The Top Five Things My Mom Taught Me.

As a teenager,  I said a lot of despicable things to my mom. If she had a dollar for every time I rolled my eyes at her and thought, “mom, you don’t know what you’re talking about,” she’d be a rich woman.

But you know what? When I grew up and moved out, I realized she taught me a lot. A whole lot. And I wouldn’t be half the woman I am today without her. Here are five that I’m especially glad to have learned.

Animals are people too. There are two types of people in the world. Those who believe animals are disposable and those who know they’re part of the family. My mom taught me that by taking an animal into your home, you’re making a commitment. You’re promising that creature that you will care for them, and keep them even when it becomes inconvenient.

A trip to the mall isn’t always about shopping. Over the years, my mom and I have spent lots of time at the mall. Partly because we love to shop, but more because it gives us an excuse to be together. To have lunch alone. To have some real quality time. We’ve had some of our best conversations over a Maurice Salad at Hudson’s (or whatever it’s called now).

Digging in the dirt is good for your soul. To say my mom has a green thumb is a huge understatement. I spent many a summer’s afternoon helping her to pull weeds and water gardens. I’m sure I bitched and moaned about it, but now I know she was giving me a gift. The time I spend in my own gardens is cathartic. And watching something you’ve planted grow and thrive? Is a wonderful feeling.

Marriage is pretty great. My mom and dad have been married for 41 years. I’m sure they’ve had their hard times, but at the end of the day, they’re each other’s best friend. After all this time, they still kiss when my dad comes home. That’s pretty awesome, people.

Sometimes you have to suck it up and let the people you love do things you’d rather they didn’t. My dad has an entrepreneurial spirit. Always has and always will. So when he wanted to leave his stable 9 to 5 and go into business for himself? My mom supported him—even with two kids in college. Can you imagine how hard that was to do?

So yeah. My mom’s a pretty awesome lady. I’m lucky to have her. What are the best things you learned from your mom?

Mama’s Losin’ It

8 Comments on The Top Five Things My Mom Taught Me.

March 17, 2011 at 10:38 pm (5 years ago)

Perfect isn’t worth the work because it’s more fun to enjoy yourself along the way instead of having tunnel vision. I recently did a post on trying to get perfect attendance and how toward the end of the year I’d start bragging on myself but mom would eventually call me out of school to go shopping and eating at the mall or fun places like Olive Garden. She’d buy me outfits and then my perfect attendance would be no more.

March 18, 2011 at 8:43 am (5 years ago)

That sounds like way more fun than an attendance certificate. Your mom’s pretty cool!

2. Emily
    March 18, 2011 at 12:12 am (5 years ago)

I noticed a lot of people have chosen this prompt and have chosen their mother. You are all very lucky b/c I do not have this kind of relationship with my mother. She claims to love my brother, my son and I, but her actions speak louder than her words. I think almost two weeks went by once without her calling me, I wanted to see how long it would take. She lives 5 hours away w/her new husband. We are all out of sight, out of mind now.

March 18, 2011 at 8:42 am (5 years ago)

I’m sorry to hear that. My mom has a pretty awful relationship with her own mother, so I kinda understand. Absolutely sucks, though.

3. Frelle
    March 18, 2011 at 12:14 am (5 years ago)

all good things, thanks for writing about her! That last one, man, I know. hard lesson! glad i stopped by on the mamakat linkup!!

March 18, 2011 at 8:41 am (5 years ago)

Thanks! I didn’t quite make it to ten, so I figured I should come up with five big ones!

4. Leany M.
    March 25, 2011 at 2:54 pm (5 years ago)

I came across this interview on our local NBC site and the guy talks about a really good piece of advice his mom gave him. I think these days – for kids AND adults – cutting corners and doing things the easy way has become… well… easy, and we need to remember to teach our kids to discover things themselves like we did :) Here’s the quote and the interview btw (he also says his mom showed him how important family was.. gotta make sure we let our kids know that too!):

“People sometimes get too aggressive and cut corners and can be mean to other people and cheat and do all these weird things. She’s always kept me on the straight and narrow to do things right, even if it takes a little bit longer and it’s harder work.”

March 27, 2011 at 9:37 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks for the advice. I think you’re right!