A New Family Tradition: Playing in the Dirt.

by Amber on June 15, 2011

I’ve always loved being in a garden. In fact, some of my earliest and happiest memories are of puttering next to my mom as she planted things and pulled weeds.

So it’s no surprise that having a garden has been a priority for me from the moment I moved into my first apartment. At times, my “garden” has been nothing more than a few flower boxes, but there’s always been something blooming around my home.

Lillies in my garden.

Sunshine for my soul.

And now that I have my own house? The gardens have proliferated to a point where I have a hard time keeping up with it all. Indeed, the weeds sometimes get taller than the flowers they’re choking.

But I never let it stay that way. I can’t.

My house? Can be as dirty as it wants to be. But my gardens are my pride and joy. So, no matter how busy, stressed and overtired I am, I make sure to get my fix of  dirt time. If I don’t, my fingers get itchy.

That’s why I was outside at 8:30 a.m. last Sunday, pulling weeds and taking inventory. Tori crouched next to me, “helping” weed with her little Dora the Explorer shovel. Sure, she picked plants I wanted to keep and wouldn’t let me pull weeds she found pretty, but I didn’t mind.

We were playing in the dirt together, continuing a tradition that began with my mom and me. And I? Couldn’t have been happier if I tried.

Facebook Twitter Email

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Meagan June 15, 2011 at 11:46 am

Same here. My goal, though, is to have gardens that mostly take care of themselves with a little weeding from me. We’re not there yet, but getting closer.
Meagan recently posted..Best poster ever

Amber June 17, 2011 at 9:13 am

I think they’re looking great!

Allison @ Alli n Son June 15, 2011 at 9:08 pm

What a great tradition. If you need a bigger weeding fix, my gardens can always use some help. I don’t have te same passion or commitment to gardening, and it really shows.
Allison @ Alli n Son recently posted..The Things People Say

Amber June 17, 2011 at 9:13 am

Sometimes I think I should have gone into landscape design. But that would require too much actual work, so I’m prob’ly better off behind a keyboard. :)

Elisa June 17, 2011 at 5:56 am

I am unfortunately been cursed with a complete lack of green thumbs – not-a-one to be found. Plants go suicidal around me.
To make up for that, I married a man who not only has a green thumb, but actually enjoys playing in the dirt. Me, I get to pick which flowers he plants and enjoy them when they bloom.

Which kind of makes the curse sound like a blessing, since I know I don’t really love playing in the dirt myself (yes, in some respects I am truly a girl.)

The photo above is gorgeous! Was it actual;ly taken in your garden?
Elisa recently posted..Exploring Zurich- walking along the Schanzengraben

Amber June 17, 2011 at 9:09 am

Yep, those are my lilies. They’re fab because they’re very hard to kill. I just wish they would bloom all summer! BTW, I think you get the best end of that deal. :)

BalancingMama (Julie) June 18, 2011 at 8:36 pm

It is so hard to keep anything alive here with our heat and droughts. Well, strike that – weeds grow like crazy. Grass? Dies. Flowers? They burn up. But my weeds are green & hearty. I’m pretty darn good at weeds.
BalancingMama (Julie) recently posted..The Daddies in my life

Amber June 21, 2011 at 9:05 am

I am excellent at weeds too. This weekend I was literally digging up entire six-foot square patches of gardens to get at those too-damn-healthy weeds.