It’s Only For a Little While.

Oh, toddlerhood. It’s full of belly laughs, epic tumbles and tantrums. Lots and lots of tantrums. But every time I find myself wanting to scream with frustration or hit the fast forward button on time, I remind myself. It’s only for a little while.

When she abandons her high chair in favor of my knee, and chooses to eat from my plate rather than her own, I remind myself. It’s only for a little while. So instead of getting annoyed, I slip her another bite.

When she wants to play ring around the rosy for the hundredth time, I remind myself. It’s only for a little while. So I risk a churning stomach and twirl her round again.

When she chatters at me in Tori speak, telling me stories I can’t even begin to understand, I remind myself. It’s only for a little while. So I get down on the floor and listen hard.

When she sticks to me like super glue, crying “Up, Mommy!” every time I put her down, I remind myself. It’s only for a little while. So I ignore my screaming muscles and pick her up again.

When she reaches for me from her crib, wanting yet another hug before she goes down for the night, I remind myself. It’s only for a little while. So I scoop her up and hold her tight.

When she wakes up screaming for Mommy in the middle of the night, I remind myself. It’s only for a little while. Someday I won’t be able to chase away the fears that haunt her in the night. So I go to her and I hug her and kiss her and rock her back to sleep.

She’s my baby now. But she won’t be for long. So I try to cherish every moment, knowing that this time we have together? It’s only for a little while.

26 Comments on It’s Only For a Little While.

1. Jenn
    November 16, 2010 at 8:47 pm (5 years ago)

Beautiful post, and so, so true!

November 17, 2010 at 9:15 am (5 years ago)

Thanks. It is true…and a truth I need reminding of often.

2. Kelly
    November 16, 2010 at 9:00 pm (5 years ago)

I needed this reminder tonight.

November 17, 2010 at 9:14 am (5 years ago)

Glad to be of service. I predict I will be digging this out and reminding myself of my reminder many many times in the months to come.

3. Erin
    November 17, 2010 at 1:40 am (5 years ago)

I only have one “toddler” left and I get so tired that I sometimes wish her to be older – this post is so beautiful and such a perfect reminder to enjoy every moment becauase they will be gone too soon! Thanks!

November 17, 2010 at 9:13 am (5 years ago)

I wrote it after a loooong weekend of screaming, teething and hair pulling. I too needed the reminder.

4. erica
    November 17, 2010 at 9:30 am (5 years ago)

Oh, you and I are kindred spirits! When can our babies play together? I think they would love each other…

A little while… Sherry, from Baby Pop Designs, told me yesterday…. 4 1/2. It all gets better when they are 4 1/2!

Hang in there!

November 17, 2010 at 1:33 pm (5 years ago)

Someday we’ll have to get those two together! Not the least because I’d love to spend some time with Bea’s mommy!

November 17, 2010 at 10:23 am (5 years ago)

The way some define a little while is quite mystical to me. Eighteen years is a long time if you ask me. Ha ha ha. I understand what you’re saying. I do the same. But sometimes, I just turn my brain off and lock myself in the bathroom. It’s only for a little while.

November 17, 2010 at 1:32 pm (5 years ago)

I think we all need to do that once in a while. That’s why bathroom doors have locks.

6. Gail
    November 17, 2010 at 12:59 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks for reminding me:)

November 17, 2010 at 1:32 pm (5 years ago)

You’re welcome. :-)

7. sara@domesticallychallenged
    November 17, 2010 at 2:58 pm (5 years ago)

Oh Amber, I tell myself this all the time too! WIth every stage! I love each of them, but they certainly have their ups and downs, don’t they?

November 17, 2010 at 10:36 pm (5 years ago)

Yep. More ups than downs, thank goodness. At least so far. 😉

8. Sarah at the Stroller Ballet
    November 17, 2010 at 7:39 pm (5 years ago)

What a lovely post! It brought tears to my eyes. I’ve been feeling all mushy lately, too :). And by the way, I haven’t been by here in a while but your new blog design is BEAUTIFUL! I absolutely love it, xo.

November 17, 2010 at 10:36 pm (5 years ago)

Awww, thanks! I’ll tell my husband you said so (he did it). I’ll stop by soon – I was just talking about how I get in visiting ruts. Must. Break. Out.

November 17, 2010 at 10:35 pm (5 years ago)

You’re welcome. That was my sappy post for the week.

9. Lady Jennie
    November 18, 2010 at 3:08 am (5 years ago)

I know. I think that all the time and my heart aches (when I’m not screaming at one of them). :-)

10. Megan (Best of Fates)
    November 18, 2010 at 9:10 am (5 years ago)

I don’t have kids but I was just thinking about how much this applies to every aspect of life – how everything is so transitory and we should remind ourselves of that often so we don’t miss out.

Whew, so deep for a morning thought!

(I try and keep all deep thoughts to the end of the day, so I can go home and take a nap after thinking them!)

11. Charlotte
    November 18, 2010 at 10:05 am (5 years ago)

Awwwwww, this gave me goosebumps. So beautifully written, and I’m glad you are cherishing each moment you have while she’s still in her toddler phase (though I give you SO MUCH CREDIT for the endless game of Ring around the Rosy. I think I’d vomit if I did that repeatedly, LOL!!).

12. Allison @ Alli 'n Son
    November 18, 2010 at 11:14 pm (5 years ago)

So true! I need to remind myself of this when my son demands my attention for what seems like every second of every day.

November 19, 2010 at 9:18 am (5 years ago)

You and me both, sister.

13. sherri/the claw
    November 19, 2010 at 3:20 pm (5 years ago)

do I have to feel this way when I’m wiping someone’d poopy booty? Just curious, I have trouble appreciating those moments, but yes, you are right. They grow up fast.
    Thanks for the comment and for following…I am following you right back.

14. Lily
    December 16, 2010 at 3:32 pm (5 years ago)

Awww! You are so lucky! My girl is the same age as yours and she has never been so affectionate! Beatrice is just extremely independent. She only wants “up” when she can’t reach something and she calls for Daddy at night. She is always on the go and likes playing alone or with other kids. Not her Mama. But that’s okay. I’ve got my new baby boy who lives to flirt with me :-)

December 16, 2010 at 8:50 pm (5 years ago)

Mine’s a total mommy’s girl. I keep telling the hub we need to have another one to even things out!