A Pledge Every Mom Should Take.

When I left high school, it was with the hope that I had left the Mean Girls behind me forever. I had had enough of their withering stares and cutting comments. I was tired of feeling less than and looked down upon. I certainly didn’t want to spend the rest of my life guarding my back from the claws of the women around me.

But those Mean Girls? They’re alive and well and causing trouble—both across the blogosphere and in real life. Especially among moms.

The conflicts are many. Working moms vs. stay at home moms. Breastfeeding moms vs. formula feeding moms. Vaccinating moms vs. non-vaccinating moms. Public school-supporting moms vs. home schooling moms. Whatever the parenting issue, there are bound to be ardent supporters on either side of it—and Mean Moms trying to bully their opponents into their way of thinking.

Well, I don’t know about you, but I’ve had just about enough of all that back biting and name calling and stone throwing.

I’m a full-time working mommy who formula-fed, vaccinates regularly and intends to send my child to public school. I have been known to let her cry it out. I found babywearing too hot to make a constant practice. I let her eat cake and non-organic french fries—and when she gets old enough, I’m sure we’ll eat our share of Happy Meals.

But that doesn’t mean that I think everyone should do it my way.

If you want to breastfeed your child till he’s five, feed him only chicken you’ve killed and butchered yourself and home school him until college, more power to you.

If you believe vaccines cause autism, well, I have no choice but to disagree with you, but I respect your point of view (and your decision not to vaccinate).

I don’t care if you stay at home or work five jobs. It’s none of my business whether you’re a Muslim, Catholic, or heck, even a Scientologist.

You’re a Mom. I’m a Mom. And on some level, we share all the same frustrations, joys and problems.

I’m always willing to lend a listening ear and a shoulder to cry on—as long as you’re willing to do the same.

I support you, and all the moms like you, all over the world.

That’s why I took The Mom Pledge. And you should too.

BWS tips button
Together, we can make the blogosphere I nicer, friendlier, more supportive place.

19 Comments on A Pledge Every Mom Should Take.

1. Jill
    March 7, 2011 at 10:08 pm (5 years ago)

awesome post!! I pledged, too :)

March 8, 2011 at 8:43 am (5 years ago)

Hooray!

2. Elizabeth Flora Ross
    March 7, 2011 at 10:27 pm (5 years ago)

Wow! I could not have said it any better myself. This post is fabulous! I’m so glad we’ve connected via The Mom Pledge! Thank you for your support. Please be sure to add your button to the community page: http://ow.ly/49Ni1

March 8, 2011 at 8:43 am (5 years ago)

Glad you like it! I’ll definitely do that today.

3. Jen
    March 8, 2011 at 6:49 am (5 years ago)

Although we are different, I couldn’t agree more!! It is hard enough being a mom as it is, we don’t need all of the snarkiness to boot! Cheers!!

March 8, 2011 at 8:42 am (5 years ago)

Too true. Too true. If I want snark, I’ll call my grandma. 😉

4. Jen
    March 8, 2011 at 7:54 am (5 years ago)

Amen! Support is where its at.

5. Lady Jennie
    March 8, 2011 at 8:26 am (5 years ago)

Agreed. I do think that the older your kids get (my kids get) the less judgmental. You just can’t always have the answers.

March 8, 2011 at 8:40 am (5 years ago)

Well that’s good! I admit, I haven’t personally run into it *too* much, but it can be really hurtful.

6. Lucy
    March 8, 2011 at 8:46 am (5 years ago)

I agree with everything except for the people who don’t vaccinate their kids. They are not just potentially harming themselves, but others as well. They could be spreading disease to the young who haven’t had all the immunizations just yet, the elderly or even someone who is already sick. It’s selfish.

March 9, 2011 at 11:43 am (5 years ago)

You have a good point. It’s a conundrum for sure.

• Amanda C
      March 11, 2011 at 11:26 pm (5 years ago)

Lucy, I agree with you. I can get pretty passionate about my views on why everyone should vaccinate their children. I still feel awful every time my little guys get shots, because they’re painful and can make them feverish and uncomfortable later. However, I’d rather them have a little fever now instead of a potentially deadly disease later.

March 14, 2011 at 8:43 am (5 years ago)

Amen. I have to admit I really don’t understand why people don’t do it. Especially since the autism link has been discredited a 100 times over.

March 8, 2011 at 11:25 am (5 years ago)

Yes, I thought leaving high school and most of my peers behind……..the mean spirited girls and bullies would have gone away, but there are bullies all over the place and they follow you no matter where you go. They just have different names and went to different schools.

Also, I’m a firm believer in telling your story. Sharing what worked for you and what didn’t along with the why’s so that others can learn from you. I fully believe that what worked for you may or may not work for me but I have no business dissing your way until I’ve tried it and if it didn’t work for me……then I need to share my thoughts of WHY it didn’t work for me so that the next mom that comes along can use that to help make her decisions……

March 9, 2011 at 11:43 am (5 years ago)

Oh, the whys are so helpful! As long as it’s not straight out dissing, I’m all for that!

8. SaucyB
    March 8, 2011 at 3:25 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again, some moms can’t feel like they’re getting it right unless it means someone else is getting is wrong. And that’s a shame.

SaucyB recently posted… You Score a Goal in Football, Right?

9. Nina B
    March 12, 2011 at 11:46 pm (5 years ago)

LOVED this Amber! So well said!

March 14, 2011 at 8:41 am (5 years ago)

Thank you! I think the Pledge is a great idea!