Fighting the Baby Fever.

The world around me is full of babies. Newborn babies with their tiny feet, little hands and cutey patootie faces. Not to mention pregnant mommies, with gorgeous round bellies and those quiet, inward glances where you just know they’re checking in with  their babies-to-be.

It’s enough to give even the sanest of women a twinge of baby fever. And sane? Is something I’ve never pretended to be.

But having another baby? Is not an idea I’m entirely on board with right now.

Which is why I’m forcing myself to look at photos like this one:

A mini Tori purping
Mad baby. Always a good baby fever killer.

But then, of course, I run across pictures like this:

tori smiling
Heart. Squeezed.

…And we’re back to square one.

Which is when I go back and read the posts from when I was at my most exhausted, most overwhelmed, and most discouraged.

That works. For a while. Until I do something stupid like read the first post I wrote after she entered the world, or this one, or this one.

…And then the wondering begins again.

14 Comments on Fighting the Baby Fever.

1. Andi O
    June 24, 2011 at 3:48 pm (5 years ago)

Should I email you pics of my stretch marked belly? Because I think its pretty much the map of roads of Los Angeles. It got that bad.

That should hold you off a little longer!

June 27, 2011 at 9:07 am (5 years ago)

Oh, you don’t have to do that. I remember. :)

2. Gail
    June 25, 2011 at 12:28 am (5 years ago)

Someone w/4 kids once told me that you might regret or always wonder about having more kids, but you will never regret having the ones you wind up with. So…basically saying if you have #2, you won’t regret it in the long run. I am going to go for #3 in about a year, my criteria is not having them too far apart:)

June 27, 2011 at 9:07 am (5 years ago)

Right. That’s what I keep thinking. But our family of 3 is cozy…we’ll see.

3. Stephanie
    June 25, 2011 at 9:24 am (5 years ago)

I try to really remember what that sleep deprivation felt like and then try to imagine stacking my almost three year old on top of it. Maybe someday. I hope everyone else has bunches of babies though. So, if this is a voting forum (I am pretending it is), I say go for it :)

June 27, 2011 at 9:06 am (5 years ago)

I think I’m going to stay on the fence for a llittle while. That sleep deprivation is killer…

4. Las Vegas Mama
    June 26, 2011 at 12:28 am (5 years ago)

Stop fighting it… just give in to the baby fever, its all worth it!! I am pregnant with #3 and I am already in love… can’t wait to meet my new little baby! :) Seriously, just go for it, you won’t regret it. Besides, the next one will be far easier, trust me. Baby #1 is insanely hard. After that, the rest is a piece of cake.

June 27, 2011 at 9:06 am (5 years ago)

Hmmmm, maybe. But what if number 2 is a colicky hellion?

June 27, 2011 at 9:05 am (5 years ago)

Sending lots of magic baby dust your way!

5. Lady Jennie
    June 26, 2011 at 4:12 pm (5 years ago)

If I weren’t 40 and broke …! I think I might be over baby fever, almost.

June 27, 2011 at 9:04 am (5 years ago)

That’s a good thing to be, I think!

6. Linda Mikula
    March 25, 2012 at 8:35 am (4 years ago)

I feel your pain. Except I don’t have any yet, and I’m inching ever closer to the 40 mark, and my GYNO is having heart palpitations that I haven’t jumped on the band wagon yet. I just hope I haven’t missed my chance. Makes it a little hard to take that little pill each night…

March 27, 2012 at 2:24 pm (4 years ago)

It’s a hard decision to make, but you won’t be sorry if you throw those pills away. Somehow, it just all works out.