A Shared Mommy Moment.

This morning, Tori was a beast. She didn’t want to sit in her high chair. Didn’t want to have her teeth brushed. Didn’t want her hair done.

In fact, I literally had to hold her flailing body down with one arm while trying to force the shirt over her head with the other to get her dressed (she prefers to be naked these days).

In short, by the time I arrived at her daycare, I was a flustered mess (I’m pretty sure I remembered to put deodorant on, but…)

So when I saw another frustrated-looking mommy pulling a fully costumed Spiderman out of the car, I smiled, knowing how she felt.

She got to the door ahead of me and saw me smiling at her. I think she thought I was questioning her mommy skills, because she said, “He just insisted on wearing that costume today. I couldn’t talk sense into him.”

“I feel your pain,” I replied. “This one doesn’t want to wear clothes at all. I practically had to strap her down to get her dressed this morning.”

She nodded sympathetically, and  as our eyes met, we shared a moment of perfect understanding.

As we parted ways, her calling to her Spiderman to slow down, me pleading with Tori to stop pulling my hair, I felt a little better about the world.

We’re all in this together—and every mom is equally clueless.

8 Comments on A Shared Mommy Moment.

November 10, 2010 at 9:58 am (5 years ago)

You should have invited her to coffee…..if you both had jobs to go to…..they can wait for a 30 minute coffee break, right?

November 10, 2010 at 4:07 pm (5 years ago)

Ha. That would have been nice. But the time cops here at work would not have been too pleased. 😉

2. Jen
    November 10, 2010 at 11:59 am (5 years ago)

I recently had a similar moment with another mommy. I was trying to get all the kids in the and not have the get killed in the parking lot by running and she was going to same thing. We looked at each other and instantly we both agreed, shopping with kids, SUCKS!

November 10, 2010 at 4:06 pm (5 years ago)

It does indeed, and I only have one. I don’t know how you get anything done! It’s nice to know you’re not alone in the world, isn’t it?

3. Lady Jennie
    November 10, 2010 at 4:54 pm (5 years ago)

Those shared mommy moments are SO validating!

November 12, 2010 at 8:45 am (5 years ago)

Yeah. Two days later the thought of that spiderman running from her still makes me smile.

4. Erin
    November 13, 2010 at 6:13 am (5 years ago)

This is AWESOME!!!

On Thursday I brought a 2 year old wearing a hot pink shirt, blue polka dot stretch pants (size12 months) and NEON green tinker bell slippers to daycare, I carried a WAILING 4 year old into the building, growling at him, “You will NOT have a Banana – you will have Lucky Charms or you will have nothing!!” and my “coatless” 6 year old held the door for us.

I am the SpiderMan Momma – I thank my lucky stars that we are all in this together!!!

My eyes met with a woman feeding her son

November 15, 2010 at 9:05 am (5 years ago)

I think we are all the “Spiderman Momma” on some days…and that’s a good thing.