Eight Ways I Know I Have Sons.

Today, for your reading pleasure, we have a guest post from my friend Amanda (the OB’s wife). She doesn’t have a blog of her own (yet), but if we’re really nice to her, she might start one. So, without further ado, I give you…Amanda!

Recently, we had to find a new home for our cat. She was having a difficult time living in a house with two young children, and she expressed her anxiety all over my living room carpets. I mention this because, once she left, I became the one and only female in our little family. My husband and I were blessed with two charming, funny, adorable little boys. Our older son is now four years old, and our baby is seven months. While spending time with my mommy friends recently, I noticed some ways I differed from those who have only daughters. Since Amber falls into that category right now, I thought it would be fun to elaborate on some of our “mothering” differences.

1.As a child, I never considered myself a girly-girl. Lately, however, I’ve noticed a large amount of the color pink encroaching on my wardrobe. I chalk it up to the fact that as the “masculine” increasingly surrounds me , I try to get more in touch with my own feminine side.*

2.    While I’m on the subject of girly things, I suddenly have an obsession with dressing up, even when it isn’t Halloween. Boys like to dress up and play pretend, too. However, I think it’s kind of ironic and/or significant that of my closest friends, those of us who have only sons are the ones who are currently creating elaborate costumes to wear to a convention that won’t be taking place for another three months.

3.    I’ve learned to embrace the silliness of words like “fart”, “toot”, and “peanuts” (yes, my 4-year-old LOVES this word, probably because it sounds so much like a certain part of his anatomy).

4.    To circumcise or not to circumcise? That is the question.

5.    LEGO, “Star Wars”, or a combination of the two have become a part of my everyday vocabulary. For this geek girl, that couldn’t be more awesome, although it can be taken a bit too far. (LEGO “Star Wars” underwear, anyone?)*

6.    I never thought I’d ever say this, but I’m so excited to see the new “Thor” movie! It helps that my husband loves comic book superheroes as much as our older son. It also helps that Kenneth Branagh directed the film. (He’s one hot Iago.)

7.    It doesn’t matter if it’s a toy, a stick, or just a thumb and forefinger. Eventually, it’ll be transformed into a gun.

8.    Two words: baby wood.

I’m sure there are more ways than what I’ve listed here, but these are the ones that come to mind when I think about my boys. Really, though, at our very core, all of us mothers are the same. We love our children and want nothing but the best for their present and their future.

*  It concerns me that even in 2011, gender stereotyping is still a major issue, not just for our daughters, but for our sons, too. Why do we still connect pink with girls and blue with boys? Why are “construction toys” always marketed toward boys and dolls are advertised for girls? If my son wants to brush his teeth with a pink toothbrush or use the soap from the bottle covered in princesses, that doesn’t mean he’s gay. And, even if he discovers as an adult that he’s homosexual, I would support him no matter what. Our young children don’t need to be sexualized or stereotyped. They’re children. Stereotyping our children even at a young age is what leads to self-image issues and bullying. /rant

9 Comments on Eight Ways I Know I Have Sons.

1. Meagan
    May 23, 2011 at 6:44 pm (5 years ago)

I know what you mean about gender stereotyping. My boys have baby dolls and often pick the pink option (hot pink poof anyone?).

“Stinky underpants” is a popular phrase in our house. Farting is called “squeezing a duck”.

Oh, and baby wood was a cue to get a diaper on before someone peed. Yep, boys are different. I do have to say I’m glad I don’t have to deal with make-up and teen girl angst. :)

• Amanda C
      May 24, 2011 at 2:50 pm (5 years ago)

I love “squeezing a duck”! We’ll have to start using that one more often. We usually say “toot”, but lately, Vincent just wants to call it “farting”. I do have to smile, though, because his “R” sound is coming out more clearly. :)

And, I agree. I’m not sure if I could deal with teen girl angst, myself. However, there’s always the emo teen phase in boys…

May 23, 2011 at 7:28 pm (5 years ago)

What’s worse than ‘baby wood’…..when your toddler notices his wood and grabs it and says “Look mommy! It’s bigger!!!” *died when he said that*

And this little gem of yours “To circumcise or not to circumcise? That is the question”

I’m wishing NOW that I did NOT circumcise. Only because I watched video’s of the procedure (I watched at least twenty) and if I could do it over again, I would opt out of that procedure…..and believe that all pregnant mothers should watch the procedure before giving birth just so we all know what the procedure is like for the babies. I do believe that the mothers should STILL have that choice.

• Meagan
      May 23, 2011 at 7:40 pm (5 years ago)

We chose not to circumcise. I left the decision up to my husband but we just really couldn’t find enough of a reason to do it. We’re not Jewish and studies of health benefits just weren’t compelling enough. It seems it is mostly because ‘everyone does’ here.

Yeah, boys explore. It’s a trick of teaching them that their body’s aren’t bad, but some things ate private (at least in our house).

• Amanda C
        May 24, 2011 at 2:55 pm (5 years ago)

Rebecca–I remember my older son did the same thing with his “wood”. I about died, too. We’re trying to teach him the same thing as Meagan’s doing–that some things are private and should only be done in the bathroom or bedroom.

We decided to circumcise both of our sons, because my husband is circumcised. It is definitely a personal choice, and the APA still hasn’t ruled one way or another on the subject. I do think, though, that there are some mothers (and fathers) who are taking the issue way too seriously. It’s not right to try to force our own ideas on others, especially when the idea is so back and forth. (I guess this is true with most parenting issues.)

• Amanda C
          May 24, 2011 at 2:57 pm (5 years ago)

However, I do agree, Rebecca, that knowledge of how the procedure actually works would be helpful in making the decision to circumcise. I probably would have changed my mind, too, if I’d seen a video before giving birth.

3. MommyLisa
    May 24, 2011 at 10:52 am (5 years ago)

My friend left it up to her husband if the boys would be circumcised or not. She said that it made sense for them because HE was the one who could relate. He chose not to have his sons circumcised, even though he was.

• Amanda C
      May 24, 2011 at 3:01 pm (5 years ago)

That’s actually a very good idea. My husband did help make the decision with both of our boys. I think we chose to do it because not only was he circumcised, but so were all the other men in our families. We’re not Jewish, but it is something familiar to us. Also, I deferred to my husband because of his medical knowledge.

• Meagan
        May 24, 2011 at 3:24 pm (5 years ago)

I left it up to my husband too, but he decided against even though he’s circumcised. I think it’s interesting that a majority of Americans choose to while last I heard a majority of Europeans don’t. The world-wide rate is somewhere around 33%.