you def don’t need any longer, one of maybes, and one with must-haves. This might make you feel better b/c you are still making progress, but without feeling like you’re donating all of those baby items you may one day like to have again :)

August 15, 2011 at 8:54 am (4 years ago)

That, my friend, is a good idea.