Seeing Myself in a Different Way.

Everywhere we go, people tell me how much my daughter looks like me.

“Wow. She’s a dead ringer for you,” I hear at every family get together.

“Man. You’ve got a Mini Me there, don’t you?” I get asked when introducing her to someone for the first time.

“It sure is obvious who her mommy is,” I’m told when dropping her off with someone new at daycare.

And it’s true. She does look a lot like me. Put a picture of me as a toddler next to a picture of her and the similarities are almost creepy.

But it’s hard for me to accept.

It’s no secret on this blog that I have some self esteem issues (to put it mildly). Somewhere in my teenage years I convinced myself I was ugly, and I’ve never quite been able to shake that perception of myself.

But my daughter? Is Cuteness personified. She’s got blue, blue eyes (like mine). A bow-shaped mouth (like mine). Round cheeks (like mine) and a wicked, face-splitting smile (all her own).

She’s short, like me, and runs giggling through the world on the same wide feet that are planted at the ends of my legs.

But while I’ve always despaired of that combination of features in myself, on her they look perfect. She’s perfect. And I want, more than anything, for her to believe that—through all the days of her life.

Which means, of course, that I have to let go of the adolescent insecurities that haunt me and accept that I, like my daughter, am pretty cute.

Tori Thought BubbleAmber thought bubble

Tori and I? We have gorgeous blue eyes.

We’re the proud owners of mouths made for laughing.

We stride through the world on powerful legs, and splash through mud puddles on feet made for stomping.

We are beautiful in every single way,  just like that Christina Aguilera song says. And I? Wouldn’t have it any other way.

16 Comments on Seeing Myself in a Different Way.

1. Cluttered Brain
    February 21, 2011 at 10:26 pm (5 years ago)

Yup, she’s a cutie…
    and heck so are you….cutie…lol.
    Ok you are a hot mama….

February 24, 2011 at 8:49 am (5 years ago)

Trying to. That I am.

2. BalancingMama (Julie)
    February 21, 2011 at 10:33 pm (5 years ago)

What a good reminder for all of the self-conscious ones out there with mini-mes! Our kiddos learn from us, so we’d better show our confidence.

You are both super cute. :-)

February 24, 2011 at 8:47 am (5 years ago)

Yep. Monkey see, monkey do. At least that’s the way it seems to go in our house right now.

3. Gail
    February 22, 2011 at 10:10 am (5 years ago)

I could have written this post. I just recently have started telling my oldest daughter, who is just 2, how cute and beautiful she is. And judging by her reaction when she looks in the mirror, she has no self-esteem issues. And I hope it stays that way forever.

February 24, 2011 at 8:45 am (5 years ago)

You should have seen my daughter peering at her butterfly barrettes in the mirror yesterday. She sure did like what she saw!

4. Amber Davis
    February 22, 2011 at 10:16 am (5 years ago)

You’re both gorgeous ladies! I love your new haircut, by the way. The cut and color are perfection :)

February 24, 2011 at 8:45 am (5 years ago)

Thanks. It’s sooooooo much easier to do in the morning. I wonder why I didn’t do this a long time ago?

February 22, 2011 at 10:45 am (5 years ago)

Neither of my kids look like me. My son…oddly enough (Creepy!) looks like my brother when he was that age. My daughter? Looks a bit more like her paternal grandmother than either Kevin or myself.

You and Tori? Are both beautiful.

February 24, 2011 at 8:44 am (5 years ago)

She has expressions that are all her daddy, though. It’s so cute to see them on her mini face.

6. Amanda C
    February 22, 2011 at 4:39 pm (5 years ago)

Oh, hon, I think you’re both beautiful! I totally understand those feelings of insecurity. It took me a long time to get over my own, and I still have a lot of days where I feel like the gawky little girl I used to be.
    Oddly enough, it makes me feel kind of proud to hear my baby boy looks a lot like me–probably because I’ve been told his older brother looks a lot like his daddy. :)

February 24, 2011 at 8:44 am (5 years ago)

Your baby boy does look like you! I’m sure I’ll leave my insecurity behind…by the time I’m 50?

7. Alexandra
    February 22, 2011 at 11:49 pm (5 years ago)

Your daughter does LOOK JUST LIKE YOU.

What a blessing to have in this lifetime, a living reflection of you.

How beautiful.

February 24, 2011 at 8:43 am (5 years ago)

well, thank you! although I’m sure, as she gets older, she’ll find ways to look as un-like me as possible. 😉

8. Unknown Mami
    February 23, 2011 at 1:31 pm (5 years ago)

I so get this.

You are both beautiful.

When I am told that my eldest daughter looks like me I smile because she is beautiful and it makes me learn to appreciate myself. Before I would have dismissed certain compliments, but now I take them to heart. Someone told me I have beautiful hair and I believed then because it’s just like my daughter’s and her hair is BEAUTIFUL.

I hope our daughters never have to wait until they have children to appreciate their own beauty.