Wishful Shoeing.

It was a cold, blustery day. The kind where sleet blankets your hair within seconds and turns into product-infused icicles that drip onto your your salt-spotted jacket when you go inside. The kind where your spirit shrivels up, too bereft of sunshine to properly fill your eyes.

My husband had ordered me out of the house, insisting I needed to take a little time for myself.

Lost without my endless To Do list and feeling unbalanced without a toddler on my hip, I blearily got into my car and headed to the mall—the only destination my sleep-starved mind could even think to go.

Shivering as my sneaker-clad foot slipped into yet another slushy puddle, I hurried toward the glowing Macy’s sign, halfheartedly hoping I’d find something that would remind me of spring.

I flitted from rack to rack—too tired of winter to even want to try on the itchy sweaters and woolen pants whose prices had been slashed with red pen.

I stopped for a moment in front of a glittery cocktail dress, its figure hugging sparkles catching my color-starved eye. But when I looked into the mirror behind it, I couldn’t convince the bedraggled woman who stared back at me that there was any point in trying it on.

Getting discouraged, I wandered over to the shoe section. I fondled the soft leather of black knee-high boots I knew would never fit my calves and tried to convince myself to buy a pair of the cheap yet cozy looking Ugg knockoffs that stood next to them.

But when I turned to find a sales person to get my size, I saw them. The Perfect Shoes.

Sassy white polka dots danced across a black background and sat atop a saucy red patent leather platform heel. The open toe beckoned, inviting me to slip a freshly manicured foot inside and skip away from the sullenness that blanketed my world.

I had to try them on.

The shoes of spring

"Come play with us," the shoes whispered.

As  I slipped them on to my feet, newly liberated from their wooly socks, a smile broke free.

When I stood and walked, my spine straightened, my shoulders went back, and my imagination ran wild.

I pictured myself wearing them with a flouncy black dress, red purse and a fire engine red lipstick to match. I imagined taking my husband’s hand and walking out of the warm summer sunshine into a dimly lit night club, where we’d sit on velvet couches and sip martinis. I pictured myself giving my body to the pulsing of the music and dance, dance, dancing the night away.

I had to have them.

When I returned home, it was with a triumphant smile and a shopping bag swishing sexily at my side. Once inside, I tore them out of their crinkly protective layer of tissue paper and pranced around the living room.

“This is what I’m going to wear on our next date!” I said.

My husband expressed the appropriate amount of enthusiasm, then passed our fussing toddler back to me. And I? Plunged back into reality.

My daughter once again balanced on my hip, I sat the shoes gently in a corner—one where I could see them.

“Next weekend,” I swore. “Next weekend I’ll take you out for a spin.”

That weekend passed. And the next, and the next, and the next.

We still haven’t been on that date. And those shoes? Have never been worn.

But still they beckon, sparkling at me from the unexpected places my daughter drags them.

Someday I’ll get my sexy back. Someday I’ll give those shoes their due.

But for now? I maneuver through my busy life wearing my practical, polka dot-free shoes.

24 Comments on Wishful Shoeing.

1. Janet
    July 14, 2011 at 10:56 pm (5 years ago)

They are adorable shoes! You’ll wear them someday.

2. Unknown Mami
    July 15, 2011 at 12:00 am (5 years ago)

I love those shoes and I love this piece.

3. Amber
    July 15, 2011 at 5:12 am (5 years ago)

“and feeling unbalanced without a toddler on my hip”

That jumped off the screen at me because it succinctly describes every outing I undertake without my children. I wish I didn’t feel that way sometimes.

The shoes are awesome, by the way. I have a couple of pairs acquired in the same manner you’ve described in this post. I hope we both get to take them out someday soon!

4. Jessica
    July 15, 2011 at 8:49 am (5 years ago)

^ Awesome spam bot!
    Get yourself a babysitter girl and get your husband to take you out somewhere posh in your little town of yours. You deserve to get all sultry once and a while.

Now do you have a perfect dress to go with the perfect shoes?

5. JDaniel4's Mom
    July 15, 2011 at 9:06 am (5 years ago)

What great shoes! They really need a opportunity to get out of the house.

6. Vikki @ She Has Cute Shoes
    July 15, 2011 at 9:22 am (5 years ago)

Oh…shoes DO whisper. And those shoes are yours. They have plans for you. You may have to wait but they have a special occasion in mind. I promise it will be worth it! :)

And I think they are the best shoes I have seen this week and I am completely green with envy! I WANT these shoes to whisper my name !

Oh, yes, the writing was great too of course. 😉

July 19, 2011 at 9:13 am (5 years ago)

They are great shoes…but you can’t have them. They were the last pair. :)

7. Cassie
    July 15, 2011 at 12:06 pm (5 years ago)

So cute. Shoes really can make the difference in ones life!

July 19, 2011 at 9:13 am (5 years ago)

Yes they can. For good or ill, I think.

8. Katie
    July 15, 2011 at 1:40 pm (5 years ago)

*sigh* I so hope you get to wear them soon! Because they really are The Perfect Shoes. :)

Stopping by from TRDC.

July 19, 2011 at 9:10 am (5 years ago)

Aren’t they though? I will pull them out soon – even if we’re only going to Cracker Barrel.

9. Galit Breen
    July 15, 2011 at 2:24 pm (5 years ago)

Those shoes are delicious!

{I adore how supportive your husband was of you getting out, going shopping, the shoes, etc.}

And yes! You will, for sure, get yo’ sexy on and soon! :)

July 19, 2011 at 9:10 am (5 years ago)

My husband knows just the right things to say sometimes. It’s why I keep him around. :)

10. Eric
    July 15, 2011 at 2:41 pm (5 years ago)

The characterization here is excellent. I feel like I know the protagonist very well. Also, I really like the use of the picture. That was a nice touch.

July 19, 2011 at 9:10 am (5 years ago)

Thanks. I debated whether or not I should add a pic, and decided to at the last minute. I’m glad it added to the post!

11. Terry
    July 15, 2011 at 3:01 pm (5 years ago)

You told so much in this piece, and you did it with brilliance. You used the weather, the dialogue, the images…all to reveal the pieces of you.
    Grab those shoes, call a sitter….and GO!!

July 19, 2011 at 9:09 am (5 years ago)

Thank you! There’s a sitter on tap for Saturday, so hopefully everything will work out and we can go!

12. Catherine
    July 16, 2011 at 7:52 pm (5 years ago)

Wow- we were on the same wavelength with this prompt only I went with fiction and a little darker but still, about how shoes can make us feel.

I LOVE your shoes and am sad that you haven’t worn them yet. Please have a date soon- your shoes need it!

July 19, 2011 at 9:09 am (5 years ago)

I’m going to try…you’re braver than me. I couldn’t quite make myself tackle fiction.

13. Kir
    July 16, 2011 at 10:26 pm (5 years ago)

Hi!! My first visit to your blog and what a story you shared with me. Those shoes are FANTASTIC..they made me smile and giggle a little, so envious of the power they have. Please wear them soon, put them on and go out…feel the woman in you strut in them.

Great job!!!!!

July 19, 2011 at 9:08 am (5 years ago)

Well, thank you! We’re having a date night next weekend, so maybe they’ll get a trial run. I hope you come back and see me!

14. BalancingMama (Julie)
    July 17, 2011 at 2:28 pm (5 years ago)

That post was as fabulous as those shoes! And despite the fact that those shoes would hurt like hell on my feet, I can definitely identify with your emotions.

July 19, 2011 at 9:08 am (5 years ago)

Ahhh, sometimes it’s worth a few blisters to feel good. Or so I tell myself.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Wishful Shoeing.

1. […] Wishful Shoeing. | Amber Page Writes | Amber Page Writes Sassy white polka dots danced across a black background and sat atop a saucy red patent leather platform heel. The open toe beckoned, inviting me to slip a freshly manicured foot inside and skip away from the sullenness […]