Things To Remember: Part Five.

Next month, my baby girl is going to turn two. And while one was certainly a big deal, two seems equally important. She’s rapidly losing her babyish ways, becoming more of a Kid every day. So before I blink and find that she’s twelve, I thought I’d take a moment to document the little things that are bound to get lost in the mists of memory before too long.

Things like…

Her passion for all things owl. My baby is obsessed with owls. Owl books, owl videos, owl pictures. Her favorite shirt has an owl on it, and if she had her way she’d wear it every day. Drama-filled temper tantrums have been known to occur if her shirt is too dirty to wear yet again (I do a lot of Tori laundry…)

Her insistence on dressing herself. Badly. The other day she went to school wearing yellow polka dot pants, a pink polka dot skirt, and, of course, the aforementioned owl shirt. She often looks like an adorable little clown—but heaven help the person who tries to force her to wear matching clothes.

Her love of cookies. I’m not sure what came first—her infatuation with cookie monster or her infatuation with cookies. But one thing is certain—if you need to get Tori to do something, just offer her a cookie. And, by the way, is there anything cuter than hearing a toddler say “cookie?” I don’t think so.

Her sticker madness. When we’re not watching Sesame Street or coloring owls, chances are we’re playing with stickers. By which I mean I’m peeling them off the sheet and she’s sticking them in random patterns on whatever surface is handiest.

Her snuggly cuteness. Most of the time, she’s far too busy exploring to want to be held by mommy anymore. But there are those moments at the beginning and end of the day when she allows me to pick up her warm, pajama-clad body and gather her in tight. Then she burrows in against my neck, fists her hand in my hair and collapses. Those moments? Make it all worthwhile.

There’s more—a Part Six might soon be forthcoming—but that last paragraph made me want to go snuggle my baby while I still can. So instead, tell me what you remember most about your little ones’ baby years.

9 Comments on Things To Remember: Part Five.

1. sara@domesticallychallenged
    February 28, 2011 at 8:58 pm (5 years ago)

Although this age can be tiring at times because of the instance on independence, it is a fun, fun age, isn’t it? Enjoy these fun days!

March 1, 2011 at 8:45 am (5 years ago)

Trying to! I get frustrated all to often but I’m working on it…

2. rebecca
    February 28, 2011 at 9:56 pm (5 years ago)

How Isabella would cross her arms and say “I own unt” which translates to “I don’t want”. She never told me no…….just I don’t want (to) which seemed so much less offensive. I thought it was way too cute to be frustrated with those days.

My little Joey……..buh-buh is what he called his big sister for the longest time.

March 1, 2011 at 8:45 am (5 years ago)

I don’t want is far less offensive than “no.” Tori’s favorite word is simply “mine.” Everything, and I do mean everything, is hers.

3. Missy @ Wonder, Friend
    February 28, 2011 at 11:49 pm (5 years ago)

My baby is almost two, as well. *sniffles*

With both of my little guys, I find myself trying to memorize how it feels to hold them, how they smell, how their voices sound… I’m afraid I will forget it all. There’s nothing like those sweet, baby hugs.

I think I’m going to take a cue from you and write it all down before I forget!

March 1, 2011 at 8:43 am (5 years ago)

Yeah, every once in a while I have to ignore that this is a “public” blog and write things just for me. It’s important, I think.

4. Amber
    March 1, 2011 at 12:07 am (5 years ago)

I also love cookies.

My daughter likes to dress herself, too. But lately, she prefers to just walk around the house in her underwear.

March 1, 2011 at 8:42 am (5 years ago)

Ahhh. Underwear is preferable to diaper-less babies, though. My daughter likes to pee on the floor. Good times.

5. Meagan
    March 1, 2011 at 3:06 pm (5 years ago)

Wil is still obsessed with giraffes at 4. And both boys like to run around naked. Funny how they learn to express themselves.