House Arrest With a Toddler.

When the weather outside is cold and gray and ice and snow cover every square foot as far as the eye can see, I keep myself going with one thought:

“Soon it will be summer and we can play outside all day.”

I picture myself deadheading my immaculate gardens (because there’s been plenty of time to keep them weed free). I imagine our family going to the pool or the beach and splashing all day in the sun. I think about all the fun we’ll have playing at the park, and getting treats from the ice cream truck and all the other joyous things that go along with summer.

Most of all, I dream of the day when I don’t have to wrack my brain every 15 minutes to find a new activity for an antsy toddler.

May arrives and the weather is glorious. We spend June soaking up every bit of that summer sun. But in July? The oppressive heat smacks us upside our heads and forces us inside again.

Before long, the toys that had lain untouched in the toy box for a couple of months are strewn around the living room again. The TV is blaring Dora the Explorer. And a cooped up toddler is looking to me for entertainment.

It’s 9:30 in the morning, and we have already painted, made smoothies together, drawn with chalk and played super hero. I let her splash in the sink for 15 minutes—because it seemed to amuse her.

But now? She is banging on the door again, saying, “mommy, Outside!”

Unfortunately, we already did that too—and she melted within ten minutes.

Next up on the agenda will be a full-fledged Tori Fit, complete with dramatic collapse to the floor, flailing arms and eir-piercing screams.

Yeah, summer rocks.

This heat wave better lift soon, or I’m going to be tantruming right along with her.

10 Comments on House Arrest With a Toddler.

1. Erica
    July 23, 2011 at 10:25 am (5 years ago)

I literally JUST said to hubs as this came across my twitter feed..”well, it looks like we’re not going anywhere today in this heat.”

See, because our in laws were supposed to come over and watch the kids so we could – gasp- go out for lunch and my MIL just called to let us know she has shingles.

So no in laws to baby sit.

No pool at the in laws for B to play in.

And the house affect continues for this Mommy.

Summer is awesome, indeed.

July 29, 2011 at 8:46 am (5 years ago)

I hope you guys get out this weekend…

2. C @ Kid Things
    July 23, 2011 at 11:13 am (5 years ago)

I’ve never been a fan of summer, this year seems to be even worse. The only way summer could be fun is if you have a pool readily available, but it’s been even too hot for that. It’s too hot for anything. Except lying around in the air conditioning lamenting at how hot it is.

July 29, 2011 at 8:46 am (5 years ago)

I think I have the first 94 episodes of Dora memorized…

July 23, 2011 at 1:14 pm (5 years ago)

“the beach”. I’m not too sure I’ve ever (and for sure not recently) seen any photos of beach play. Since I’m totally landlocked, I really, really want to see beach photos. So when it’s not 1503F outside, please take Tori to the beach and take photos and blog about it……do it for the Beach Girl in me.

July 29, 2011 at 8:45 am (5 years ago)

You’ve never been to the beach? That makes me sad. Go, go, go…someday.

July 29, 2011 at 8:45 am (5 years ago)

Two more months and we’ll be wondering where our summer went.

4. Missy @ Wonder, Friend
    July 25, 2011 at 4:55 pm (5 years ago)

We are right there, too. So stupidly hot. The pool is our only option, and it’s hard work with a toddler, especially my daredevil. If we survive until cooler weather arrives, it’ll be a miracle!

July 29, 2011 at 8:44 am (5 years ago)

I was thinking this weekend would be better, but no. I think we’re just going to spend the whole darn thing at the pool.