Poof! It’s House Cleaning Magic.

This morning when I left my house, pet hair carpeted the floors. Spilled cheerios lay under the table. A mysterious stain peeked out from under the cabinets. There may have even been a fur ball hanging from the ceiling fan.

But when I get home?

Everything will sparkle. The TV will have been dusted. The fan wiped clean. The oatmeal removed from the microwave. Even Tori’s potty seat will be clean.

Because, you see, I broke down and got myself a cleaning service.

I said I never would. That I didn’t want anyone touching my stuff or wandering around my house when I wasn’t home. Plus, it just seemed so….bourgeoisie.

After all, my mom never needed a cleaning lady. Neither did my aunt. Or my grandma. Or any of the women I was surrounded by while growing up. They kept immaculate homes and gardens, with nary a pillow out of place.

But I? Am a natural born slob. As is my husband. Add in a toddler, three furry creatures, and a 70-hour work week (because this crazy lady is freelancing at night) and you have total chaos.

So I did it. I made the call. I let a stranger in to see how we “really” live.

And now that the embarrassment’s over? I’m really glad I did.

There’s just something magical about coming home to a super-clean house. One you didn’t clean.

After the first time they came, I wandered around the house with my mouth hanging open. Things I hadn’t even realized were dirty looked brand new. It was awesome.

They’re coming again today. Which means I spent last night frantically picking up all our crap and swearing under my breath at our innate sloppiness.

But it will be worth it this evening.

Because for a few hours?  My house will be beautiful.

13 Comments on Poof! It’s House Cleaning Magic.

July 26, 2011 at 10:23 am (5 years ago)

Awesome. You should post photos and since you can’t see fresh scents, you should describe how wonderful the place smells when you walk in the house after it’s been cleaned.

July 29, 2011 at 8:44 am (5 years ago)

Hmmm. Maybe next time. It’s already messy again. :)

2. Meagan
    July 26, 2011 at 10:31 am (5 years ago)

Ah, another apostle of Keely. I’m glad you’re happy with them. She gets a lot of referrals from me. :)

I don’t work the 70 hour weeks and I love having them come because the whole house is clean on the same day. Totally worth it.

July 29, 2011 at 8:44 am (5 years ago)

She’s like crack. And I’m addicted. Thankfully, there’s no bad sad effects.

3. Allison @ Alli n Son
    July 26, 2011 at 10:38 am (5 years ago)

I’m insanely jealous. I can not keep up with the fur balls in my house. They are taking over.

July 29, 2011 at 8:43 am (5 years ago)

I know what you mean. I think they used to stop shedding every once in a while, but no more.

4. Janet
    July 26, 2011 at 8:53 pm (5 years ago)

Oooohh…I’ve been seriously considering this, but haven’t for all the reasons you mentioned. But wow, it does sound wonderful. I love a super clean house, and I just don’t have the time or energy to make it happen anymore.

July 29, 2011 at 8:43 am (5 years ago)

Exorcise those guilt demons and do it. You’ll thank yourself later.

5. Missy @ Wonder, Friend
    July 27, 2011 at 12:05 am (5 years ago)

I love having the entire house clean at once. What a concept! We don’t have a cleaning service anymore (well, we do, but she’s me and she’s LAZY). I do miss it.

Enjoy your house and do not for one second worry about being bourgeois or anything else. Revel in the clean!

July 29, 2011 at 8:42 am (5 years ago)

I did, for the 4.5 hours it lasted. Then the cat vomited in the middle of the living room floor and the kid emptied her toybox. But at least I saw it…

6. Jen {at} take2mommy
    July 27, 2011 at 5:34 pm (5 years ago)

A good cleaning service is worth its weight in gold! I used to have a cleaning person come in every other week. I loved walking into the house after she cleaned that day. Alas, when I quit my job my hubs gave the cleaning person the heave-ho :(

July 29, 2011 at 8:42 am (5 years ago)

Yeah, I’m sure if I quit my job we’d have to let her go…a good reason to keep working, I guess.

7. Erica
    July 29, 2011 at 11:01 am (5 years ago)

Um, yeah, I had a team of cleaners do our house before e was bornk and it was magical. I want them back. For good.