Wordful Wednesday: An Ethical Dilemma

Before I had Tori, I swore up and down that I’d never enter her into any sort of modeling competition/beauty pageant/ain’t-my-kid-cute contest. I mean, I’ve seen Toddlers and Tiaras. That’s no life for a kid.

But she really is cute—people stop us to tell me so every time we’re out. Plus, she’s pretty photogenic—and a natural ham.

Enter American Baby’s  Cover Contest. The prize is a thousand bucks and a trip to NYC for a photo shoot. And I? Am tempted to enter (that’s a lot of bones for college). I’ve even gone so far as to choose pictures for this imaginary contest entry.

Check it out:

What do you think? Am I turning into one of “those” mothers? Should I just  forget I ever saw this contest advertised? Or should I go ahead and enter?

Lend me your wisdom, dear readers. And visit my talented friend Alicia at A Beautiful Mess for more Wordful Wednesday fun.

9 Comments on Wordful Wednesday: An Ethical Dilemma

1. Jenn
    October 27, 2010 at 9:59 pm (5 years ago)

You’ll only turn into one of those mothers when you’re forcing your child to do something she obviously is unhappy doing. And also when you end up spending more on hairspray than the prize money amounts to … good luck! She’s a cutie!

October 28, 2010 at 10:54 am (5 years ago)

Well she’s too young to be unhappy yet, right? Thanks!

2. Sarah
    October 28, 2010 at 9:29 am (5 years ago)

Fret not, what’s the harm in entering? If you get selected and you head to NYC and are creeped out by the whole process then you’ll know that it’s not for you. $1,000 in a 529 plan isn’t too shabby.

October 28, 2010 at 10:54 am (5 years ago)

I know. It would be the first $1000… That’s what I was thinking.

3. Stacey
    October 28, 2010 at 9:31 am (5 years ago)

There’s a world of difference between entering a cute baby contest and shoving false teeth in her mouth, gluing false eyelashes on her lids and painting her face in the style of Tammy Faye Baker.

Send in the pics.

4. BalancingMama
    October 28, 2010 at 7:25 pm (5 years ago)

There’s nothing wrong with a photo contest. Just don’t get so caught up in it that you put your goals ahead of her enjoyment. There is no harm in entering. If she makes it really far or wins, then you can think about whether it’s something she may like to pursue. Make sure it’s her interest, not yours, before it goes too far. And all will be fine. Good luck if you enter!

October 29, 2010 at 2:02 pm (5 years ago)

I prob’ly will. After all, chances of her getting selected are 1 in a million, right? It’s not like the poor thing has Giselle genes or anything…

5. erica
    October 28, 2010 at 8:30 pm (5 years ago)

I love the one where she is laying down.

Seriously, you should enter! It’s not like you’re making her get a spray tan and wear those fake teeth… yet…

October 29, 2010 at 2:01 pm (5 years ago)

I could use a spray tan though…red head with orange skin? That’d be attractive, right?