Amber: Unplugged.

You know what I did this weekend, Internet? I took a nap.

Hardly shocking behavior, I know. But for me? It was a major accomplishment.  Before I could lie down on the couch and curl up in a ray of sunshine, I had to do two things.

1. Make the difficult decision to ignore my never-shrinking To Do list.
  2. Shut. My. Mind. Off.

That last one? Took major willpower to pull off. There are always 5 million things pulling at the back of my brain. Always. To ignore them, I have to put on some heavy duty noise-cancelling mental headphones and turn the volume up to 11.

But I did it.

I napped for more than an hour, undisturbed. And when my daughter woke from a bad dream, still sleepy from her own nap, we laid back down on the couch and slept some more. It was beautiful.

You know what else I did?

1. I weeded my flower beds
  2. Had a conversation with my husband
  3. Read a book (a real book, not the electronic kind)
  4. Enjoyed (yes, I said enjoyed) a trip to Kmart with my daughter
  5. Bought some cleaner from a homeless man
  6. Helped teach my daughter how to ride a tricycle
  7. Went swimming at the pool
  8. Took my dog for a walk

Did you notice what’s missing from that list? Any mention of tweeting, blogging, emailing or any other form of social networking.

I turned it off. All of it. In fact, I semi-on purpose lost my phone early Saturday morning and didn’t bother to find it until today. It was beautiful. Beautiful, I tell you.

Truth is, I sometimes get so caught up in my “online life” that I sometimes forget to appreciate the beauty of what’s around me. And you know what? The world is beautiful. Mostly.

Not all of it (I’d gladly hide my nose in this computer from now until judgement day if it meant I never had to look at a sink full of dirty dishes again), but most of it. I’m going to try and take a little more time to enjoy it from now on.

I’m afraid that if I don’t? The next time I look up from my computer screen, Tori will be a teenager walking away with the car keys in her hand. And I? Will be wondering what on earth happened to my life.

As Ben Franklin said, “Do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of.”

Well said, Mr. Franklin. Well said.

16 Comments on Amber: Unplugged.

1. C @ Kid Things
    August 22, 2011 at 9:24 pm (4 years ago)

Well said, indeed. I’ve been taking my own break lately, too. Sometimes you just have to.

August 29, 2011 at 9:05 am (4 years ago)

You do indeed. Or burn out forever (whoa, I am dramatic, huh?).

August 22, 2011 at 9:49 pm (4 years ago)

Aren’t naps blissful? Every time I try to take a nap, the phone rings four hundred times and I get mad, mad, mad! Why is it that I can take the kids to school (Joey preschool) for 2 whole weeks and the one day I think, ‘Hey it’s nap time’ the phone rings five different times with an urgent caller on the other end?

Oh yeah, and the 2 weeks prior the phone didn’t ring once even when I was bored and just trying to will a wrong caller, a prank caller, someone wanting to talk to me, a telemarketer…anyone…….it never rings then.

August 29, 2011 at 9:05 am (4 years ago)

I love naps. It’s too bad the universe doesn’t respect them.

3. BalancingMama (Julie)
    August 22, 2011 at 10:37 pm (4 years ago)

I have been pondering an extended tech break myself! Just haven’t found time to really do it… and maybe a little afraid. Would I be bored? Will I have to play dollhouse (my least favorite 3-yr-old game) for hours on end? Or, will I have the best quality time possible with my sweet girl?

August 29, 2011 at 9:04 am (4 years ago)

You should try it just to make sure you still can. It’s good for the soul…

4. Frelle
    August 22, 2011 at 11:28 pm (4 years ago)

a lot of truth here. and Im glad you enjoyed your unplugged weekend!

August 29, 2011 at 9:04 am (4 years ago)

Thanks! I had a mostly unplugged week actually, as you can tell by the lateness of this comment…

5. Missy @ Wonder, Friend
    August 23, 2011 at 2:34 pm (4 years ago)

I am a huge fan of the unplugged weekend. Sounds like you had a great time!

August 29, 2011 at 9:03 am (4 years ago)

I did. Had another one (mostly) this weekend. It may become a habit…

6. Shell
    August 24, 2011 at 9:32 am (4 years ago)

Good for you!

I have had to shut off some times. I’ve been kind of absent from twitter lately. I’m not on top of returning visits and replying.

I get to it all eventually…. but I’ve had to find a balance where those who are in my house come before those who are on my computer.

August 29, 2011 at 9:03 am (4 years ago)

Yeah. Every once in a while, I just completely burn out. That’s when I know it’s time to step back. But I’m back in this week!

7. Lady Jennie
    August 25, 2011 at 2:26 pm (4 years ago)

What a great quote. I, too, worry that I’ll blink and my kids will be out the door with the car keys.

August 29, 2011 at 9:02 am (4 years ago)

Yeah. Maybe we should just pin our eyes open…

8. Lisa Tognola
    August 26, 2011 at 7:49 am (4 years ago)

Ah, yes, you captured it well, Amber–life is a balancing act, especially with social media in it! Great to meet you at BlogHer ’11. Hope to stay in touch on twitter.

August 29, 2011 at 9:01 am (4 years ago)

You too! Maybe I’ll see you at BlogHer ’12?