Five Things I’m Doing Right.

Being a mom is hard. Being a working mom? Well, that’s even harder. I think (as I’ve never done it any other way, I really wouldn’t know). I constantly worry that the choices I’m making are going to have lasting consequences for my daughter.

I worry that she’ll have behavior problems as a middle schooler (studies have shown daycare kids often do).

I worry that she’ll struggle with obesity before she’s 10 (because, you know, that’s what processed foods do to you and I can’t control what she eats at daycare) ((Also, I’m often too tired to put anything but chicken nuggets in front of her)).

I worry that she’ll have abandonment issues, or feel unloved, or grow up to be a serial killer (doesn’t everyone worry about that last one?).

But, in honor of Mother’s Day, I’ve decided to give myself break. We’re two years in, and so far she seems to be a pretty delightful human being. So here, for your reading pleasure (and my future reminder) are five things I know I’m doing right (even if I don’t know how I’m doing it).

I’ve created a book lover. My Tori has a room full of toys.  But when left on her own, more often than not she’ll head for the bookcase and start “reading” to herself. Since I started reading to her when she was three weeks old, I take credit for that (but you may hold your applause until she makes her Valedictorian speech 16 years from now).

I’ve convinced her that vegetables are tasty. This kid loves vegetables. Carrots, broccoli, corn, beans – heck, she’ll even eat cauliflower. I’m pretending that’s because of the super duper healthy diet I ate when I was pregnant (just nod and smile).

I’ve taught her messy is cool. Our house is messy. It always has been and always will be. If she’s going to survive her, she needs to be messy too. And she is. When I put away her toys? She immediately dumps them on the floor (no I’m not really proud of this one. But it’s either laugh or cry. I choose to laugh).

I’ve taught her that socks don’t have to match. Mismatched socks have always been a statement of mine (mostly because I’m too lazy to pair them up). So it was important to me that she follow in my footsteps (so I don’t have to pair them up). And she has. When allowed to pick out her own socks, she almost inevitably reaches for two completely different colors. A lifetime of awesome style choices is sure to follow.

I’ve taught her to be a hugger. I have a thing about personal space. I always get awkward and stiff when someone gives me a hug (and don’t get me started on those cheek kisses). But somehow, I’ve managed to raise a kid without that issue. She’d hug the cashier at the grocery store if I let her.

So there you have it. Five little things I’m doing right…or at least, five things I can pretend to take credit for. This Mother’s Day, I’m giving myself the title of Awesome Mom. And you should too. Because you are – even if you don’t have kids yet.

13 Comments on Five Things I’m Doing Right.

May 7, 2011 at 3:03 pm (5 years ago)

I agree that working moms have it more difficult because you not only have to worry about your kid and home stuff, you probably worry about work. Applause to all the working moms out there. You are an inspiration.

Also, this line “…….. it’s either laugh or cry. I choose to laugh” This is something that is amazing to teach children. I’ve taught it to Joey and look how well he is doing, despite all he’s been through.

May 9, 2011 at 11:48 am (5 years ago)

Your Joey is an amazing little guy, and you are an Awesome Mom!

2. Jo Sniderman
    May 7, 2011 at 4:07 pm (5 years ago)

You are an awesome mom!!! Don’t worry about it so much!!!

3. Gail
    May 7, 2011 at 5:29 pm (5 years ago)

I love your list. And the sock thing is awesome. You ARE a great mom!

May 9, 2011 at 11:47 am (5 years ago)

I am particularly proud of the sock thing, I have to admit.

4. Amber
    May 9, 2011 at 12:33 am (5 years ago)

You are such an awesome Mom.

Happy Mother’s Day!

May 9, 2011 at 11:46 am (5 years ago)

As are you. Thank you for the good wishes!

5. Alexandra
    May 9, 2011 at 1:05 pm (5 years ago)

You know what? You should start a movement on twitter: think of it. Tweet one Mom thing you did right.

We need to do this: we goad ourselves in guilt All Too Much. And we don’t pat ourselves on the back enough for the good we do. And it’s a lot of good.

May 9, 2011 at 7:54 pm (5 years ago)

That’s an awesome idea, Alexandra! With your network these days, we might even be able to pull it off! Maybe we should pick a day and spread the word…what do you think? We could make the hashtag #AwesomeMom

6. melissa
    May 9, 2011 at 2:54 pm (5 years ago)

i have a feeling that your good outweighs ANY researchers alleged bad. :)

May 9, 2011 at 7:52 pm (5 years ago)

I like the way you think. And I think so too. But thank you!

7. Lady Jennie
    May 9, 2011 at 3:03 pm (5 years ago)

The cheek kisser totally cracked me up. You would DIE here. Total strangers! (Actually, that’s an exaggeration – they usually shake hands the first time).

Anyway. Your darling knows how important she is to you and that will always have more influence than anything she gets on the outside.

May 9, 2011 at 7:52 pm (5 years ago)

I know. Europe frightens me with all the kissing. I don’t even like to kiss family! Well, you know, except for my husband.