BlogHer For Introverts: A Survival Guide.

BlogHer. It’s three days of hard listening, frantic networking and over-the-top partying. It’s champagne and cupcakes, chocolate and wine. It’s aching feet, pounding heads and protesting bellies. It’s 3,000 women gathered together to celebrate themselves—and making a lot of noise while they’re doing it.

And for introverts? BlogHer can be downright terrifying.

That’s right. I said it. BlogHer is scary. But even the most introverted blogger can still have a fabulous time—it just takes a little more work.

Here are a few tips for making the most of BlogHer:

Get a roommate (or three). You know what’s scarier than entering a room full of 3,000 strangers? Entering it alone. But when you have roommates? Chances are, somebody’s going to want to go to the same place that you want to go most of the time. Meaning you? Will have some support (and someone to drag you in if you try to bolt).

Get cell numbers before you go—and use them. You might think it’ll be easy to find your best tweeps and blogging buddies at the conference. You might be tempted not to bother plugging their numbers into your phone, thinking they won’t want to be bothered with your texts or calls—especially since  you’ll most likely just run into them.

But you won’t. Get all the digits you can, and when you find yourself in need of a friendly face? Send out an S.O.S. and before you know it, you’ll be back on solid ground—with a friend at your side.

Speaking of cell phones, call your family. I don’t know about you, but I need regular contact with my husband to stay centered. And hearing my daughter’s voice has a way of making me smile even when I’m hundreds of miles away. When you’re feeling a little lost? Checking in with those you love can remind you why you’re there in the first place.

Take breaks. There are always about ten million things going on at BlogHer. But you don’t have to do all of them. Or any of them. It’s completely okay to go to your room and bury your head under a pillow for a while. Or to go hang in the Serenity Suite. Or to go outside and get some fresh air. Or to leave the conference entirely (anyone want to come visit the ocean with me? It’s very calming).

Remember, it’s okay to sit on the sidelines. I know. The point of going to a conference like this is to network, and meet new friends, and pass out business cards. But if you’re an introvert like me? All that socializing gets to be painful after a while.

So cut yourself some slack. Go sit in a corner and people watch. Or stand at the bar with a drink in your hand and tune out. It’s okay to be happy being a wallflower sometimes—the world needs quiet observers just as much as it needs social butterflies.

That’s what I’ve got. For a better, more comprehensive list of tips, check out the post that Mommy Pants wrote today. It rocks. Also, if you’re going? I want your digits. For real. Send them to me?

27 Comments on BlogHer For Introverts: A Survival Guide.

1. Cheryl D.
    July 6, 2011 at 10:51 pm (5 years ago)

I’m going! I’m going! This will be my first blogging conference. I can’t wait! I’m so excited1

I’m an introvert that has played the part of extrovert for so long, I forgot I was an introvert! LOL!

July 7, 2011 at 4:01 pm (5 years ago)

I’m always shocked when people tell me they don’t see me as shy – in my head I’m a cowering little wallflower. But I guess I fake it pretty well too!

2. Cheryl @ Mommypants
    July 6, 2011 at 11:10 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks for the shout-out!

You know what else i should’ve said: don’t be afraid to do stuff on your own w/out worrying about what your friends are doing. The conference is what you make it, and if there’s a session you want to go to and none of your friends do? Go anyway!

July 7, 2011 at 4:00 pm (5 years ago)

Indeed. A girl’s got to do what a girl’s got to do!

3. Alexandra
    July 7, 2011 at 1:34 am (5 years ago)

I hope I go.

I’m trying to gather the money, I really want to go.

If I am there, I need your number!!

July 7, 2011 at 4:00 pm (5 years ago)

Oh, you have to go! I’d lurve to meet my favorite empress!

4. wendy
    July 7, 2011 at 1:49 am (5 years ago)

omg, you totally wrote this for me, right? printing.

July 7, 2011 at 3:59 pm (5 years ago)

Of course. :) Don’t worry, you’ll be fine. And if you’re not, call me. We can talk each other down.

5. Kate, aka guavalicious
    July 7, 2011 at 10:15 am (5 years ago)

Great post! I think people are afraid to spend time alone at BlogHer. For me it’s the key to my sanity!

July 7, 2011 at 3:58 pm (5 years ago)

I know. It’s just impossible to be sociable 24 hours a day!

6. Caitlin {Pacifier In My Pocket}
    July 7, 2011 at 3:36 pm (5 years ago)

I love this! I am a total introvert and I really struggled last year at BlogHer not over extend myself. It resulted in me taking my lunch on Saturday back to my room to eat alone instead of trying to chat and make small talk during lunch.

Great advice! That’s one of the reasons I love having a room full of roommates too!

July 7, 2011 at 3:58 pm (5 years ago)

Sometimes you just have to have a little quiet. I’m looking forward to catching a little solitude under a palm tree…

7. Jamee @ A New Kind of Normal
    July 7, 2011 at 8:22 pm (5 years ago)

I am a complete introvert and hope to one day work my way up to BlogHer! I’m starting with Bloggy Bootcamp in October and think I may work my way up to Type A Con next year. I would curl up in a corner and cry with 3000 people! But this post is completely awesome & super helpful even as I’m preparing for BBC with only 100 ladies! Thanks for sharing! Now I’m off to check out the post you mentioned!

July 12, 2011 at 5:05 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve heard BBC is awesome. You’ll have a great time!

8. Adrienne
    July 7, 2011 at 9:38 pm (5 years ago)

What great advice! I consider myself pretty social, and I’m intimidated by a conference. I’d like to go to one, but haven’t had the opportunity yet.

July 12, 2011 at 5:05 pm (5 years ago)

I think everyone’s a little intimidated. We’re all “bloggers” not socialites!

9. ERin
    July 7, 2011 at 11:33 pm (5 years ago)

ooooohhhhhh….I sooooo wish I could go. Even for one minute – just to be in the company of people who, to me, are celebrity!!! (You included:)

Love the tips – more helpful to everyone than you know!!!

July 12, 2011 at 5:05 pm (5 years ago)

A celebrity, huh? You are too cute. I am a very very small fry…but I wish you were going too. One of these days…

10. Missy @ Wonder, Friend
    July 8, 2011 at 1:11 am (5 years ago)

Wish I was going. I’ll send you my number anyway so you can just text me play-by-play. Kidding. Mostly. 😉

July 12, 2011 at 5:03 pm (5 years ago)

Do it. Then I can text you when I’m cowering in a corner so I can look busy.

11. Elisa
    July 8, 2011 at 10:06 am (5 years ago)

I absolutely would! Alas, this year I will have to sit it out… AGAIN. A 15-hour flight for a weekend-long conference just sounds like madness even for me :-)

Have a fantastic time!

July 12, 2011 at 5:03 pm (5 years ago)

A 15 hour flight is madness for anything. *shudders* I am going to have a great time (I say determinedly).

12. Mellisa
    July 9, 2011 at 10:42 am (5 years ago)

Absolutely loved this. Staying home with my kids for the last 10 years has turned this once social butterfly into a complete introvert. Printing this to keep with me at Blogher!

July 12, 2011 at 5:02 pm (5 years ago)

You’ll do fine. I hope we get to meet!

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on BlogHer For Introverts: A Survival Guide.

1. […] though I’ve read the posts at Mommypants and Amber Page Writes about what to and what not to fret about as a newbie, I still can’t help but let my anxiety get […]

2. […] though I’ve read the posts at Mommypants and Amber Page Writes about what to and what not to fret about as a newbie, I still can’t help but let my anxiety get […]

3. […] panic has officially set it.  Even though I’ve read the posts at Mommypants and Amber Page Writes about what/what not to fret about as a newbie, I still can’t help but let my anxiety get the […]