Off With Her Pigtails?

Tori on a walk

I love my daughter’s hair. The soft blonde color. The spiral curls. The baby fine texture. It’s gorgeous—when it’s brushed.

The problem? She screams and runs for the hills every time she sees a brush in my hand. To actually get it combed, I  have to sit on her. Literally sit on her. And still she shrieks and shrieks, acting like I’m pulling out her fingernails one by one rather than brushing out a few tangles.

This despite the fact that I use the softest brush known to mankind. And a bucket full of apple-scented detangler. And ouch-free ponytail holders.

Most of the time, I do away with brushing altogether and settle for wrestling her knotted, snarl-ridden hair into a couple of crooked pigtails. Sometimes I even leave them in for days (washing her hair is an even more traumatizing event).

I’m thinking it might be time to get it cut—something I’ve managed to put off for more than two years. I’m even wondering if I should cut it all off, directing the hair dresser to give her a kiddy-chic bob.

But it pains me to do it. Pains me, I tell you.

Why? Partly because it’s another step away from babyhood. Another step toward girlhood. But mostly because I just love those floppy pigtails.

Hold me, Internet. This one’s going to hurt.

8 Comments on Off With Her Pigtails?

1. Andi
    June 2, 2011 at 6:09 pm (5 years ago)

Nooooooo!!!! Don’t do it!

I know its miserable and horrible and pain wrenchingly hard to do her hair, but she LOOKS SO CUTE! (although I’m sure she would be cute with a bob as well!).

Its jsut. . . . well. . . I know how hard it is for me to cut L’s hair. And he’s a boy. And when it is cut, I start to get all teary and mopey becase he is no longer my BABY, he is a little boy. Truly just from a haircut.

But if you’re going to do this – really going to do this, then what I have is this : I’ll go to the beauty parlor with you. Here, take my hand.

June 3, 2011 at 9:19 am (5 years ago)

Thank you for your hand holding! I am still undecided. We’ll see how the next week or so goes…

2. Meagan
    June 2, 2011 at 6:32 pm (5 years ago)

Hair grows back. It’s hard the first time, but there has to be a first time eventually. I just got buzz cuts for the boys and I really miss Wil’s curls, but it is a good decision for the summer.

I know a stylist who is really good with kids. I can give you her number if you want. I’ll even meet you over there if you want.

June 3, 2011 at 9:17 am (5 years ago)

Meagan, I’d love the stylist’s number. I’m not sure where to take her. And I know. It will grow. Quickly, right?

3. Jen
    June 2, 2011 at 8:50 pm (5 years ago)

I fight this same battle with Claire and did cut her hair into a shorter bob. It was really cute but she did grow up right before my eyes.

Its just hair, it will grow again.

June 3, 2011 at 9:17 am (5 years ago)

This is true. And she’s such a girly girl, she will probably want to grow it out again.

June 2, 2011 at 9:50 pm (5 years ago)

I always gave Isabella a lollipop when I brushed her hair and even at times when I’d wash it. Worked wonders. And (SO FAR) she has no cavities. She no longer gets bribes for brushing and washing either. I think the bribes started around 2 and lasted for less than a year.

June 3, 2011 at 9:16 am (5 years ago)

That? Is a fabulous idea! I may steal it. M&Ms may work too…they’re her favorite.