Taking Fashion Cues From a Toddler.

The words “toddler” and “fashion” might seem, well, oxymoron-ish at first glance. After all, toddlers wear whatever they want. Polka dots with stripes, a yellow shirt with lime green and red striped leggings, even a tutu over jeans. It’s all fair game.

Tor wears her propeller hat

Tori's favorite fashion accessory.

But that’s the point. They wear what they like, because they like it, without worrying about what anybody else thinks. When was the last time you applied the same devil may care attitude to your wardrobe choices?

I know I tend to fall victim to the uniform mentality. At the office, everyone wears jeans—including me. Every day, regardless of weather.  In the winter, we wear sweaters. In the summer we wear Ts…under sweaters (it’s cold in the office).

And outside the office? Well, my budget is fairly limited, so I wear the same darn things. Besides, the people I hang out with tend to be card-carrying members of the Jeans Brigade, so  wearing anything else seems pointless.

But you know what? Lately, I’ve found myself taking more and more of an interest in fashion. I’ve been drooling over pretty dresses and stalking well-dressed bloggers like this one.

I want to dress like that.

Sure, sparkly  tights paired with an orange and pink striped skirt like this one might look odd to most of my small town neighbors. But those kinds of styles? Are what make me happy.

And when I’m happy with the way I look, I’m just, well,  happier. More confident. More me.

So I’m going to start taking my cues from my daughter. I’m going to step outside my comfort zone and embrace some more adventurous styles. I might even give leggings a go.

But if I ever leave the house wearing a tutu over my jeans? Feel free to tell me I’ve taken it too far.

12 Comments on Taking Fashion Cues From a Toddler.

March 10, 2011 at 6:08 pm (5 years ago)

I’d like to one day wear a tutu under leggings……because that would be fun.

March 14, 2011 at 8:45 am (5 years ago)

It would be fun – maybe we should make a National Tutu Day!

2. Amanda C
    March 11, 2011 at 10:59 am (5 years ago)

I’ve really been into fashion lately, probably because I’ve been itching to get back into sewing, and I’ve got a convention costume I’ve been working on in my head. I bought a Vogue magazine a few weeks ago, and now, I can’t stop looking at old back issues I’ve bought off of eBay. The September issues are huge! What’s great is that some of the photos of haute couture clothing or otherwise look like a toddler dressed the models! :) So really, you’ll be on trend for Spring…especially the mix & match of bright colors.

March 14, 2011 at 8:44 am (5 years ago)

Ha! I knew I was a trendsetter! I have a skirt cut out, but have yet to sew it. I really want to get back into sewing – especially since I love skirts. It’s so much less expensive to make your own than it is to buy them.

3. SaucyB
    March 11, 2011 at 4:27 pm (5 years ago)

That picture of Tori is too cute. I totally want to pinch those chubby cheeks!
    I love clothes and have a pretty varied wardrobe. But it’s funny, I’ve always found that I get the most compliments on what I’m wearing when it’s something that’s just a little bit beyond my comfort zone and a little outside of the style that I would typically wear. go figure!

SaucyB recently posted…The Party’s Over – I’m Going Back to Work

March 14, 2011 at 8:43 am (5 years ago)

I think people notice when you try something different – no matter how fashionable you generally are. It’s a good thing!

4. Momma D and Da Boyz
    March 12, 2011 at 5:04 pm (5 years ago)

Love your site and your writing! Happy to have written an Alexa review for you, would love if you were able to do the same. Found you through the Mom Spark Media hop.

March 14, 2011 at 8:41 am (5 years ago)

I will definitely do that. Thanks!

5. BalancingMama
    March 13, 2011 at 10:34 am (5 years ago)

Good thought! I tried some of those long lightweight sweaters recently – love them! More trendy than my usual t-shirts & jeans. I need to add more color, especially in work clothes.

And what a neat blog you pointed us to! I’ll go back and visit her.

Happy weekend!
    -Julie

March 14, 2011 at 8:40 am (5 years ago)

I haven’t tried those yet. I’m afraid shorty me will look ridiculous…but I guess I’m supposed to stop being scared of things, right?

6. Stephanie
    March 15, 2011 at 10:30 am (5 years ago)

I also work in a jean wonderland. Last March I committed to not wear pants to work until the Winter. I love skirts and dresses and have an array in my closet that are not featured enough. I felt stylish and well assembled even though I was more comfortable and it took no additional time. I plan to do it again this year once it warms up.

March 16, 2011 at 9:04 am (5 years ago)

I think that’s a fantastic idea. I’m actually dressed nice and coordinated today…and I’ve already gotten three compliments. But dude? This skirt is elastic. Nice.