Thirteen Days In and I Haven’t Quit Yet.

So, it turns out this trying to write a novel in thirty days thing? Is kind of hard.

You have to write every single day, whether you feel like it or not. Whether the story’s flowing or not. Whether you’d rather stick hot pokers under your fingernails or not.

But it’s going pretty well, for the most part. I have more than 18000 words—and 56 pages—so far, which is more than I’ve ever written in my life.

My characters are alive, and rambling around in my head.

The story seems to have taken on a life of its own.

And I have a vague idea of where I’m going.

But I’m pretty sure at least 50 percent of what I’m writing is pure crap.

However, despite a crisis of confidence yesterday, I’m almost positive I’m going to be able to pull this off (knock on any hard wooden surface you have handy).

I might be a third-rate novelist without a prayer of being published, but a novelist I (almost) am.

13 Comments on Thirteen Days In and I Haven’t Quit Yet.

1. Christina
    November 13, 2010 at 11:28 pm (5 years ago)

Hooray!

2. Andi
    November 14, 2010 at 11:06 am (5 years ago)

Omigod that is SO great. They – the ubiquitious “they” – always say that the more you write, the more you want to write. And that’s what makes you a writer. Congrats! Keep it up – we are all pulling for ya!

November 15, 2010 at 9:03 am (5 years ago)

Thanks lady! I crossed the 20,000 word mark this weekend. And promptly went, “Holy shit, I just wrote 20,000 words!”

3. Erin
    November 14, 2010 at 12:10 pm (5 years ago)

wow!! You are pretty damn amazing!! I fell off the writing wagon and was promptly run over by it. But…I still feel the story have pledged to return.

Good for you!!! Your self proclaimed “third rate novel” is light years ahead of the one stuck in my head!!!

Rock on which yo bad self:)

November 15, 2010 at 9:02 am (5 years ago)

That story will make it out of your head sooner or later…you’ll just be a little more sane than some of us come December 1.

November 14, 2010 at 3:31 pm (5 years ago)

Writing is hard. But once the words flow everything falls into place. Keep up the good works and don’t forget to read for inspiration.

November 15, 2010 at 9:02 am (5 years ago)

I could no more stop reading than I could navigate the world without my contacts/glasses. That said Jane Eyre was not the best choice for this month…

5. Kelli
    November 14, 2010 at 5:03 pm (5 years ago)

Keep it up! I’ve only got 12,800 words. I’m making it. Originally I was hell-bent on making the November deadline. But now, I think I’m just focusing on finishing when the novel is ready to be finished, probably December. Still a descent accomplishment, but I really wanted to ‘win’ nano.
    Good luck! And I’m sure yours is better than you think.

November 15, 2010 at 9:01 am (5 years ago)

Win shmin. As long as you’re writing regularly, you are a winner (however, hypocrite that I am) I’m still trying desperately to win).

6. Jen E @ mommablogsalot
    November 14, 2010 at 6:03 pm (5 years ago)

Sounds like you are doing awesome! My novel is going much better than I thought it would which is not to say that I think it’s really well written so much as “holy crap I’m still writing!”

November 15, 2010 at 9:00 am (5 years ago)

I think as long as you’re still writing, it means you’re writing well!

7. Coma Girl
    November 15, 2010 at 9:46 pm (5 years ago)

Good for you!!

8. Charlotte
    November 18, 2010 at 10:07 am (5 years ago)

You should be so proud of yourself–think of what an amazing achievement that will be to have your first draft finished!!! :)