Wordful Wednesday: The Mother’s Day Portrait.

My family has never been good about taking photos. Looking back, you’ll see plenty of pictures of vacations, some of holidays…but not much else. It’s kind of too bad, really.

I, on the other hand, tend to take things to the other extreme (I’m a blogger, after all. I have to document everything). So when my parents came to visit for Mother’s Day weekend, I was determined to get plenty of Official Mother’s Day Portraits (despite my own mom’s rolling eyes).

I got quite a few good candid shots of my mom and Tori…

Grandma and Tori swinging

They spent a lot of time on the new swing set. I'm not sure who enjoyed it more – my mom, or Tori.

Grandma and Tori walking

And Tori showed Grandma all the sights (our backyard is more interesting when you're two).

Grandma and Tori

This was the closest I got to a posed shot of the wo of them.

But when it came time to get an Official Portrait of the three of us? Something always came up. Tori would need a diaper change, or a snack, or a nap, or just wouldn’t sit still. All. Day. Long.

Finally, it was 7 o’clock, and I was determined to get a picture of some kind. So I handed the camera to Brian and ordered my mom and Tori to line up. At first, Tori refused to cooperate.

family portrait fail

Sometimes, all you can do is laugh.

But finally, some semblance of success was achieved.

Family Portrait

The three generations. Together. Almost all smiling.

There are a million things wrong with this picture (someone should have told me that shirt makes me look preggers), but you know what? We may look tired and disheveled, but we’re all happy. And that’s what I want Tori to remember. Which makes this photo a roaring success.

Proudly linking up with Project Alicia and Alli n’ Son.

9 Comments on Wordful Wednesday: The Mother’s Day Portrait.

May 11, 2011 at 9:09 pm (5 years ago)

When did Tori get so gosh darn big? You haven’t been posting photos enough because it’s almost like she just grew up overnight and got so big! Wow. You and your mom and Tori look great in that last photo. It’s amazing and you look fine.

May 12, 2011 at 8:27 pm (5 years ago)

I know. I can’t believe how big she’s getting. She’s like a real kid all of a sudden. How did that happen?

2. Jenny
    May 11, 2011 at 9:26 pm (5 years ago)

I love the last one. I hate getting my picture taken, but always remind myself that it doesn’t matter what I look like, my kids still need photos of me. Blah.

May 12, 2011 at 8:26 pm (5 years ago)

That’s right. Your children think you’re gorgeous!

3. Erin
    May 12, 2011 at 8:40 am (5 years ago)

LOVE IT!! you all look so much alike – I’m so glad you honored your wishes to get a picuture!! I forgot to get any of me and the kids on mother’s day….OH WELL:)

May 12, 2011 at 8:26 pm (5 years ago)

Well, you know. You could take them on any old day really, and just pretend…

4. Sarah @ This Heavenly Life
    May 12, 2011 at 9:51 am (5 years ago)

Success indeed! That portrait is gorgeous — lighting and posing and all. I’m just impressed that you got somebody else to take the picture — I always forget that maybe I’d like to be part of the memories, too!

May 12, 2011 at 8:25 pm (5 years ago)

I was determined this time! Usually I do hide behind the camera…

5. Lady Jennie
    May 22, 2011 at 2:48 pm (5 years ago)

You guys look great. I usually run from cameras too, and hate when people tag me on facebook. But generation pictures are worth it.