The Secret Ingredient to Weight Loss.

Over the last two years, I’ve tried just about everything to lose weight. I’ve done the diet shake thing. Tried to survive on Special K for two weeks (epic fail). I’ve counted my points and watched my carbs. I even did Atkins for an unfortunate 36 hours.

But nothing worked.

I’d make it for five days, maybe even two or three weeks. I’d lose two or three pounds – sometimes even five. But then my will power would begin to fail. The brownies would sing their siren song. The hamburgers would call to me from their greasy wrappers. The couch would beckon with its comfy butt grooves.

And I’d fall back into my old patterns.

You know why? I didn’t really want to do it. I knew I should. I knew I’d look better and feel better. That I’d have more energy and more confidence in a bathing suit. But it didn’t really matter. I just wasn’t ready.

But you know what? That’s all changed now.

One day, I looked at myself in the mirror and said, “okay, Amber. It’s time to stop screwing around and do this thing.” Not because anyone told me I had to. Not because I have anything I need to look extraordinary for. Just because it’s time.

I’m ready to feel like myself again.

I’m ready to stop worrying whether I can fit into any of the clothes a store offers.

I’m ready to get thin. Or, at least, thinner.

I’ve discovered the missing ingredient to weight loss. And it’s not available in any store. Or on any counselor’s couch. It’s in your mindset, and when you’re ready? You’ll know.

At least, I did.

16 Comments on The Secret Ingredient to Weight Loss.

1. Meagan
    May 9, 2011 at 9:21 pm (5 years ago)

Absolutely. That’s so true. And dieting isn’t very effective- it’s about lifestyle changes. Because if you just diet you’re doomed to gain it back when you stop.

May 11, 2011 at 8:26 am (5 years ago)

That’s very true. Although I find a little dieting i necessary to get things going!

May 9, 2011 at 9:57 pm (5 years ago)

I totally want to drop about 20 pounds. For me? I’ll need a treadmill. Once I have one of those things I’ll walk my way thin. If only I could get a company to mail one to me and I could blog my journey and weight loss………….

May 11, 2011 at 8:26 am (5 years ago)

I am going to get myself a treadmill if it’s the last thing I do. Which, at this rate, it might be. But the desire is there!

3. MommyLisa
    May 10, 2011 at 11:04 am (5 years ago)

Ohh Rebecca. That would be awesome if we could get a company to send us a treadmill. 😉 If my step-daughter moves out to Winona in June…I may try to get myself a treadmill anyway.

May 11, 2011 at 8:25 am (5 years ago)

I think you should get yourself a treadmill. Craigslist is always a good place to look.

4. Caitlin {Pacifier In My Pocket}
    May 10, 2011 at 1:19 pm (5 years ago)

Oh my goodness, this is so true! I can’t even remember how many times I’ve “started” Weight Watchers. Or Atkins. Or calorie counting. Or whatever. Only to give up three days in.

This time around, I started back in January and it just clicked into place. It’s not easy, but I’m at least 100% invested in it. And it makes ALL the difference. 16 pounds in 17 weeks is slooooow, but way better than putting on 16 pounds or not losing anything that time.

Great job! Looking forward to meeting you at BlogHer!

May 11, 2011 at 8:25 am (5 years ago)

16 pounds in 17 weeks is awesome! Don’t sell yourself short. We can celebrate our thin selves at BlogHer!

5. Amanda C
    May 10, 2011 at 4:08 pm (5 years ago)

I know it’s hard, but you can do it, Amber! If you ever need a workout buddy, let me know. I’m always good on a walk. Or, if you’re not too uncomfortable, you could always stop by when it’s me and the kids and try our elliptical machine. It’s sitting gathering dust. Brian and I used to use it faithfully (him more than me), but his work schedule and my pregnancy and infant son sort of got in the way. I always felt better when I could work out in a gym, but it can be hard when life takes precedence.
    Good luck!

May 11, 2011 at 8:24 am (5 years ago)

Yeah, I’ve given up on the gym. There are just too many other things that need doing, you know? I have my eye on a used treadmill, and of course it’s running outside season, so we’ll see. Thanks for the pep talk!

6. BalancingMama (Julie)
    May 10, 2011 at 9:32 pm (5 years ago)

Go you! You can totally do it. Me? I am not there yet. Luckily, blessed with good genes and tend to stay within 5-8 pounds no matter how poorly I eat. But then again, am I really so lazy/hungry that I can’t keep 6 extra pounds away? Well… Yeah. Guess so. Sigh.

If I could lose 10 and keep it off, I would feel great! Hmmm.

May 11, 2011 at 8:23 am (5 years ago)

I’d trade motivation for your good genes any day! My genes? Would be happy being 200 pounds.

7. Tiff
    May 10, 2011 at 11:08 pm (5 years ago)

I wish you were here and we could do it together! I am so over nothing fitting. Good luck!

May 11, 2011 at 8:23 am (5 years ago)

We can be weight loss sisters in spirit. I was jut excited that my shorts from last year still fit (and that’s not saying much).

8. Andi
    May 10, 2011 at 11:29 pm (5 years ago)

I tried South Beach for a whopping two days as well. Worst two days of my life.

The only thing that got the baby weight off was a super-illness when Bjorn was 11 months old. Never thought I would be glad for being sick!

You can do it. Especially because you are now ready and you really want to. Go for it!!

May 11, 2011 at 8:22 am (5 years ago)

Thanks! So far I’m off to a good start…hopefully the motivation will stick this time.