Is The Perfect Potty Out There?

by Amber on March 1, 2011

A few months ago, I got just about the best news a diaper bag-toting mom can get. My daughter, her teacher told me, was showing an interest in potty training!

So I did what any overly enthusiastic first time mom would do. I ran right out to Target and got my  precocious 18-month-old daughter her very own potty chair.

Fisher Price Cheer For Me Potty

Cute as a potty can be.

And not just any old potty chair. Nope, the one I got looked just like a regular toilet! And had a place for toilet paper! And sang every time the potty-er actually did what they were supposed to (i.e. pee in the potty)! I thought it was adorable.

Tori did too. When I got it out of the package, her face lit up, and she couldn’t wait to  try it. In fact, for several days, she would take me by the hand every chance she got and lead me to the bathroom where her potty was so she could practice sitting on it.

Everything was going swimmingly—until the day she actually peed on the potty.

When the first drops hit, it started to sing. And when it did? She didn’t know what to think. First she looked afraid, then confused, until finally curiosity won out.  She immediately got up and peered at the potty chair beneath her. Then she bent down and stuck her hand in it—quickly locating the little sensor. And sure enough, that happy song blurted out again (this time, over the sounds of my horrified, “Tori, no! No putting your hands in your pee pee!”).

I hoped she would soon forget what she had learned, but alas, she had discovered the potty’s secret and never wanted to pee on it again. Instead, she liked to climb in, over and on it, seeing how many different ways she could set off the sensor.

Next, she decided she wanted to pee on the Big Person’s Toilet. And after it became clear that she was either going to sit on the Big Potty or fall in trying, I ordered her a training seat and her very own step stool. Make that a series of step stools.

The first was too low, and almost resulted in Tori getting her very first swirly.

The second was too high, and very nearly ended up with Tori splitting her head open on the corner of the sink.

The third almost worked…but my still klutzy toddler still had to struggle to position herself on the toilet.

Clearly, we need a better option—especially since she’s now getting to the age when real potty training progress might actually be made.

Baby Bjorn Potty Chair

Our potty training savior?

This past weekend, I did my research.  I checked reviews on Amazon. Googled “best potty chair.” Read articles like this one on Slate about the search for the best potty. And they all seem to agree—the Baby Bjorn potty chair is the way to go.

So I ordered one. In yellow, of course, since that’s both her favorite color and her favorite word (other than owl). It’s scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

Will it finally get us started on the road to potty training success? Hard to say.

But at least I won’t have to hear it’s overly cheerful voice singing about toilet paper in the middle of the night (The Fisher Price one sings for no apparent reason. Often at 2 a.m.).

Wish us luck. Oh, and if you have any potty training advice? I’m all ears.

Facebook Twitter Email

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

Rebecca March 1, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I’ve given up. He’ll be married and wearing diapers.
Rebecca recently posted..It Was A Scream

Amber March 2, 2011 at 8:57 am

Keep the faith, mama, keep the faith. He’ll probably do it by high school.

Jen March 1, 2011 at 8:36 pm

We have this chair and its fabulous. It works well to take in the car for times when training and the little one has to pee and there is no bathroom in site.

My best advice is get rid of the diapers all together and only use pull ups aka ‘night time underwear’ in our house, at bedtime. Using pull ups for training just confuses a kid. Make a big deal about taking her out to pick out some underwear and then have her wear them. She will probably have to have a few accidents so that she gets the ‘feel’ of what its like to pee.

Also, get the book Potty Training 1-2-3 by Ezzo. Its a fabulous method that will have your kid trained in 24-28 hours. I kid you not it worked with all 4 of my kids.

Amber March 2, 2011 at 8:56 am

I will definitely try to find it. Fast potty training would be awesome!

Andi March 1, 2011 at 9:47 pm

its only right that since I call him Bjorn, I should get him the Baby Bjorn. Ordered it tonight after I read your blog and then subsequent reviews. You should get a percentage of sales. :)

Amber March 2, 2011 at 8:54 am

I should, shouldn’t I? However, I don’t think the Bjorn people would agree. Here to potty training…should we clink potty chairs?

SaucyB March 2, 2011 at 7:36 am

good luck – hope the new chair does the trick. E was 3 when we did potty training so we just used one of those step ladders that has a seat attached and gets placed over the toilet.
I wish i could offer some advice, but in total honesty the daycare did most of the heavy lifting in this area since he was there 5 days a week for 8 hours.
basically, when he turned 3 i could just tell he was ready to say goodbye to diapers so one weekend i just put him in underwear and about every half hour took him to the bathroom. there were a lot of accidents that first weekend, but by the time he went to school on monday he was pretty much trained.

SaucyB recently posted… An Abuse of Power

Amber March 2, 2011 at 8:53 am

Yeah, the daycare is doing most of the work…but I figured I need to reinforce it at home or we’ll never get anywhere! Thanks for the good wishes.

Missy @ Wonder, Friend March 2, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Well… I’m lazy and did not want to empty/clean a little kid potty. We just got the Bjorn seat that fits on the big toilet and have liked it. Apparently it’s dishwasher safe, too, although I would never run it in there unless it was the only thing in my dishwasher. Gag. And then I’d have to re-run the dishwasher to disinfect it.

Cleaning aside, it’s a good seat. Good luck with the training!
Missy @ Wonder, Friend recently posted..Just Let the Zombies Have It

Amber March 2, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Good luck. I gave up with my daughter and she eventually figured it out on her own.
Amber recently posted..My Dear Letters

BalancingMama (Julie) March 2, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Yay for those first potty moments! Boo for your little smarty-pants figuring out the sensor right away. We have a ducky potty that sings, but Amelia hasn’t stuck her hands in her pee yet.

Hang tough with the training. We’ve been on & off for many months. Amelia is in only big girl undies now, but still holds on to her poo-poo like it’s gold. Some days she stays dry for 12 solid hours, other days (like today) she wets her pants 4 or 5 times. I’m finally being consistent, but she isn’t! I figure she’ll get it eventually. Good luck!
BalancingMama (Julie) recently posted..Happiness is

(Florida) Girl with a New Life March 3, 2011 at 11:44 am

Too funny. The singing sensor sounded like a good idea to me too until I got to the end of your story. Live and learn.
(Florida) Girl with a New Life recently posted..Tell Me The Truth- Girl Fight

Amber March 7, 2011 at 10:16 am

It was a brilliant idea -my girl’s just to smart for her own good. But yeah, songs at 2 a.m.? Not so brilliant.