Internet, I am not big on making New Year’s Resolutions. As far as I’m concerned, making a goal a “resolution” is just a sneaky way of giving yourself an excuse to fail.
However, after having some long talks with myself, I’ve decided that I do indeed need to get to work on a few things. Not because it’s the New Year, but because, quite frankly, I feel like shit (excuse my french).
As you’ve no doubt heard me whine, I’ve been sick since what feels like the beginning of time. Plus, I’m still a good 20 pounds heavier than I’d like to be (despite losing 20 in 2010) and it’s been so long since I moved my body I’m in danger of turning into a slug (although even slugs have more energy than I do right now).
I need to do some work professionally, too, but we’ll save that discussion for another post. I need to deal with this health crap first. So, here’s what I’m going to do:
- Get back to basics. There is too much processed food in my life. That has to end. I feel best when I’m eating lots of salads, yogurt and nuts, so that’s what I’m going to do (more on that later).
- Count those points. Although I’ve fallen off the Weight Watchers wagon and into the 50-foot deep ravine beside the road it’s traveling on, I’m a point-counting veteran. And you know what? It works—if you work it. So I’m going to try. Again.
- Move that butt. I feel better when I exercise. Happier. Less stressed. More powerful. So I need to get back into the habit. That means plugging in to good ol’ Leslie Sansone again—and getting my mitts on a treadmill. Soon.
- Take those vitamins. I don’t know if vitamins actually work, or if it’s all in my head, but I do tend to get sick less when I pop them regularly. So I will.
- Stay positive, damn it. I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but attitude really is everything. So I’m going to do my best to stay out of the woe-is-me sea of crap and on dry land. Wish me luck.
That’s it. Five simple steps that I’m hoping will propel me toward better health, better times, and maybe, just maybe, a better body. What are you doing to make 2011 a better year for you?