Sometimes My Blog Scares Me.

I am not an overly protective sort. For the most part, I brush off sensational news of children snatched from the front yard, or adults who go missing, only to be found in a shallow grave several months later.

I brush off concerns about the amount of personal info I share. And about the pictures I post.

After all, we are pretty unexciting suburbanites. We are not wealthy, or given to accumulating splashy things. We don’t live in a dangerous neighborhood. We don’t have jobs that put us in the public eye. We’re pretty normal in every way (at least on the surface).

In other words, there’s no reason on earth why anyone would seek us out. No reason for anyone to want to hurt us—or our daughter. None.

But every once in a while? Something gets under my skin and makes me nervous. Things like the season finale of Detroit 187.

Did you see it? If not, let me summarize it for you. A Very Bad Guy hunts down an innocent family and shoots them in cold blood. Every single one of them. But the image that stayed with me? Was of blood dripping from a cupboard where the baby girl had been shot to death where she hid.

Now, I know that it’s only television. And that things like that don’t happen—at least not very often.  And there’s no reason why a Very Bad Guy would ever target my family.

Nonetheless, it scared the shit out of me. For a few dark hours, I considered ripping down this entire blog and retiring from the blogging world for good.

I won’t—I’ve worked too hard to get this far (whatever “this” is).

But right now? I’m really wondering if I’m making the right choice for my family. Am I too open? Should I change my ways?

What line do you guys draw in the sand?

9 Comments on Sometimes My Blog Scares Me.

1. Andi
    April 18, 2011 at 9:11 pm (5 years ago)

Although I’m not overly protective at all, I tend to be that way on the internet. My facebook page is completely private – pictures, posts and all – to anyone that I don’t ‘friend’. I dont’ twitter or follow anyone on twitter. My blog uses only anonymous names and very few pictures.

Because I’m not scared of my neighborhood or my mall or my friends or my daycare. I’m not scared of Walmart or the local photo printing place or the gym. But I AM scared with the internet – I don’t understand it and the ways people can infiltrate your information and scam you. So. . . . I guess my line is the internet. Because we all have to have something!

2. Erin
    April 20, 2011 at 9:52 am (5 years ago)

I have always lived my life believing that there is a “plan.” Someone/thing greater than us driving the proverbial bus. I have always believed that there is evil in the world and if something terrible is “meant” to happen, then there is no worldly thing I can do to prevent it….

that being said…

my feelings have changed with each new life I’ve brought into the sick, twisted,muffed up world.

But I try to get back to my baseline. I try to believe that most poeple are inherantly good and are not out to hurt me. I try to believe that living a life of good karma will benefit me in the end. I try to believe in the “plan” however strange it may seem at times.

and I also don’t watch scary shows:)

Missed you!!! Glad I’m back in the world of BLOG:)

3. Gail
    April 20, 2011 at 1:34 pm (5 years ago)

Again, I totally could have written this post. I mean, not as well, but you know what I mean.
    Bad things just don’t happen to me. (knock on wood)
    Do you read thespohrsaremultiplying? And there was a pedophile in England who had Maddie’s pictures on his computer? And she had the exact same thoughts that you did. End it all.
    But she didn’t. Because she isn’t going to let the few bad apples ruin it for her (and us).
    There is a certain level of common sense we should apply, and I totally was going to use fake names and all that when I started my blog. But then I got lazy and didn’t. And now, I do Twitter. But my facebook page is private except to my friends.
    I guess there is about the same chance of a random serial killers murdering your entire family as there is of someone finding you on the internet and stalking you and killing you.
    At least that is what I tell myself:)

April 21, 2011 at 2:15 pm (5 years ago)

That’s what I’m going to tell myself too! It’s easier to sleep that way.

4. Megan (Best of Fates)
    April 20, 2011 at 2:43 pm (5 years ago)

Wait, was the family on TV targeted because of a blog? Because I tend to not even see the logic in assuming that you’ll be targeted because of the Internet – I mean, I’ve never heard of a single case of someone being murdered by Internet strangers that doesn’t include one of them approaching the other for kinky sex. And maybe I’m just ignorant, but you might be surprised at how many books about serial killers I’ve read.

Or you might just be creeped out, because that’s a creepy thing to say.

April 21, 2011 at 2:15 pm (5 years ago)

You’re right. Very very right. And I need to just get over myself. It’s just as likely that I’ll become a vampire victim, or bitten by a werewolf…at least according to the books I read.

5. Allison @ Alli 'n Son
    April 20, 2011 at 4:02 pm (5 years ago)

It’s hard to know when you’ve shared too much. When I first started blogging I used my son’s real name. Now I don’t. But I still share photos and the state that we live in. Otherwise, I try to keep the details hidden, at least the details where people can track us down by.

April 21, 2011 at 2:13 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve pretty much resigned myself to the fact that if somebody really wanted to find me, they could. But why?

6. Alexandra
    April 22, 2011 at 3:32 pm (5 years ago)

For a long, long time, I had no names on the blog.

And , now, I feel first names are OK.

I h ope I don’t regret it.