This. Is. Bullshit.

Readers, I don’t know if you’ve heard, but earlier today, the House of Representatives passed an interim budget proposal designed to keep the government going until the fiscal year ends.

That sounds good, right? I mean after all, we need the feds to have the cash they need to keep our country moving.

Well, it’s not. This “proposal” is less a budget and more an excuse to shut down (or at least severely curtail) just about every program its Republican creators dislike.

Among the most outrageous are the complete defunding of Planned Parenthood and NPR.  Planned Parenthood at least makes sense, from a Republican perspective. I mean, after all, they offer (gasp) abortions. Never mind that 90 percent of their work involves offering  breast cancer screenings, PAP smears, birth control education and other preventive care services to those who might not otherwise be able to afford them.

The scarlet A all their providers wear as a result of offering abortions to those who see no other option dooms them to extinction.

But NPR? That’s just stupid—no matter what your political philosophy. They’re one of the last media outlets anywhere to offer truly unbiased information. Forget the Internet. When I want to know what’s really going on, I listen to NPR.

And I don’t know about you, but I don’t see how programming like A Prairie Home Companion, This American Life and Fresh Air are damaging to the American psyche.

But that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Also at risk are:

• The Environmental Protection Agency’s ability to impose regulations of gas emissions that cause global warming
  • The FCC’s ability ability to enforce  Net Neutrality
  • The Pell Grant program, which helps lower-income college students afford to go to school
  • The WIC program, which provides women with children under five with food aid
  • And, of course, the Obama Healthcare Reform Laws

There’s lots more, all of it equally ridiculous.

Fortunately, this proposal goes to the Senate next—which is still controlled by Democrats. So chances are, it won’t see the light of day (at least in it’s current form). But that’s not the point.

The point is, these “lawmakers” are so caught up in their dogma that they can’t see past their noses. They don’t honestly appear to give a crap what matters to you and me. Their agenda seems pointed at revenge, not smart governing.

And that? Is plain old bullshit, no matter how you look at it.

14 Comments on This. Is. Bullshit.

1. Nolie
    February 19, 2011 at 11:45 pm (5 years ago)

So stupid. Though at least they are looking ahead. Pretty soon Canadians get to start paying to visit your country. That should help out somewhat with the amount of travel between the 2 countries.

February 20, 2011 at 12:22 pm (5 years ago)

If this keeps up, I’m moving to Canada. Even though it’s stinking cold up there.

2. Momma Cupcake
    February 19, 2011 at 11:48 pm (5 years ago)

oh yeah and they are also putting less money into Social Security but keeping more taxes for the government. it was super super sneaky too.

February 20, 2011 at 12:21 pm (5 years ago)

Yeah, I read that too. The whole thing is just completely ridiculous.

3. andrea k
    February 20, 2011 at 2:35 am (5 years ago)

The goal is to control thinking, access to information and access to funding because he who controls the purse strings controls the world. This has been a long time coming. The one thing the corporations and rich seem to forget is once they get rid of the middle class that subsidize them, who will pay their way? And the middle class who let it happen will have willingly walked away from their ability to be heard. Anyone who doesn’t get this agenda is part of a bigger bill – because this is 2011 – is just isn’t able to see the bigger picture. When you have people in Egypt protesting in support of those in WI, something is up.
    The question is, will it be too late by the time the masses figure it out?

February 20, 2011 at 12:21 pm (5 years ago)

I’d like to think not, but who knows. There’s some crazy distortion out there. I reserve the right to move to Canada if all else fails…

4. Meagan
    February 20, 2011 at 8:06 am (5 years ago)

There have been articles and blog posts lately (well,actually, for a while) about how Republicans hate women and the not rich. Basically that all seems true geometry they want to cut. I have so much more today I should do a blog post of my own.

February 20, 2011 at 12:19 pm (5 years ago)

The thing is, I don’t believe the people currently in power even reflect the views of the average republican. I know plenty of people who lean that way who are just as outraged. They’re just completely out of touch.

5. Erin
    February 20, 2011 at 8:19 am (5 years ago)

Couldn’t agree with you more!!! Now…what can we do about it???? That is the ultimately frustrating part…feeling so completely powerless.

February 20, 2011 at 12:19 pm (5 years ago)

Planned Parenthood and the Free Press (http://www.freepress.net/) both have petitions going – as well as a form you can fill out to send a letter to your representative. Other than that? Vote next year.

6. Janet
    February 20, 2011 at 10:50 am (5 years ago)

Yes, this is awful. PBS is on the cut list also. I only hope the Senate doesn’t pass it also.

February 20, 2011 at 12:17 pm (5 years ago)

I can’t imagine that they will – the democrats still have control. But I’m sure getting to some sort of compromise is going to be painful.

7. MommyLisa
    February 21, 2011 at 12:49 pm (5 years ago)

As a sustaining member of Minnesota Public Radio I TOTALLY agree with you on this post.

Basically Republicans are saying – No abortions, and NO feeding those little babies you squeeze out either. BLAH – they are SOOOOOOOOOOO short-sighted.

8. liz
    February 21, 2011 at 5:17 pm (5 years ago)

I don’t think I’m ever anything BUT aggravated when I hear about what the gov’t plans to do!