Wordful Wednesday: Soul Soothers.

by Amber on June 8, 2011

On most days, my mind spins wildly. Thoughts chase each other through my skull, pushing, pulling, whining—demanding I pay attention to each and every one of them. There’s very little I can do to shut them up.

But there’s one thing that quiets my soul:

the ocean drowns it all out

The ocean drowns it all out.

When lying on the beach, toes buried in the warm sand, nose prickling with the warmth of the sun’s rays, I can let it all go. The stress, the worries, the to do list—it all fades away. The roar of the waves pours in through my ears and rushes through my psyche, scouring it clean.

For those precious moments, I am at peace. Free to simply be. To exist in the present, without worrying about where I need to be next, or what my next move should be.

It’s wonderful.

Eventually, I feel refreshed and re-energized, ready to take on the world. I let the sound trickle out of my mind and bring myself back to the present. I take a deep breath of the salty air and let the surrounding noises in.

The thoughts return and I welcome them in. My life may be crazy, but as long as I have the memory of those few perfect moments, I can cope with whatever it throws at me.

Frothy Goodness

Until next time...

Facebook Twitter Email

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Janet June 8, 2011 at 9:36 pm

I feel the same way about my pool. (Don’t have a beach near me.) I swear there is something to what they say about sunlight improving someone’s mood.
Janet recently posted..Sell- Consign- or Donate

Amber June 10, 2011 at 11:18 am

Mmm, I wish I had a pool. All I’ve got is a drainage ditch that sometimes floods. Not the same thing…

Rebecca June 8, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Oh Good Lord! That last photo and even the first are gorgeous photos. Thank you for sharing them. I totally love the beach. The ocean is amazing and so powerful that my mind, body and soul is quieted by the simple majesty of the ocean. Gorgeous!
Rebecca recently posted..Whorking Hard

Amber June 10, 2011 at 11:18 am

Thank you! Every time I go to the vacation, I think “why don’t I live here?” And then I return to my landlocked state with oceans of corn.

Jen June 8, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I could really use some time at the calming beach.
Jen recently posted..One of Life’s Great Mysteries

Amber June 10, 2011 at 11:17 am

Me too, and I just got back Such is life, I guess.

Amanda C June 8, 2011 at 11:55 pm

This is exactly why I’m looking forward to our trip to SC at the end of July. I can’t wait to get my toes in the sand and hear the ocean waves. There’s a reason I was born under a Water sign (Cancer). Too bad I was born and raised in a landlocked state!

Amber June 10, 2011 at 11:17 am

I know, it’s a major flaw with Indiana. But at least it’s closer to the ocean than MI! Someday, I will live at the beach, mark my words…but hopefully not because of global warming.

Lady Jennie June 9, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Such a soul soother when there are no kids to worry about. I would like 3 days on the beach all by myself to really regroup.

Amber June 10, 2011 at 11:16 am

I had all of 45 minutes to myself on the beach, but I cherished every nanosecond!

Elisa June 10, 2011 at 10:42 am

That does sound like perfection – man, I miss the beach. I used to love going there in winter, and the crashing of the waves on the shore for some reason helped me think.
Elisa recently posted..New feature- Sunday Trippin’

Amber June 10, 2011 at 11:15 am

You know, I was just thinking about you…I haven’t stopped by in forever. I need to fix that this weekend…