Don’t Call Them Resolutions.

by Amber on January 2, 2011

Internet, I am not big on making New Year’s Resolutions. As far as I’m concerned, making a goal a “resolution” is just a sneaky way of giving yourself an excuse to fail.

However, after having some long talks with myself, I’ve decided that I do indeed need to get to work on a few things. Not because it’s the New Year, but because, quite frankly, I feel like shit (excuse my french).

As you’ve no doubt heard me whine, I’ve been sick since what feels like the beginning of time. Plus, I’m still a good 20 pounds heavier than I’d like to be (despite losing 20 in 2010) and it’s been so long since I moved my body I’m in danger of turning into a slug (although even slugs have more energy than I do right now).

I need to do some work professionally, too, but we’ll save that discussion for another post. I need to deal with this health crap first. So, here’s what I’m going to do:

1. Get back to basics. There is too much processed food in my life. That has to end. I feel best when I’m eating lots of salads, yogurt and nuts, so that’s what I’m going to do (more on that later).
  2. Count those points. Although I’ve fallen off the Weight Watchers wagon and into the 50-foot deep ravine beside the road it’s traveling on, I’m a point-counting veteran. And you know what? It works—if you work it. So I’m going to try. Again.
  3. Move that butt. I feel better when I exercise. Happier. Less stressed. More powerful. So I need to get back into the habit. That means plugging in to good ol’ Leslie Sansone again—and getting my mitts on a treadmill. Soon.
  4. Take those vitamins. I don’t know if vitamins actually work, or if it’s all in my head, but I do tend to get sick less when I pop them regularly. So I will.
  5. Stay positive, damn it. I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but attitude really is everything. So I’m going to do my best to stay out of the woe-is-me sea of crap and on dry land. Wish me luck.

That’s it. Five simple steps that I’m hoping will propel me toward better health, better times, and maybe, just maybe, a better body. What are you doing to make 2011 a better year for you?

Facebook Twitter Email

{ 27 comments… read them below or add one }

Wendy January 2, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I’m starting the C25K again. I did D1W1 yesterday and it was hard! No exercise for 3 months = stupid.

Amber January 3, 2011 at 9:07 am

Put me in the stupid corner. As soon as I put this last bit of bronchitis to bed, I’ll be starting over too. Blech.

Rebecca January 2, 2011 at 3:12 pm

The bit about the vitamins? I am pretty sure they do work, not in the short term but in the long term. The ‘big’ picture. I say this because I’ve been taking a children’s chewable (I can get you a link if you want one, just a brand I buy at the store). Just ONE children’s chewable (which it recommends 2 for anyone over 3 years old). Anyway, I recently had a complete blood count done and my calcium levels were perfect, along with my cholesterol and everything else. I think it’s the vitamins. I’ve been taking them for about 3 years now.
Rebecca recently posted..You Have Kids

Amber January 3, 2011 at 9:06 am

Well good for you! That’s awesome. I’m definitely going to be better about it. I swear by the prenatal ones. Pregnant or no, they seem to do a good job of giving me the nutrients I need (plus my nails grow awesomely).

Jen January 2, 2011 at 3:33 pm

This is a really good way to think about resolutions. I think I am going to take a page from your book. :)

Amber January 3, 2011 at 9:05 am

The page is yours to take. One less thing to stress about, right?

Meg January 2, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I love this post! I have been following you for a few months and relate so often to what you write :) This is my focus this year too, just simply take care of me every day. It is not a resolution that I have to worry about all year. I just have to wake up and resolve to be the best me for me and my family every day! A lot easier said than done! Why is it that the things that are healthiest for us are the easiest to stop doing?!? HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Meg recently posted..NO Resolutions

Amber January 3, 2011 at 9:05 am

Yeah, that’s what I’m going to try to do too. It seems like a better way to look at it, doesn’t it?

Erin January 2, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I dig your view – as I often do:)

Amber January 3, 2011 at 9:03 am

Well ya know what they say about great minds and all…

Nina Badzin January 3, 2011 at 12:02 am

So I’m ignoring all health resolutions this year! I made a fun one–check out more blogs! Love the design on yours and the posts I’ve checked out! Looking forward to seeing more!
Nina Badzin recently posted..In Defense of Facebook Lurkers

Amber January 3, 2011 at 9:03 am

Well I’m certainly glad that resolution of yours led you to me! Thanks for stopping by – I look forward to getting to know you!

Jo January 3, 2011 at 7:33 am

Are you taking a Vitamin D supplement? Most people in our area of the country need it. I think I’ve been healthier since I started taking 200 mg a day (it helps your immunity among many other things).

Jo January 3, 2011 at 8:04 am

Make that 2000 mg, I left off a zero!

(Florida) Girl with a New Life January 3, 2011 at 8:52 am

I still don’t have a real resolution yet. My brain is still percolating on this one.

Moving my butt would probably be a good idea.

(Florida) Girl with a New Life January 3, 2011 at 8:54 am

Oops. Fixed my link back.
(Florida) Girl with a New Life recently posted..Your Advice- Measuring Happiness

Amber January 3, 2011 at 9:01 am

Well, you know. It’s the expected one. I’m sure my round 2 of resolutions will be better.

Missy @ Wonder, Friend January 3, 2011 at 5:37 pm

I just decided today to join Weight Watchers Online. I was hoping just signing up would make the pounds melt off, but you’re saying I have to work it? Bummer… ;) I really am kind of dreading the point-counting, but at the same time I know that I need to do something tangible like that. I do best when I am writing things down, even though I do become obsessive…

I love your goals and am trying to do the same things over here. Here’s to 2011!
Missy @ Wonder, Friend recently posted..Pavlov and His Dogs

Amber January 4, 2011 at 10:27 am

It’s easy to obsess when counting points…especially with this new way they have of doing things. I had the formula all figured out before. I think you can become “buddies” on the site. We should buddy up!

Andi January 3, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Good for you!!! I like your steps! Look how quickly Tori’s baby steps became running. .. I’m sure your baby steps will lead to the same!!!

Amber January 4, 2011 at 10:26 am

Thanks for the support! And congrats again on the baby news!

Andi January 6, 2011 at 10:22 am

Thanks girl. I must be crazy for wanting to do this all over again!! But, gosh darn it, these kids of ours are just so cute!!!

Amber January 6, 2011 at 1:40 pm

That’s what makes it all worthwhile. Babies and puppies. Both just cute enough to keep ‘em around.

Allison @ Alli n Son January 4, 2011 at 8:58 am

Sounds like a totally doable list. Here’s to a healthy new year.
Allison @ Alli n Son recently posted..virtual coffee

Amber January 4, 2011 at 10:26 am

Cheers to that! Doable. That’s my key word this year. I think it’s a good one!

Megan (Best of Fates) January 4, 2011 at 11:17 am

Processed foods and I have a relationship similar to a cocaine addiction – I need them but I know I shouldn’t.

But the highs are SO good.
Megan (Best of Fates) recently posted..Awkward Vignettes

Amber January 5, 2011 at 9:01 am

That’s a good analogy. I’ve noticed if I cut out all the sugar, I get the shakes for a while. Damn those chemical engineers!