My Dog Is More Spoiled Than Your Dog.

by Amber on June 16, 2011

My husband and I were married for ten years before Tori came along. Ten years is a long time to be married and kid-free. So, like many before us, we adopted “fur babies.”

That’s right. I said fur babies.

In 2003, we adopted a little black lab mix we named Kermit the Dog. He was both adorable and completely helpless. Prone to making messes in the house and waking us up in the middle of the night. He was, in fact, our baby.

And I? Was smitten.

I quickly became the type of person who buys her dog costumes to wear on Halloween (and Christmas. And Easter).

Kermit looking cute in Bunny ears

This one got him featured in Bark Magazine. Yes, I enter my dog in photo contests, too.

I  became the type of person who makes her own dog food. From scratch. Or at least I used to be (these days he has to settle for grilled chicken breast on top of his gourmet dog food).

I  even became the type of person who drops her dog off at doggie daycare.

For those of you not familiar with the concept, let me explain it to you. Every morning, you wake up, get ready for work and pile your computer bag, lunch bag and dog in the car.

You double your commute time so you can drop him off at a cutely named center (ours is called the Doghouse), and he spends his day romping with other spoiled pooches.

At the end of the day, you pick him up and get a detailed report of how his day was.

You hear about his bowel movements. His appetite. And yes, you even get accident reports (like when he “accidentally” gets nipped by another dog).

Then you take him home and he collapses into a heap on the floor—much like an exhausted toddler.

And of course, you pay for this lovely service. Not as much as you pay for your children—but enough to make a dent in your budget.

It is, hands down, just about the most yuppy-like thing a person can do (other than drive a Prius and purchase nothing but  organic food from Whole Foods).

I was always slightly ashamed to admit that I did, in fact, pay for daycare for my dog. It seemed like such a frivolous thing to do. Then Tori came and money got tight so our poor mutt had to amuse himself at home.

But I took him back to daycare today. And you know what? I’m really glad I did.

The moment I said, “Kermit, you want to go to doggie daycare?” he started bouncing up and down and yipping short, happy barks. He grinned the whole way there, and when we got out of the car, he literally dragged me to the front door. He was ecstatic to see the owners and followed them out of the room with out a backwards glance.

And when we picked him up tonight? He was happier than I’ve seen him in a long, long time. It did my heart good.

So say what you will. That dog is going to continue to go to daycare. Not every day, but every once in a while. He is, after all, my first born.

Just be glad I don’t carry him around in my purse.

Facebook Twitter Email

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Suzi June 16, 2011 at 10:58 pm

First of all – Kermit the dog is the best dog name I’ve heard in a LONG time!

I think it’s wonderful Kermit was so excited to go back to daycare, whatever people say they are sociable beings too and don’t like being left alone all day most days of the week. We got a second cat just so the first one wouldn’t be alone. And we always leave a tv or radio on for the cats to listen to while we are gone. Clearly I am a crazy cat lady, lol

Amber June 17, 2011 at 9:12 am

Oh, we did the companion cat thing too. Of course the first cat hated him and tortured him mercilessly…but then he died. And our second cat was all alone and spent hours howling and howling…it was sad. Long story short, we became a two cat household again very quickly.

Heather June 17, 2011 at 9:50 am

I don’t think it’s legal to have just one cat. I think they only come in pairs.

I have 2 cats in addition to my dog. I had to get the dog in order to keep from getting a 3rd cat because 3rd cat = certified spinster cat lady!
Heather recently posted..Oh- Vacation- why were you so good to me

Amber June 21, 2011 at 9:06 am

Nah, I know someone who has 16 cats. For real. She? Might be a cat lady. You’re just an animal lover!

Gail June 16, 2011 at 11:01 pm

My doggie daycare is called At Your Bark and Call. It is new, so I don’t get report cards…she is still figuring everything out. But it is soooo worth it. Otherwise I would probably kick my new puppy out the back door and tell him to fend for himself.

If doggie day care makes me a yuppie…then I am proud to be one:)
Gail recently posted..They Wont Remember

Amber June 17, 2011 at 9:11 am

I love that name! The people who run ours are saints—they even offer cage-free boarding. Meaning they live at the daycare and let the dogs sprawl all over the house all night long. It’s the only place I’ll leave him.

Maybe we’re not yuppies, but just excellent parents?

Heather June 17, 2011 at 9:48 am

I most definitely concur about 1) being ashamed I take my dog to daycare and 2) thinking it’s the best thing since sliced bread.

After all a tired puppy is a good puppy and daycare is still cheaper than shoes!
Heather recently posted..Oh- Vacation- why were you so good to me

Amber June 21, 2011 at 9:06 am

When my dog was a puppy? He ate my very favorite sandal of all time. I still haven’t forgiven him, and that was 7 years ago!

Shell June 20, 2011 at 7:34 pm

I have to giggle at this. We have friends who took their dog to a doggy daycare and the first time I heard about it, I laughed b/c I thought they were joking. But, it’s so different w/o kids!

Amber June 21, 2011 at 9:04 am

It really is. And once you have kids, your poor dog is already so spoiled, well, you have to keep right on spoiling him!