Could Dieting Be a Cinch?

When I signed up to review Cynthia Sass’ new diet book, Cinch!, it was with a fair amount of skepticism. A diet veteran, I know the pounds never come off without a lot of hard work and determination.

But you know what? I found this book to be a pleasant surprise.

Every part of her plan seems to be grounded in sound science. And while she’s promising big results – up to fifteen pounds in a mere 30 days, she isn’t promising a miracle cure. If you choose to try her plan, you’re going to have to seriously rethink the way you eat. There’s no red meat. No meal bars or reduced-calorie cookies. No processed food at all, as a matter of fact.

Instead, you’ll be eating lots and lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains, lean proteins and plant-based fats. You know, real food. Foods that even those of us in pretty serious denial about the relative unhealthiness of our diet know are good for us.

And the recipes? Sound pretty damn delicious. Black bean tacos with cilantro jalapeno guacamole. Zesty cranberry walnut parfait. California chicken burrito bowl. Even – get this – trufffles. As in, the chocolate kind. She insists you eat a serving of dark chocolate every day.

Plus, she gives you a lot of good hints on seasoning with “SASS” (her name is Cynthia Sass, get it?). But her recommendations are right on the money. Lots of herbs and citrus fruits, garlic – even tea. I’m enough of a foodie to know that cooking with ingredients like that is almost guaranteed to make your meal taste better.

More important, her meals don’t sound all that difficult to make. I think I could throw the majority of them together after a busy day at work (with a little advance planning). And while I’m not sure that I could get my toddler to eat this way, I’m pretty my husband would be on board.

Long story short, I’m going to try it. She recommends beginning with a five day Fast Forward plan, which demands you eat five prescribed meals each day with a fairly limited ingredient list – spinach, eggs, almonds, raspberries and yogurt. Tough? Yes, I’m guessing it is. But at the moment, I feel like my brain needs some re-programming, so I’m going to give it a shot.

I’m going to start on Monday. I’ll check in with you next Saturday to let you know how it goes. And if you feel like jump starting your healthy eating efforts by reading a diet book? I’d honestly recommend Cinch!. I actually learned a few things.

Do I think losing the weight using this plan will actually be a “cinch?” No. But I do think I’ll be a healthier person for trying it. And that? Makes it worth doing in my book.

I received a review copy of Cinch! from the One2One network. All opinions stated here are my own.

12 Comments on Could Dieting Be a Cinch?

1. Joey @ Big Teeth & Clouds
    January 15, 2011 at 9:21 pm (5 years ago)

I think we are all in denial about the healthfulness of our diets. That said, I can’t walk away from the M&Ms! Good luck with your efforts!

January 15, 2011 at 9:27 pm (5 years ago)

I do love M&ms. Just not as much as I love peanut butter cups. I don’t think they’ll ever make a permanent exit from my diet.

January 15, 2011 at 10:42 pm (5 years ago)

While great in print, I still think it’ll be really hard because you’ll be making huge changes. Huge changes are very difficult to stick with over the long run. I cut down (not quit) drinking soda and stopped adding salt to my (already high sodium) foods. I’ve lowered my blood pressure and dropped a couple of pounds. It took a couple of months but from what I’ve read ……. the longer it takes to get rid of (as long as you are trying to lose weight) the more likely you are to keep it off.

But that is just MY opinion.

January 17, 2011 at 9:22 pm (5 years ago)

Oh, I know. Trust me, I know. But a quick seven pounds? Well, that would be lovely.

3. Alexandra
    January 16, 2011 at 12:43 am (5 years ago)

I’m with you. It is health that counts, more than appearance. Though, the two will go hand in hand when it’s a healthy balance.

Let us know what works, because as I get older, I realize the importance of staying healthy.

January 17, 2011 at 9:22 pm (5 years ago)

I think you’ve got a big head start on me in that arena. But I will. Let you know. Even if I fail (likely).

4. Lady Jennie
    January 17, 2011 at 3:00 pm (5 years ago)

Let us know how it goes. I’m a diet veteran too.

January 17, 2011 at 9:21 pm (5 years ago)

First day = not so good. Going to try again tomorrow.

5. Erin
    January 17, 2011 at 9:06 pm (5 years ago)

Hey chick – the science behind this CINCH sounds smart – it makes sense –

I am behind you ALL THE WAY – and I’ll be waiting to hear how it is going:)

We are in this together – and…me thinks if we stick with it – perhaps our skinny, sexy selves could meet up at a BLOGHER conference someday and hang out for real:)

January 17, 2011 at 9:21 pm (5 years ago)

That would be fabulous. Even if we don’t get skinny. But San Diego and skinny kinda go together, don’t they?

January 27, 2011 at 8:14 pm (5 years ago)

I Googled the word ‘could’ and your blog came up something like number 5 or 6. Isn’t that awesome?

7. Billy Boroski
    March 3, 2011 at 10:41 pm (5 years ago)

Hi, I think your site might be having browser compatibility issues. When I look at your blog site in Ie, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, excellent blog!