The At Home Christmas Shoot: Outtakes.

For the first year of Tori’s life, I was determined that we would have professional photo shoots for Big Occasions. Unfortunately, I was desperately unhappy with her first professional photo shoot, and only marginally satisfied with our Official Christmas Pictures, so this year, we decided to do it ourselves.

Was the lighting as good as it would have been in a studio? Thanks to the snowy day, no.

Was the camera of professional quality? Hell, no.

Did anyone cry? Nope, and that made it all worthwhile.

I’m not going to show you the ones we’re going with (yet), but here for your viewing pleasure (and maybe a good laugh) are a few that were deemed  almost, but not quite, good enough.

Christmas outtake - me n' Tori

A rare pic of me and Tori, taken to get the light settled on.

Christmas Outtakes...the three of us

Mom n' dad look great. But what happened to Tori's head?

A Christmas kiss

Haaallllp, they're sucking my face off!

A Mid Air Pep Talk

I told you modeling is hard work. You gotta earn your bottle, kid.

Tori turns it on

I'll smile, but I better be getting a cookie for this.

Are we about to land ourselves a modeling contract? Well, no, obviously. But hey, it was a hell of a lot less painful than trekking to Sears, waiting in a crowded, hot, stuffy waiting room full of screaming kids for 45 minutes for a ten minute photo shoot and then being bullied into purchasing a $65970326590953 photo package.

In fact, we ended the photo session happier than we started it. And that? Is what Christmas is all about.

21 Comments on The At Home Christmas Shoot: Outtakes.

1. Erin
    December 12, 2010 at 9:50 pm (5 years ago)

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE LOVE LOVE your daughter!!

She is gorgeous and looks so much like you!! You are so lucky!! My daughter resembles me ZERO – if I didn’t know she came out of me I would question her roots!!

anyway – great pics – fabulous photo shoot!!!
    Awesome stuff!

December 12, 2010 at 10:09 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks lady. She does look a lot like I did when I was a kid…so much so that my husband sometimes pouts. But her expressions? Pure daddy. It’s comical.

2. Phyllis
    December 12, 2010 at 9:51 pm (5 years ago)

These are WONDERFUL! And the last photo of Tori is SO precious!! WTG Amber!

December 12, 2010 at 10:09 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks! I’m glad others don’t think these suck. I admit, I was a little worried.

3. Meagan
    December 12, 2010 at 9:57 pm (5 years ago)

Honestly, you don’t need a fancy camera to get a good picture. Lighting is actually the hard part. My husband has been a professional photographer for the last several years (although he’s getting out of the business) and that’s really the big difference. The pictures look great.

December 12, 2010 at 10:08 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks Meagan, I appreciate it. I have aspirations toward opening a completely amateur yet pro photo business, and have asked for umbrella lights and that. Maybe someday? That and a Canon Rebel (drool) would be beyond awesome. A girl can dream, right?

• Meagan
        December 13, 2010 at 8:37 am (5 years ago)

My husband is going to clear out some of his gear. I can see if there is any he might sell that would be useful for you.

December 13, 2010 at 9:33 am (5 years ago)

Awesome! Thanks, Meagan!

4. Sarah @ This Heavenly Life
    December 12, 2010 at 10:01 pm (5 years ago)

These are the outtakes?! Gorgeous! What a sweet family, and — obviously — a SMART family for saving on outrageous, dissatisfying pro-photos. Good job :)

That last one of Tori is good enough to be THE picture, if you ask me :) Such a doll.

December 12, 2010 at 10:07 pm (5 years ago)

I like that last one too, but Bri said something about her foot being blurry. Whatev, that’s what I say.

5. Tiffany@Lattes&Life
    December 12, 2010 at 10:02 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve been *meaning* to do this ever since we bought our camera last year. Have we done it? No. But you’ve inspired me to pay a little more attention and make it happen. Your pics are adorable!!!

December 12, 2010 at 10:06 pm (5 years ago)

Well thank you! You totally should. It’s not “too” much hassle. Mind you, I’ve been trying to make this happen for three weeks straight, and this was the first time the stars aligned and I managed to find my daughter, my husband and myself in a good mood.

December 12, 2010 at 10:03 pm (5 years ago)

We have started using Portrait Innovations and am completely pleased with their prices and with how everything is set up. They will let you leave and come back the next day or later that day if your child is fussy when you arrive. (They charge NO sitting fees) They have a very nice $10 package that has a sizable amount of photos in the package, it’s one pose and several copies of that one pose but still worthwhile.

Then what I normally purchase is …….2 poses of the kids together and 2 poses of each of the kids alone. I get 3 sheets of each pose. I get to pick whatever type of sheet I want….all wallets, all 8×10 or anything in between or a mix of whatever I want (Do I make sense) They also give you the portrait CD with that………it’s about $150.

I love love love that place. AND, they will start in one room and spend about 15 minutes and then move to the other room and spend about 15 minutes. (Longer if it takes awhile to get the shot you want or shorter if you feel everything is working out)

They also do all the free enhancements and stuff and collages and …I just love that place.

December 12, 2010 at 10:05 pm (5 years ago)

Huh. Thanks for the tip. I’ll look them up, but I think the nearest one is an hour away. Small town = endless hassles with just about anything and everything. It’s good to know good ones exist though!

7. Tiffany Moore
    December 13, 2010 at 12:33 am (5 years ago)

LOVE them!!! you did WAY better than we did- we just gave up.
    I can’t wait to get the kiddos together again, we should plan for next summer!

December 13, 2010 at 9:34 am (5 years ago)

Next summer sounds great…mostly because I like saying the word “summer.” Summer, summer, summer…

Seriously, we have to get the kiddos together at some point.

8. Good Grief Charlie Brown
    December 13, 2010 at 10:05 am (5 years ago)

Out of all the red and green shirts I own and I have like dozens, I wear the exact same one I had on last year.

9. Stephanie
    December 13, 2010 at 11:15 pm (5 years ago)

Tori is so big, and that smile, do you even have any snow left?

December 14, 2010 at 9:10 am (5 years ago)

Ha! I wish we didn’t! It does warm the air around her though…

10. Gail
    December 14, 2010 at 5:56 pm (5 years ago)

Not to be a downer, b/c I LOVE the pictures, but something Heather Spohr wrote popped into my head when you showed a rare pic of the two of you together. She said to get in front of the camera more. Even if you don’t like what you see, take picture with your kids…b/c you never know what can happen. Not very Christmas cheer-y, but thought I’d pass it along:) Keep up the good work!!

December 15, 2010 at 10:10 pm (5 years ago)

You’re right. The problem is, I tend to be the one behind the camera, so it’s hard. But I’m going to make more of an effort next year to pass it to someone else and say “here, shoot this.”